Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

D51 Cab Question Options
Peter10
#1 Posted : 12 December 2015 14:00:41

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi Guys,
I currently have a D51 build log in progress in the "Members Motor & Loco Build Diaries" and I was wondering what the cut out in the cab wall under one of the front windows was for? I am up to pack 24 and I can't find any reference to it in the instructions. I am looking to do some mods inside the cab and I can't complete them until I know what goes there, if anything.
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 12 December 2015 16:36:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Peter

A metal box will go in front of the cut out and it holds the ends of the reverse bar, the cut out is there to aid the fitting of this reverse bar and its fixing at the front end. These parts are provided in pack 25 thats why you have no reference to them as yet.

Regards

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Peter10
#3 Posted : 12 December 2015 18:55:41

Thanks for that Andy.
Can you tell me if the reverse bar protrudes into the cab? and if so, by how much ? As I'm looking to add some extra bits on the left side of the backhead and I'm worried about interference with them.
Much appreciated,
Pete.
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 12 December 2015 20:09:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Peter

The reverse bar sticks into the cab by a couple of mm on mine when fitted but the gap is needed as the bar will go further in during the fitting stage. Im not sure if its possible to fit the reverse bar without this gap. Maybe waiting until you have fitted the reversing bar and then adding your mods might be a good idea.

Regards

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Peter10
#5 Posted : 12 December 2015 23:44:22

Thanks for that Andy.

I suppose I could also trim the end off the part of the reversing bar that may interfere with my Mods as it will be hidden by the box anyway.
something to ponder....

Pete.
alemo
#6 Posted : 13 December 2015 12:20:58

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Pete

Take look at Tomick's Official D51 build diary, lots of pictures of reverser and bars.
You may need to reload/refresh view several times to get all the pictures to come up.

Alec
Built: Bluenose, Arab Dhow, HMS Bounty, Hummer H1, D51, Spitfire,E type Jaguar.
In Progress: HMS Victory, , Yamaha YZR-M1

Adapt, improvise, overcome.
Peter10
#7 Posted : 13 December 2015 16:07:29

Hi Alec,

Thanks for that.

I forgot about the official build. After looking I have decided to fit the extra mods in the cab and deal with the reverse lever when necessary. If that means I have to shorten it a little, than so be it. It's going to be hidden by the box in front of the cab anyway.
Also, looking at the 360 degree picture of the cab that Alan provided I'm thinking about installing a roof light inside the cab wired up to the wiring for the front spotlight.

Regards,
Pete.