Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123>
San Srancisco II Virgin Builders Blog/ Stress relief Options
davetwin
#21 Posted : 16 December 2015 16:30:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Nice looking work there James, I can fully relate to man flu as I have also been suffering the last couple days. I have found a miracle drug that works wonders and makes you feel so much better, shhhh don't tell your other half though LOL it's the Night and Day Nurse tablets.

Imuse photo bucket myself for photos but I'm guessing it's very similar, in photo bucket you use the 'direct link' to post between the img control codes in the forum post. The direct link will be just like a web address so when it is posted in the forum it will look like this (I've had to add the full stops otherwise it wouldn't show, you wouldn't have them)

[.img]http://photobucket.com/user/folderpicturein/picturename.jpg[./img]

magpie1832
#22 Posted : 16 December 2015 17:46:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

spineman wrote:
Martyn Ingram wrote:
BigGrin Hi James funny enough I like deck planking to . Looking good m8 are you going to fill the bow with balsa as it will pay dividends later on Cool Hope you get over the man flu soon

Rgd Martyn

Cheers Martyn
That was something I was debating with myself in my workshop, wife now thinks either
A) I am having an affair via phone, with another boat builder
B) I am losing the plot and will be getting me sectioned

Cheers

James

Mine used to be like that. Your always on your phone or the computer. Etc etc. LOL
Shes ok now shes glad of the peace and quiet. She has even bought me a boat for xmas so happy days.
Your doing great job on san fran. Your deck planking looks too notch.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

spineman
#23 Posted : 16 December 2015 21:34:49

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thanks Dave for the photobucket info will help diary flow more naturely,
Thanks to everyone for comments
Gandale
#24 Posted : 17 December 2015 00:10:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nice work to date James, coming along nicely....Cool Cool .. You'll find those balsa infills will be worth all your effort when it comes to planking....Cool Cool .. Keep up the good work,,,,,

Regards

Alan

spineman
#25 Posted : 17 December 2015 16:37:20

Borrowed most amazing tool from son, off to that DIY place to get one. Its called a Dremel

How long I hacked with chisels/planes/sandpaper many moonsBlushing , all done in 1/20th of the time still a little wary of it lest it eateth more than planned for it, not this excited since Scotland last qualified for the Round ball World Cup finals. Tackling stern infill's with some trepidation
spineman
#26 Posted : 18 December 2015 08:27:34

Got the hi speed toy, but out of things to pare down! Just packing & clamping stern spaces overnight for enthusiastic, but cautious, use of Dremel on stern packing tomorrow

Been awake since three A.M wanting to start electrical wood butchering, but can't work unless Pink Floyd/ELP/YES/King Crimson/ Tangerine Dream playing at volume max plus one

spineman attached the following image(s):
StBD nalsa pack.jpg
stern port bits.jpg
Stern Port clamp.jpg
Martyn Ingram
#27 Posted : 18 December 2015 09:08:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin looking good James I am with you on the music trouble is I build in the kitchen so I have to use headphones so the wife doesn't hear it as she is not into thrash metal LOL

A little tip with balsa is if you line the grain vertically it is easier to carve Cool

Happy building rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
spineman
#28 Posted : 18 December 2015 13:06:08

Had considered that Martyn, thought the extra strength gained by mixing the grain direction would enhance the "solidity" of the infill's at either end. More so now that I have the Dremel it chews it's relentless way through whatever. Having plenty of practice with various offcuts to get feel & RPM optimised before getting too close to anything which can't be stuck back together

Regards
spineman
#29 Posted : 19 December 2015 14:39:45

Moderately pleased with my infill, this whole project is one huge learning curveConfused , albeit a pleasurable oneMellow

Think I got carried away and removed too much infill..... but I have cleaned the phenomenal amount of dust created by balsa wood & over enthusiastic use of new Boy's Toy. ATMIT don't want another 2mm of dust!

Torn between workshop & Live European Rugby... and there are a couple of beers in the fridge..... dare I risk alcohol infused modelling later? Don't drink & Dremel?BigGrin
spineman
#30 Posted : 15 January 2016 21:32:47

FOLLOWING IMAGES MAY CAUSE DISTRESS TO MODEL BUILDERS DISCRETION ADVISED

Going to try to salvage using brackets and building balsa blocks to hold altogether, not best description future pics may help, any suggestion all welcome, off to lie down in dark room to calm down
spineman
#31 Posted : 15 January 2016 21:35:20

Photobucket is driving me insane, will post images once I can work out what the hell I am doing wrong

magpie1832
#32 Posted : 15 January 2016 21:45:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Sorry to hear of the mishap. Everything is salvagable. Once you sort the pictures out sure we can advise you in some way.
Chris.
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

nightwisher
#33 Posted : 15 January 2016 22:18:04

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Think you may need to change your title, good luck with the repair hope you can save her.
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
michael.rolph
#34 Posted : 15 January 2016 23:44:19

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

spineman wrote:
Photobucket is driving me insane, will post images once I can work out what the hell I am doing wrong

Hi it looks like you are trying to link to the album rather than the individual images
Gandale
#35 Posted : 16 January 2016 14:50:47

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Really sorry to hear there has been a problem. Am sure we can assist once we see and know the extent of the damage... Hope to see some detailed pics soon.....

Regards

Alan
spineman
#36 Posted : 16 January 2016 20:10:32

FOLLOWING IMAGES MAY CAUSE DISTRESS TO MODEL BUILDERS DISCRETION ADVISED

Going to try to salvage using brackets and building balsa blocks to hold altogether, not best description future pics may help, any suggestion all welcome, off to lie down in dark room to calm down
magpie1832
#37 Posted : 16 January 2016 20:22:07

Hi Spineman
I see what you mean now the pics show. If the pieces push together then like you said use a couple of l brackets and balsa blocks with clamps. It should then hold in place. As once the planks go on that will hold it aswell.
Chris
On the bench

birdaj2
#38 Posted : 16 January 2016 20:44:08

Calm

It looks possible terrible when you have workeked so hard to get this far.

What you need to remember is that the false keel as its call is the frame worknto hold your planking which when in place will be like having a plaster cast on your leg.

So as already posted yo need to get that false keel back in place and it does look like it will slot together well.

You could then use a couple of bracing pieces either side of this mend.

Once your decking and planking are in place you will be fine.

Please don't get dis-heartened by this as you can pull this one back on track and just think of the satisfaction when you finish and look back.

Hope it all goes well for you - you have support from the lads and lasses on here so focus and go for it Love
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Martyn Ingram
#39 Posted : 16 January 2016 20:45:16

BigGrin Wow that is beaten up but I think it looks a lot worse than it is as Chris said as it has tags that are sticking out so it will help line it up and the blocks will then hold it together and once the planking is on that will strengthen the hull Cool
Good luck and if you need some more help then just shout ThumpUp

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Gandale
#40 Posted : 16 January 2016 21:29:29

Hi Spineman, this can most certainly be salvaged as it is not as bad as it may look. This is what I would do.

It is mostly a clean break on the false keel along the forward bulkhead.
Step one, cut a slot on that forward bulkhead from the bottom of the keel to underside of the deck. Cut the slot on both sides of the false keel at least 5mm wide and clean up any glue left on the keel.
Step 2, cut two blocks (one for either side) of 5mm ply and at least 60mm wide, block should stop at the bottom of the keel.
Step 3, glue the block into the slot you have created up to the mast support, clamp and allow to dry completely.
Step 4, then join the two halves together making sure everything lines up, glue, clamp and allow to dry.
Step 5, once happy glue and insert the block on the other side, clamp and allow to dry.
If necessary, you can also fit small blocks (10mm x 10mm but not balsa) either side of the bulkhead to ensure the bulkhead remains square to the keel.
Finally, sand any overhang of the 5mm ply blocks level with the bottom of the false keel.

You'll then have a strong joint and providing you have lined the keel up correctly then the joint should be strong enough to take the rigors of planking....

Hope this helps and good luck with the repair, done right and you'll never know the mishap happened...

Regards

Alan