Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Painting questions Options
jbk
#1 Posted : 12 December 2015 00:26:34

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

After stumbling across this model and seeing all the excitement as well as the builds in progress (having not done any model building since I was a kid), I've decided to take the plunge BigGrin.

Since I've never done much in the way of model painting, I'm wondering if there's any downsides to priming and painting the hull pieces w/ the suggested insignia white paint as they arrive (to save a bit of time in the future, and just to be able to do a bit more), leaving the other details and weathering until later in the build process (possibly near the end).
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 12 December 2015 01:14:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi jbk

Firstly welcome to the forum and the build of your dreams. Personally I will be waiting until I have received the full top and bottom sets before hitting it with any paint as doing it in bits as the parts arrive could lead to different shades of paint leading to a patchwork quilt look.

The kit parts are pre painted and maybe taking a look at the assembled main hull parts and deciding if you are happy with them as supplied then maybe some dirtying up with washes or pastels will do the trick rather than an entire pro type paint job.

To do a good job on a respray of the hull you will need to invest in a good airbrush and compressor you could use rattle cans but this can work out expensive cost wise in the long run. But if you choose the washes/pastels and weathering route this can be a lot cheaper as sets can be bought at reasonable prices to give some very good results.

Some parts will need to be cleaned up like the casting lines/burrs on the guns which im sure will be well within your skills but all I am saying is it your model build it as you see fit and what your happy with.

Whatever route you decide to take when you build your model dont forget to ask about anything your unsure about as we are here to help and if your inclined to do it a build diary will be appreciated by all the builders on the forum.

Regards

Andy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#3 Posted : 12 December 2015 11:11:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi jbk, a very warm welcome to the forum, you've come to a very friendly and helpful place and am sure you'll enjoy your time with us.... Enjoy the build and hopefully you will decide to share your experiences with us all....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
jbk
#4 Posted : 12 December 2015 21:05:56

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi jbk

Firstly welcome to the forum and the build of your dreams. Personally I will be waiting until I have received the full top and bottom sets before hitting it with any paint as doing it in bits as the parts arrive could lead to different shades of paint leading to a patchwork quilt look.

The kit parts are pre painted and maybe taking a look at the assembled main hull parts and deciding if you are happy with them as supplied then maybe some dirtying up with washes or pastels will do the trick rather than an entire pro type paint job.

To do a good job on a respray of the hull you will need to invest in a good airbrush and compressor you could use rattle cans but this can work out expensive cost wise in the long run. But if you choose the washes/pastels and weathering route this can be a lot cheaper as sets can be bought at reasonable prices to give some very good results.

Thanks. I think I'll probably try my hand at painting it -- it sounds like using the suggested lacquer base coat will give me some room for error (and given what it is, it shouldn't look perfect) which makes me feel better about attempting it.

Yeah, I assumed I'll probably need to start looking into airbrushes at some point.

arpurchase wrote:

Some parts will need to be cleaned up like the casting lines/burrs on the guns which im sure will be well within your skills but all I am saying is it your model build it as you see fit and what your happy with.

Whatever route you decide to take when you build your model dont forget to ask about anything your unsure about as we are here to help and if your inclined to do it a build diary will be appreciated by all the builders on the forum.

Regards

Andy

I plan to once I get started (just ordered it a few days ago, so might be a little bit before I get anything going, especially with travel + Christmas coming up.
arpurchase
#5 Posted : 13 December 2015 01:40:05

BigGrin Glad to be of help and that your tacking the plunge on the painting just remember we are here to help so ask even if you think its a silly question as it may be relevant to other people just starting out like yourselfCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

jbk
#6 Posted : 21 December 2015 00:01:50

Well as a few people have noticed, I started my build log (though obviously not a lot there yet).

I would like to take a shot at painting the seats (front and back ones) for the cockpit. I figure I can't do worse than the dark orange :) Will any of the future issues (I only have 1-4) or videos have any plans to give tips for painting the interior? I did see that there'll be info for painting the hull, but didn't see anything about the interior parts.

Nytetrain
#7 Posted : 21 December 2015 02:47:31

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the forums jbk. You can look at others builds here on the forums for painting suggestions. I would first get a decent can of primer like Tamiya. You will want this to provide a base coat for your finished color to stick to. If you try and paint those neon red seats with a color like light tan or such you will see that red colored plastic seep through. While adding another coat of your finished color might help hide the red plastic your adding layers of paint. You want to keep layers of paint to a minimum so that you don't lose details on the parts. For videos and such just Google Deagostini Millennium Falcon. There's some great vlogs out there on painting and weathering. There are a lot of very talented people building this model here. Soak up all the information you can here. Look forward to seeing your progress.

Ron
Best Regards,
Ron

On the bench: DeAgostini '67 Ford Shelby Mustang, Hachette Space Battleship Yamato 2202, Agora Models T-800 Terminator
Finished builds: DeAgostini Toyota 2000GT
In the Stash: Losing count...
jbk
#8 Posted : 21 December 2015 03:54:16

My thought was probably:

• primer
  • darker tan (I believe a few people have used Tamiya khaki)
  • layer of a lighter tan (perhaps deck tan)
  • a wash (just to shade the creases)
  • maybe a bit of pastels
  • matt varnish to seal it in once I think it looks good (I know this might lighten the pastels a bit)

I won't be able to get to it until after christmas (will be traveling to the surprisingly not-so-frozen-this-year tundra of the north for the holidays BigGrin), so I'll have time to do more research in the interim.
Nytetrain
#9 Posted : 21 December 2015 03:58:43

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Yea, I live here year round. Been pretty mild this year. Good plan so far for your build. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Plenty of helpful people here to assist. I believe you can seal pastels with a pastel fixer or hairspray then coat with a matte finish. I have never used them so others would know better.
Best Regards,
Ron

On the bench: DeAgostini '67 Ford Shelby Mustang, Hachette Space Battleship Yamato 2202, Agora Models T-800 Terminator
Finished builds: DeAgostini Toyota 2000GT
In the Stash: Losing count...