Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Anyone Plan on Building Her Without Any Aftermarket Enhancements? Options
rabidcatfan
#1 Posted : 28 December 2015 16:13:46

Groups: Registered

I was just curious if anyone plans on building the Falcon without the numerous after-market enhancements available out there? I know that when I first started thinking about taking on this task, I was originally planning to do a realism-based build and try to recreate everything on the ship down to the smallest detail, but then I began thinking more about it and realized that what I really want is an exact replica of the filming prop which did not have any interior detail at all, nor did it have a fully realized cockpit. So, I may end up just building her straight from the supplied parts, but the scale modeler in me will probably resist this at every turn. I'm just curious what others are doing.
darbyvet
#2 Posted : 28 December 2015 18:26:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I have 2 subs for the Falcon and for one I am going to do just a stock build.For the other I will probably do some scratchbuilding for the interior.I have a felling that I will rarely be looking inside the finished model so I am not too worried about how the interior will look.

Carl
rabidcatfan
#3 Posted : 28 December 2015 19:20:36

I agree Darbyvet. I don't think I'm going to be spending much time looking at the interior of the ship either which is why I'm hesitant to spend too much time and money nitpicking over every minute detail if it's just going to stay closed off 99% of the time. The actual 32" filming miniature and the Master Replicas version of the ship do not have a scale interior portion and I think that is how it really should be, but since we are given the parts to build the interior I will do so, but it will be with the parts I get in the kit.

The only thing I might even remotely consider changing out would be the interior floor. There is one on Shapeways that looks so much better than the stock floor and if I buy only one thing aftermarket it would be that.
jaws062666
#4 Posted : 28 December 2015 20:06:02

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

darbyvet wrote:
I have 2 subs for the Falcon and for one I am going to do just a stock build.For the other I will probably do some scratchbuilding for the interior.I have a felling that I will rarely be looking inside the finished model so I am not too worried about how the interior will look.

Carl

Hi Carl,
I was charged on the 18th for shipment 11, and at the time the customer service person said the issues were on time. I still have not gotten a shipment notice, and now they are telling me that the issues are back ordered again. Has this happened to anyone else, and why do we keep getting charged when the issues are not even in the country yet?
My current builds: The Millennium Falcon, Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa, Ford Mustang Shelby
Nytetrain
#5 Posted : 28 December 2015 20:51:28

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

You could build the interior as a completely separate model like some people are doing and not even install it in the hull. I have seen others do this also. Make the Falcon as you want it on the outside and then go crazy with the interior and show it as a separate piece.

Ron
Best Regards,
Ron

On the bench: DeAgostini '67 Ford Shelby Mustang, Hachette Space Battleship Yamato 2202, Agora Models T-800 Terminator
Finished builds: DeAgostini Toyota 2000GT
In the Stash: Losing count...
darbyvet
#6 Posted : 28 December 2015 21:05:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

jaws062666 wrote:
darbyvet wrote:

Carl

Hi Carl,
I was charged on the 18th for shipment 11, and at the time the customer service person said the issues were on time. I still have not gotten a shipment notice, and now they are telling me that the issues are back ordered again. Has this happened to anyone else, and why do we keep getting charged when the issues are not even in the country yet?

Hi there,
I sent you a PM .I can help get this sorted for you

Carl
rabidcatfan
#7 Posted : 28 December 2015 21:15:36

Nytetrain wrote:
You could build the interior as a completely separate model like some people are doing and not even install it in the hull. I have seen others do this also. Make the Falcon as you want it on the outside and then go crazy with the interior and show it as a separate piece.

Ron

Wow..never thought of doing it like that. Although I don't think I'd have any extra space to display the Falcon interior separate from the hull.
Lickintoad
#8 Posted : 29 December 2015 05:48:47

I'm going without mainly. I'm not wholesale replacing any parts, though, or carving holes into my floors. I'm mainly interested in the exterior.

That said, I'm still considering the chair in the hold, and I've got some ideas for sprucing up the hold without any physical modifications (i.e. just using some decorations).
davetwin
#9 Posted : 29 December 2015 12:34:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I did start off spending out a lot on aftermarket parts for the interior but since then I have realised that I am not going to be spending to much time looking at the interior so my plans for all the rest of the aftermarket has been scrapped and will now just build as supplied. Anything extra from this point will be customised lighting or scratch built
rabidcatfan
#10 Posted : 29 December 2015 14:27:18

I will probably do some work on the interior and probably try scratchbuilding a few things or going the apoxie sculpt route, but I dont think I'm going to worry about ordering anything pre-made. The Falcon is going to cost a ton as it is, no need to add extra expense for something trivial. The exterior looking film accurate is the only thing I truly care about anyway.
Enormicon
#11 Posted : 01 January 2016 02:04:20

I've just ordered and will not be adding anything to the interior as I can't see myself ever displaying it opened up (ideally it's going to be in a glass table like colson's - thanks for the on-going inspiration!), but I plan to load up the cockpit with aftermarket pieces and fibre optics.
Metal Mech
#12 Posted : 02 January 2016 05:49:07

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I am not going to go crazy either. Originally I thought about adding all the cool movie accurate stuff, but for me this build is more about the building then the replicating factor. I originally was going to go the route of interior outside in its own display case because I was going to mount the falcon on the wall. I have since found a coffee table I love for displaying it and going that route. I will open it up from time to time, but not often so not going crazy.

Plus I have kinda decided to make this not the falcon since the majority are building the falcon. I am thinking Star of Tion, or just my own design. I will be going a little more hard core on the outside. I kinda want to make it look likes its brand new, or been restored by someone with money. I will buy certain detail parts via shapeways for anything I feel is a better design, I.E. the quad blasters, and maybe the little machine gun that hangs down, if that's something DeAg doesn't provide. So it will be more pick and choose, but I expect this to be a 90% stock build as far as parts are concerned.

I have seen some nice mods done on this site using just the factory cockpit parts that add a bit more detail but not going overboard. Considering most people won't be taking up close looks, its just not important for that level of detail. Plus I am the biggest Starwars geek out of most of my friend and family and they will just be impressed by its sheer size and could care less about details.

DeAgostini kit builds:

Millennium Falcon: 18% Complete
Shelby GT-500: 28% Complete
Thunderbird 2: 13.75% Complete
rabidcatfan
#13 Posted : 04 January 2016 15:35:51

Well, I started my build over the holiday weekend and am now up to issue 9. I'm definitely building the cockpit stock since I don't see the need to drop $100-$200 extra just adding some fiber optics and some details that'll be tough to see without a flashlight or something. I will be adding the ESB crew though(the only aftermarket pieces I plan to buy), because it won't be the same without them.
LeviathanPrime
#14 Posted : 13 January 2016 17:48:07

Groups:

Actually the cockpit is the one I'm most likely to upgrade. I've seen a ton of people working on the interior sections and I feel like you'll either barely see them open and a lot of people didn't consider the angles that you can view it from so now half their work can't be seen without mirrors. The cockpit is the one section of the interior I plan on having on display at all times. I feel that the decals look kind of lame compared to most of the detail you see elsewhere. I've seen great 3d printed ones but I'm considering just getting some photo etched parts for the back wall and kit bashing some instrumentation onto the main control panel and removing that sticker as well. I'm also surprised that there isn't any levers coming from the overhead section of the canopy. Again, I might make my own but I've also seen some 3d printed solutions for this. I'm still uncertain how far I'll go with this or how much I'll be willing to spend. I'll worry about it when I get closer to completing the upper hull.