Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Scratch Built Nav Console Chair Options
rabidcatfan
#1 Posted : 18 January 2016 20:27:24

Groups: Registered

I decided I didn't want to spend $15 on a Shapeways Nav Console chair so decided to take a stab at scratch building one. This is my first attempt at scratch building ever.

what do you guys think? I'll post more pics once its dry and I've painted and weathered it.
rabidcatfan
#2 Posted : 18 January 2016 20:29:34

I know it's not completely screen accurate, but it took literally 20 minutes to make out of a bag of Evergreen Styrene odds & ends, so I think it does the job.
birdaj2
#3 Posted : 18 January 2016 22:35:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Go for it my friend. What you are doing is modelling and i take my hat off (although not actually wearing one LOL ) bcause that is exactly what modelling and crafting is all about.

In this day and age it is so easy to just go and buy, and i would never condem that as there are somevgreat products out there. However in my view i think its the main obstacle to young people coming into this hobby.

You get a kit "but its not very good" you have to have this item, and that item and a stash of cash to buy it all.

I think what you have produced is brilliant. Some may lack the skills and prefer to buy but look at you - you have tried and won. could have tried and not got the required result but you modelled rather than buyed and produced something that looks very good.

Fair play to you as you have produced sonething that looks great and YOU made it.

Hope the rest of your build goes well
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Plymouth57
#4 Posted : 19 January 2016 11:49:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Couldn't agree more! There are some fantastic looking models out there which were 'built' using nothing but third party add ons and enhancements - they look brilliant (if you can afford it!)Blink
There is far more to be learnt about 'modelling' however from your approach, each scratch built part makes the finished model more unique and personal as well as constantly improving your modelling skills!Cool
Well done and keep adding those bits in!BigGrin

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Warthog
#5 Posted : 19 January 2016 12:53:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Brilliant work and could'nt agree more with what has been said aleady.. doing your own mods and conversions makes the model more unique.

Great stuff and look forward to seeing what else you bring to the table BigGrin

Spencer
rabidcatfan
#6 Posted : 19 January 2016 17:15:06

Thanks guys! I will post more pics later. I painted it last night. Need to weather it too.