Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

HMS Pandora - canon recoil securing ropes Options
eugene.lombard
#1 Posted : 04 October 2010 18:20:41

Groups: Registered

Huh

I am at a loss trying to understand the rather cryptic drawing detail provided with a Constructo Kit (1:85 Scale) of my HMS Pandora model. Attached are two JPEG files, one showing the drawing and one of a completed Pandora discovered on the Internet.

I am trying to reconcile the two files. Please can somebody help to unravel the drawing to the final construction as partly seen in the photograph of the centre deck area with the csnon circled in red.

Further, is there a "standard way" to secure a canon of that era to tbe deck with ropes to alleviate the recoil of the canon? Perhaps the Constructo Kit could be assembled this "standard way", if there is such a thing, or are all models different in this repsect?

Eugene
Bow - This is what you do in front of your banker when you are asking for more money to spend on your boat. As your boat will surely cost much more than what you initially asked for, it is imperative that you learn how to do this quickly.
File Attachment(s):
Cannon recoil securing ropes.jpg (310kb) downloaded 132 time(s).
Misc 006.jpg (2,294kb) downloaded 103 time(s).
NEVER play leapfrog with Unicorns !!
Lonestar Spirit
#2 Posted : 05 October 2010 12:02:23

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Sorry I cant help with your issue, however there are some very skilled builders on here, and some fantastic researchers, I'm sure they will be along shortly to help, if not, Give Tomick a PM, the guy will do his best to help, and he has a wealth of experience.

PS I like your build mate, why not share a build diary with us?
Ship Builds on the go

Yamato - DeAgostini Subscription - Highly Recommend This Model
AKAGI - DeAgostini Subscription - Highly Recommend This Model
RMS Titanic Lifeboat (Kind Gift from DeAgostini Crew)
magpie1832
#3 Posted : 05 October 2010 12:43:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Eugene,

Here is a Pic of a canon on HMS Surprise which is also a Frigate ship from the same era. If you rigg your canon this way you won't be too far out if anything...

Chris..

On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Mike Turpin
#4 Posted : 05 October 2010 14:17:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

Hi Eugene

This is a picture I took on board HMS Trincomalee which is Europe's oldest floating warship.

You will see that the breech ropes which control the recoil are actually not very long because contrary to popular belief the cannon only recoiled a couple of feet on board British ships. Just enough to allow for re-loading.

The other tackle is for running out the guns after they have been reloaded. Notice how the long end of the rope has been neatly flaked down into a coil.

The third tackle hooked around the end of the carriage, would be taken to a ring bolt near the centre of the deck during action and was used to keeping the gun in the re-loading position on a sloping deck.

This photograph is how I finished my guns on my HMS Halifax model which is also a Constructo kit.

You'll notice that the guns have no breech ring at the rear of the barrel and the rope passes around the gun.

Hope this helps

Mike T

eugene.lombard
#5 Posted : 05 October 2010 15:02:27

Thanks you guys !! ... there is enough for me to do what I have to do !!

Eugene

NAUTICAL JARGON:
Bridge - Something you cross to get to the other side of a body of water when you do not have a boat available. Can also used for removing masts of sailing vessels if the bridge is low enough.
NEVER play leapfrog with Unicorns !!