Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Battle of Verdun Options
Gandale
#1 Posted : 20 February 2016 09:57:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

The longest battle of the WW1, the Battle of Verdun also known as the 'Meat Grinder' begins. Lasts some 10 months and achieved nothing.

http://www.dailymail.co....d-achieved-NOTHING.html

Some incredible WW1 pics here.

Regards

Alan
birdaj2
#2 Posted : 20 February 2016 10:16:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Those are indeed some very interesting pictures.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
jase
#3 Posted : 20 February 2016 20:52:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

What a load if tripe!!!!!!!!

Verdun was a significant German stratagy to win the war by destroying the French army phisycly as well as destroying there will to continue fighting as such it us a major victory for The French and ultimatly although prolonging the war was the moment the Germans had to look to other options having proved the western front was not a winable line

In military terms the lack of land movment and the casualties are irelivent to a military achivment the genral lack of understanding of the public and the ignarance of the press pedeling historical clap trap is not helpful and is disrespectful to the many thousands who gave ther lives in such an important battle

Daily Mail is just epensive loo role!!!!
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
birdaj2
#4 Posted : 20 February 2016 21:30:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

jase wrote:
What a load if tripe!!!!!!!!

Verdun was a significant German stratagy to win the war by destroying the French army phisycly as well as destroying there will to continue fighting as such it us a major victory for The French and ultimatly although prolonging the war was the moment the Germans had to look to other options having proved the western front was not a winable line

In military terms the lack of land movment and the casualties are irelivent to a military achivment the genral lack of understanding of the public and the ignarance of the press pedeling historical clap trap is not helpful and is disrespectful to the many thousands who gave ther lives in such an important battle

Daily Mail is just epensive loo role!!!!

Either way a terrible desruction of life and property on both sides. Does anyone ever "win a war" ? Not for here but you only have to look at european politics to start thnking (was it really worth it).

That aside i was a little terror at school ( now a very large terror Blushing - too much loving my food) and was more inclined to look at pictures rather than look at words ( and no i am not a vintage SUN reader LOL ). As much as the text may not have provided the facts as wanted you cannot take anything away from those pictures - very emotive and puts so many things in perspective. I had the privilage of having a grandfather who served in this campaign. I was so young when he passed away but he never spoke of it. All these years later I reflect on his demunur - he sat quite in his chair, grew roses and as i think back had so many dark days in his mind.

time and people are never good at reporting history - so many things get forgotten and so any things have no importance to people in this day and age Crying

Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
Gandale
#5 Posted : 21 February 2016 00:42:05

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

History is interpreted by people in many different ways, how it's interpreted is what charges beliefs, arguments and debates. An author in the main will write what he believes or interprets in his research of a story and its down to the reader to decide whether they believe the author or decide to challenge his content. The same can be said with pictures even where they say a picture paints a thousand words, what one viewer sees may be entirely different to that seen or interpreted by another viewer. Who's right? That's down to each individual to interpret and decide for themselves...... All I do is point people to the story and let them decide for themselves.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
birdaj2
#6 Posted : 21 February 2016 10:39:15

Gandale wrote:
History is interpreted by people in many different ways, how it's interpreted is what charges beliefs, arguments and debates. An author in the main will write what he believes or interprets in his research of a story and its down to the reader to decide whether they believe the author or decide to challenge his content. The same can be said with pictures even where they say a picture paints a thousand words, what one viewer sees may be entirely different to that seen or interpreted by another viewer. Who's right? That's down to each individual to interpret and decide for themselves...... All I do is point people to the story and let them decide for themselves.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Very true Alan. I was surprised by the number of pictures they pulled together for this article.
Happy Modelling

Gandale
#7 Posted : 21 February 2016 11:36:34

birdaj2 wrote:
Gandale wrote:

Regards

Alan

Very true Alan. I was surprised by the number of pictures they pulled together for this article.

Pictures on this article I also found very thought provoking. For me it simply showed the appalling conditions these guys on both sides had to endure....

Regards

Alan