Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages «<234
2015 -- Gauner's HMS Victory -- Diary Options
Gauncer
#61 Posted : 07 October 2015 05:18:50

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I have a question. I am at Stage 22: "Planking the hull continued".

Part 6: "Complete this layer of planks (the fifth layer of planking). Note that the fifth plank overhangs the end of the gallery supports, and that the top of the plank sits above the level of the supports. It will be
sanded down later, but leave it for now."

My question/problem is that my 6th row of planks will sit about the gallery supports. Is this okay? Did I do something wrong?

Thank you and looking forward to your replies.

-JG
In the workshop: HMS Victory
Finished builds: Providence Whaleboat
Gandale
#62 Posted : 07 October 2015 07:32:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Jordan, not sure if you've done something wrong or not as we can't see the stern area, a pic would be helpful. What I will say is double check the stern ribs (28 onwards)are fully seated all the way down in their slots. Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Gauncer
#63 Posted : 07 October 2015 16:35:22

Thanks for the reply Alan.

Once I get back to my work beach I will take picture of the stern, and measurements of the timbers.

Cheers and thank you.

JG
Gauncer
#64 Posted : 08 October 2015 18:58:13

I have more info regarding my post about STAGE 22.Confused

First off Frame 31 is fully seated I check that before I glue it into place along with the gallery supports (its was a question ask early in my build).
I started my first row a planking aligned with the bottom of the plank flush with the underside of the lower gun deck. Row 2,3 and 4 are done.

Than I saw my problem arise for row 5. In the book and online Stage 22: "Planking the hull continued” states;

Part 6: "Complete this layer of planks (the fifth layer of planking). Note that the fifth plank overhangs the end of the gallery supports, and that the top of the plank sits above the level of the supports. It will be
sanded down later, but leave it for now."

My problem is (as you can see in the picture) the fifth planking will not sit above the level of the gallery support, Layer 6 for me will.

I though maybe the timbers are a problem and I measured several bags. Each plank/timber hight range from 5mm to 5.3 mm.
My measurement from lower gun deck to second gun deck is 28mm. So if I divide 28mm by 5 layers of planks each plank should be 5.6mm to reach the second deck.
When I was planking I was not aware of the plank sizing from 5mm to 5.3 mm.

At the end of the day I have to put down a 6th layer of planking for my plank to sit above the gallery support. Do you guys foresee a problem if I do this.

Were did I go wrong if I did and what do I need to do or consider in the future of this build?

I provided many picture and detail shots.

Thanks guys!
Gauncer attached the following image(s):
IMG_5934.jpg
IMG_5937.jpg
IMG_5936.jpg
IMG_5935.jpg
IMG_5933.jpg
IMG_5932.jpg
IMG_5931.jpg
IMG_5930.jpg
IMG_5929.jpg
IMG_5928.jpg
IMG_5927.jpg
IMG_5922.jpg
IMG_5921.jpg
IMG_5920.jpg
IMG_5919.jpg
IMG_5916.jpg
Gauncer
#65 Posted : 08 October 2015 23:02:04

Anyone have any feedback about the above post?
I am planning to work on her tonight and dont what to move forward till I have some feedback.

JGBlushing
Gandale
#66 Posted : 09 October 2015 00:09:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Jordan, thanks for providing the pics, they are indeed a great help.... I've been having a good look at your stern and I don't see anything out of the ordinary. It appears your ribs are fully seated and your gallery supports appear to be in the correct place. The difference you are seeing where your 5th planking row is slightly below the gallery supports could simply be down to the variances in the plank widths. From what I see I think you can continue as you are as I don't see anything that will cause you major issues down the line. Anything minor can be dealt with as you go along... Cool Cool

Will keep a close watch as you progress so keep those pics coming...

Regards

Alan

Gauncer
#67 Posted : 09 October 2015 00:12:07

Right on Alan.

Thank you.
stevie_o
#68 Posted : 09 October 2015 12:26:22

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Gauncer
#69 Posted : 09 October 2015 12:46:37

Thanks Steve. I thought that might be the case but was not sure. Being a beginner and everything I was just a little worried but I'm super happy with the build I'm in a great time!

Jordan. 😎🍻
davetwin
#70 Posted : 09 October 2015 15:00:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Gauncer,

I'm a beginner like yourself and can see you've already had some advice from two very experienced ship builders.

I was just going to say that when I was planking my Santisima Trinidad the planks didn't follow exactly what the instructions said which I'm guessing is due to slight variances on the planks as already mentioned.
Gauncer
#71 Posted : 09 October 2015 23:54:28

Thanks you guys! Moving onto several more planks.
Gauncer
#72 Posted : 12 January 2016 23:50:57

Hi everyone, I was asked to upload my jig plans for sanding down planks.
If you have questions ask away.

-Jordan
File Attachment(s):
PANK 45 SANDER copy.jpg (427kb) downloaded 16 time(s).
PANK 45 SANDER copy.jpg
Gandale
#73 Posted : 13 January 2016 00:24:29

Looks great Jordan, thanks for sharing.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
z8000783
#74 Posted : 13 January 2016 07:23:39

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

That's clever. I have one of those. Thanks for the idea.
Gauncer
#75 Posted : 08 March 2016 22:46:22

Hello people!

It has been sometime sense last post. Life happens and so does planking and more planking. For the past few weeks I have been non other than planking, which I find fun. Cutting the cannon ports out well I would like to know what I did in another life.....

I have taken a few picture to share and I will post more as them come. Side note, I am going for a natural look for the HMS Victory.

Enjoyu.

-Jordan
IMG_0160.jpg
IMG_0164.jpg
IMG_0165.jpg
IMG_0166.jpg
IMG_0167.jpg
IMG_0168.jpg
IMG_0169.jpg
IMG_0170.jpg
IMG_0171.jpg
IMG_0172.jpg
IMG_0173.jpg
IMG_0175.jpg
birdaj2
#76 Posted : 08 March 2016 22:55:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very nice update. The planking us the longest part of the build but your getting through it well and then its onto all the lovely detailing
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Gandale
#77 Posted : 08 March 2016 23:56:54

Hi Jordan, great to see an update on your build..... She's coming along nicely. Planking is a long job so just take your time and you'll get there....Cool Cool Cool .. look forward to your next update....

Regards

Alan
Gauncer
#78 Posted : 09 March 2016 00:23:23

BTW I found a perfect pillow to hold the hull of the ship. A Buckwheat Pillow Sized 20" x 15"

It has saved me the frustration of the ship rolling around while I glue, pin and plank. Small enough to fit on my bench and the buckwheat forms to the ship. Love it.

See photo of my pillow in action. Cheers.

-Jordan

http://www.amazon.com/gp...h_aui_detailpage_o05_s00
IMG_0160.jpg