Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages «<456
Magpie 1832's SanFrancisco II Options
jase
#101 Posted : 22 February 2013 08:13:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

budgie wrote:
jase wrote:
My wife quit fancys me building this one for her - may be my next purchase after titanic life boat?!

BigGrin Ordered this my self, recieved confirmation email and user name and password but reading AR Purchase's post not sure if available???
Only been 3 weeks tho but will let u know when arrives

Looking at Magpie and MWGs build diaries it looks a wee cracker of a model so heres hoping still available

Oh okay let me know going to do titanic lifeboat first which is only a 3 month subCool
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
magpie1832
#102 Posted : 22 February 2013 22:03:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Guys,
You will love this build, Not too hard to do but very rewarding as it is a dream to build and looks awesome done.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

budgie
#103 Posted : 11 March 2013 19:59:42

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

jase wrote:
budgie wrote:
jase wrote:
My wife quit fancys me building this one for her - may be my next purchase after titanic life boat?!

BigGrin Ordered this my self, recieved confirmation email and user name and password but reading AR Purchase's post not sure if available???
Only been 3 weeks tho but will let u know when arrives

Looking at Magpie and MWGs build diaries it looks a wee cracker of a model so heres hoping still available

Oh okay let me know going to do titanic lifeboat first which is only a 3 month subCool

Rx email...Love Love on its way in next 48 hoursLove Love
whoohoo!!!
not bad as ordered 4th febCrying

Downloaded destruction etc hopefully it will have arrived by time i get back home in couple of weeksDrool

jase
#104 Posted : 11 March 2013 20:26:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Cool but its causing a small war at home Mad I want to do the titanic lifeboat before i do san fran. but the wife wants me to do the sanfran first decisions decisionsBlink
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
fjjohannn
#105 Posted : 01 November 2013 10:14:06

Hey Guys
I have "completed" my ship some time ago gut gave up on the hoisting of the sails as the instructions are horrific in this area.
Any one have any better ones for me as I am anxious to display it.

Spent a lot of time making sure everything else looks good.
oldseadog87
#106 Posted : 13 May 2014 19:53:01

Hi what a great build just about to start to build this ship myself, how have you done the black on the planking of the deck.
jase
#107 Posted : 13 May 2014 21:34:11

oldseadog87 wrote:
Hi what a great build just about to start to build this ship myself, how have you done the black on the planking of the deck.

Hello welcome to the forum. San fran is a great little modelCool I have used HB pencil on mine, you can see the effect in my build diary. others use permanent marker but I find that can leach a bit.

Jase
-Mark Twain
GoofyFoot
#108 Posted : 30 March 2016 10:24:32

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

She looks gorgeous Magpie! I especially love how clean and precise your hull planking looks! Beautiful job! BigGrin
If at first you don't succeed,

maybe you should skip the chainsaw juggling...
LMDAVE
#109 Posted : 14 July 2016 16:46:07

I know this is an old thread, but this is a wonderful build. I more than half way through my build but don't have a log on this site.

I was curious, does anyone have any history on this Galleon? And this may be a dumb question, but what is the difference between "San Francisco" and "San Francisco II"? I can find some literature on the shipwreck of San Francisco off the Florida Keys.

But was San Francisco II a replica ship that was built years later?
Tomick
#110 Posted : 14 July 2016 19:54:41

Groups:

There is no real life information about San Frnacisco II other than the San Francisco, which had a relatively brief existence, though is a compelling story.

The Spanish Armada of 1588, was a fleet of over 100 ships and vessels sent out by King Phillip II to invade England. Due to multiple opposing factors such as the type of weaponry and tactics used by each side and extreme weather conditions the invasion fleet failed and only about 70 ships returned to Spain. The San Francisco was an active participant in this fleet.

During her participation in the Armada, the she was sailed by Captain Bartoli, who also sailed her for the Duke of Tuscany before the Spanish impounded her.
Many resources agree that the San Francisco was one of the best, if not the best, constructed and armed galleon in the Spanish Armada of 1588. She is known to have taken an active role in many of the Armada battles, and performed notably well. After the Armada’s return both Captain Gaspar da Sousa and Medina-Sidonia commented on how well and often the San Francisco participated in the fighting.
Following the failure of the Armada, the San Francisco returned to Santander (Spain), with nine other ships including the flagship. Unfortunately, the San Francisco was so damaged that she was salvaged for guns and lumber, then left to rot on the shore. Her Captain Bartoli died the following day, presumably from wounds acquired during action against the English.

Some sources claim that the San Francisco sank in Tobermory Bay on the Isle of Mull, Scotland where she was sheltering from the storm that destroyed so many ships of the Armada. Some claim she sunk as a result of the magazine being fired by raiders looking for pay chests or by locals mad at the Spaniards for refusing to pay for food and water that they had taken. An Armada ship did sink in Tobermory Bay, but it was more likely the San Juan de Sicilia.

Just where the title San Francisco II fits in with this is uncertain, its possible that Artesania named their kit this way as a representation of a ship of the time as no plans exist for the San Francisco.

LMDAVE
#111 Posted : 15 July 2016 03:11:11

Great History, thanks! So this link to info on the San Francisco as part of a 1733 Fleet could this be San Francisco II then or a completely different ship?

http://info.flheritage.com/gall...ges/04_San_Francisco.cfm
Tomick
#112 Posted : 15 July 2016 07:17:51

Groups:

Unlikely, Artesania describe their San Francisco II kit as being a galleon of the Spanish Armada and therefore unlikely to have been built in England as your link indicates which also describes it as a cargo ship rather than warship.
LMDAVE
#113 Posted : 15 July 2016 14:29:31

Yeah, finding all the exact stuff can lead you on a wild chase. Now I see there were several ship with the san SF

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sp...ip_San_Francisco_de_Asis
ian smith
#114 Posted : 05 June 2017 22:41:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Chris.
Looks stunning. Ian Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.