Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

i think she should be indoor docked. Options
secretreeve
#1 Posted : 18 October 2010 23:32:25

Groups:

dont get me wrong, visiting the victory in the open air is an amazing experience,

but should she really be left outdoors vulnerable to the harshness of mother nature?

moving her would be to delicate so i personaly recon a shelter should be constructed over her to protect her more from the elements thus making her life as a museum ship even longer, who knows how many years wind and rain have taken off. and with every refurbishment and overhaul more and more of her original timbers are being stripped away, how long before she isnt really the victory anymore? just a reconstruction of an ever lost ship (or would be ever lost by that stage)

plus being outdoors she runs the same risk that the sark,s fire investigation officers first thought.

touch wood (no pun intended) that wont happen. but nature couse cause a fire too. lightning is not forgiving and our weather patterns have changed alot over the last 10 years and condituing to get worse.

its only a matter of time....
One eye
#2 Posted : 19 October 2010 00:06:08

Groups: Registered

It would be a hell of a temporary roof to cover the main mast - over 200' from the dockside, and the structure would then have to take up massive width to support the roof. Why hide such a beautifull man made wooden structure, when she was built to withstand all weathers. No - leave her as she is. All strength and beauty, fearsome from a distance, georgous up close. Just like my own Prize - 28 years of marriage. Crying

The masts are now Victorian cast iron replacements, and also one of her most elegent aspects, as is the gracefull geometric rigging, which we shall all eventually know intimately. Why the hell would you wish to cover all that up. It's like putting a paper bag over Jane Seymores head.

Regarding idiot arsonists and The Cutty Sark, that was disgusting. Victory is within a Naval Dockyard and has substantially more security. I also think she has sprinklers fitted in pertinant places, to prevent such a situation. Also, builders were working on The Cutty at the time, and most of her major timbers are at Chatham - I've seen them on the dock. Paitently awaiting replacement of the devestated hull, before refitting.

I do understand your sentiments though.

See Ya

PS. I thought Victory had lightning conductors fitted.
secretreeve
#3 Posted : 19 October 2010 00:28:58

Groups:

dont know about the lighting gear but i see your points too, its just another restoration is due soon. be a shame to loose her timbers to replacements.

as for the sark, it was an industrial hoover that was left on overnight that set the blaze but the investigators initial thought was arson. this was disprooved, which is nice to know that the local yobs in that area have some boundries.