Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Studio scale Star Wars Y wing Options
darbyvet
#1 Posted : 01 May 2016 16:01:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

OK fellow Star Wars fans this will be my build diary for my studio scale Y wing resin kit.

This is a kit made by Canadian model Alfred Wong.It is 1/32 scale.The finished model is about 19.5 inches long.There is some dispute as to whether it is actually truly studio scale because some feel studio scale y wings should be 1:24

Anyway it is very well molded and can be fitted with lighting for the engines.

I have a lighting kit to light the engines.You cannot light the cockpit since the main part of the cockpit is solid resin.

Pictures to follow.
The plan is to build the lighting kit first and test fit that and then assemble the kit and paint.It will be displayed on a base with death star tiles as the surface of the base.

darbyvet
#2 Posted : 12 May 2016 03:46:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

So here we go. I have placed my 1/72 Fine Molds y wing finished model next to the biggie.

The quality of the resin castings are pretty good.

There are plastic parts and you will need brass rods to replicate the pipes.

darbyvet attached the following image(s):
ywing1.jpg
ywing2.jpg
ywing3.jpg
ywing4.jpg
darbyvet
#3 Posted : 12 May 2016 03:49:58

I will be using a camera mount to mount the model to the base.For the base I will be using Death Star tiles.There are 6 different designs that i will use to make a representation of the surface of the death star.There is also a circuit board and some leds.The board will create a flickering light effect for the engines.That will be the only lighting for the kit.

darbyvet attached the following image(s):
ywing5.jpg
ywing6.jpg
ywing7.jpg
ywing8.jpg
Nemesis
#4 Posted : 12 May 2016 07:50:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

nice kit and very detailed, looking forward to seeing this build!
davetwin
#5 Posted : 12 May 2016 14:32:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That looks like it will build into a very detailed model,and will be a beast
arpurchase
#6 Posted : 12 May 2016 19:58:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks a nice kit and an interesting build
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

RogerThornhill
#7 Posted : 13 May 2016 04:24:25

Very cool build. I will follow this with interest.