Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

15 Pages <12345>»
HMS SURPRISE Build Log by Barry Options
BarryM
#41 Posted : 03 June 2016 09:17:15

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Here's a couple more pics after the first 5 planks have been fitted...

Finished the planking up to 11, they fall about 0.5mm short of the lower center of the hull, I'll leave that till later.
Was going to try some sanding but decided instead to finish off the planking first, bit worried about the bow section as the former's stop at plank 12, is it o/k to just clamp the planks together here after bending or should I extend the former's?

Barry
BarryM attached the following image(s):
03-28 Five planks side rear small.JPG
03-29 Five planks side front small.JPG
03-30 11 Planks Front small.JPG
03-31 11 planks side front small.JPG
03-32 11 planks side rear small.JPG
There's no time like the present.....
johncal
#42 Posted : 03 June 2016 21:26:28

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I extended the formers and added more. Easy enough to do.
Gandale
#43 Posted : 03 June 2016 22:40:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looks like you're doing a great job, she's coming along a treat.....

Regards

Alan
jase
#44 Posted : 04 June 2016 10:06:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Planking coming along nicely, looks great.

Keep the pictures comming
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
magpie1832
#45 Posted : 04 June 2016 14:13:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups:

Hi Barry, answer to your question.
I didn't add any extra formers to the bow. What I did was lightly wet the plank then using a hot plank blender gradually shaped the plank to the correct rounded shape.
Then slightly chamfer the lower back edge of the plank. This will enable for any glue bumps to not interfere with the contact point.
Once you have finished shaping , glue the plank in place on each former and length of plank(remember to wipe glue clean.)
I used pin and clamps to hold in place. If you go through my build you will see the types of clamps used.
Allow to dry thoroughly
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

BarryM
#46 Posted : 04 June 2016 15:45:52

Thank's for the replies and advice gents, really appreciated.

Found that the planks length and width pretty constant but the thickness varied between 1,55 and 2mm...hmmmm. Finished with the rear planking now going to start with the pointy end, I have 9 usable planks left all the same thickness, just done a quick measure and hopefully half a plank will work..be touch and go though, going to need at least seven on each side.

Here,s a couple of pics of the rear end..

Barry

03-34 stern planking complete 1 small.JPG
03-35 stern planking complete 2 small.JPG
arpurchase
#47 Posted : 04 June 2016 18:41:47

nicely done, all looking neat and tidy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#48 Posted : 04 June 2016 21:10:49

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Planking is looking good, coming along a treat...

Regards

Alan
BarryM
#49 Posted : 06 June 2016 14:24:15

Onto the bow section planking, got three planks fitted o/k but then realized that without adding those extra former's as Johncal suggested It was going to be nearly impossible for me to get it right....I was running out of things to stick the planks to...

Cut out a balsa template of what I think the finished planking is going to look like and clamped it in place, the template is 3mm higher than the former's...

Next cut and shape some new bits and glue them in place onto the existing planks...

Here's what it look's like with them fitted, should make it a little easier..

Barry

03-36 Bow inside before add formers small.JPG
03-37 Bow outside before add formers small.JPG
03-38 Bow outside with temp balsa small.JPG
03-39 bow inside with balsa and extra formers small.JPG
03-41 Bow inside with extra formers small.JPG
BarryM
#50 Posted : 07 June 2016 19:28:55

Well got the bow section all planked up, seemed a little high compared to a couple of other builds so I checked in with Chris (Magpie) and he assured me that for the model I'm building it's correct (phew feel better again).
Just got to cut the planking where I marked it, top line is the cut line bottom line is the finish line, then break out the sandpaper and make some thick planking thin, this could take a while...don't hold your breath.

I have one of those small electric palm sanders has anyone used one on their model for the rough sanding or is hand sanding the ticket?????

Barry
03-42 Bow planking complete small.JPG
Martyn Ingram
#51 Posted : 07 June 2016 19:46:16

Hi Barry, I would hand sand the hull as a power sander can be a little harsh and can be hard to handle. It's surprising how much you can take off just with sandpaper. By the way the build is looking good

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
BarryM
#52 Posted : 08 June 2016 10:41:05

Thank's Martyn...well this is an outside job, winter in Durban average hi temp around 25deg C, blue sky's zero wind...it's tough in the tropics but I guess I'm going to have to brave it...mustn't forget the sunscreen.

Barry
Martyn Ingram
#53 Posted : 08 June 2016 11:57:55

Oh how we suffer for our art lol

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
BarryM
#54 Posted : 08 June 2016 16:00:06

Did some sanding today, you were right Martyn not as bad as it looks except don't know whether my arm will work tomorrow....used 120 grit paper cant believe how smooth the Basswood becomes with that coarse grit (it would have torn the balsa & foam I use for my planes to bits)..
Anyway had to come indoors getting towards 5pm, sun dropping below the horizon and temp set to plummet to about 16deg C.

Barry
03-43 First pass sanding starboard rear small.JPG
03-44 First pass sanding starboard center small.JPG
03-45 First pass sanding starboard front small.JPG
magpie1832
#55 Posted : 08 June 2016 23:50:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups:

Top job Barry. Looking good now. Keep up your hard work mate your doing excellent job.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

BarryM
#56 Posted : 09 June 2016 09:12:36

Thanks Chris, I'm beginning to understand why you guys build these ships..there are times in the build like after some of the sanding I have just done where you can stand back and say 'Now that was worth all the effort' Very inspiring..

Barry
BarryM
#57 Posted : 10 June 2016 13:36:19

Still sanding the hull free-board about 3/4 the way through, not going to have much time at it the next few days though....got a whole bunch of various size pieces of wood left over from issue 3 & 4, suppose they get used in the following issues??

Barry
03-46 spare wood issue 3 & 4 small.JPG
BarryM
#58 Posted : 14 June 2016 21:37:15

Eventually got the gun ports marked up on the starboard side, couldn't make my mind up on the correct placement and after looking through all the different build pics I eventually found this original drawing on the net. It shows the position and shape of the ports, the sides are vertical whilst the top and bottom follow the curved shape on the deck...

Now just got to finish sanding the port side, mark the gun ports on it and then cut them all out...issues 5 & 6 are on their way should keep me entertained for a while..

Barry
03-47 Starboard gun ports marked 1 small.JPG
03-48 starboard gun ports marked 2 small.JPG
Gandale
#59 Posted : 14 June 2016 22:37:04

Looking sweet Barry, nice methodical work.... well done...

Regards

Alan
BarryM
#60 Posted : 15 June 2016 12:20:15

Thank's Alan,

Took me three goes to get the ports in the right place where I wanted them and they looked right....The dimensions given on the Deag build document fit just about right with only the last rear port being a bit of a squish then once I had the shapes right I was happy. Haven't cut them out yet, a couple more checks first...only 1 chance here!!!

Barry