Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Better late than never Options
kwakermad
#1 Posted : 16 May 2016 09:06:15

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

After waiting for a decent amount of issues to arrive I have finally started on this epic journey. I was going to wait for all of the issues to arrive but having spent hours and hours reading all of the fantastic builds on here I could not wait any longer, 55 issues in hand at time of starting.

I will not be posting every stage on here as I think others have already done an admirable job of this, I will only be posting my milestones or problems I run into.

At first I was disappointed to read about the poor colour palette of the hull as I didn't think that I would be able to do the Falcon justice as I have never tried to do weathering and washes before. But now having had a read of logs here and watching the official paint videos I am looking forward to the challenge.

So although I was planning an out of the box build I will be having a go at painting, and also seeing others upgrades I will be shamelessly copying some of them. I have the photo etch sets on order, hence I have done non of the interior yet.

So if you are reading this abridged log I thank you and welcome any feedback good or bad.
Regards

Bob

Builds in progress

1/12 Spitfire (Deagostini)
1/8 McLaren (Deagostini)
1/16 Stuka (Hatchete)
1/16 Zero (Deagostini)
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 16 May 2016 13:04:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Welcome to the Millennium forum, I look forward to your progress and pictures. I'm sure you will find all the help on here if you need any.
Mark
kwakermad
#3 Posted : 16 May 2016 13:30:24

Thanks Mark, will be posting a couple of pics tonight.

Bob
Regards

Bob

Builds in progress

1/8 McLaren (Deagostini)
1/16 Stuka (Hatchete)
1/16 Zero (Deagostini)
kwakermad
#4 Posted : 16 May 2016 19:30:35

Well having decided to paint this beast I have been looking at air brush kits, God now I know I am out of my depths. Single/ dual action, Gravity/bottom feed don't even know where to start.

Can people please give me recommendations, hopefully for one that will not need replacing in the future as I get the hang (hopefully) of this detailing skill.

Thanks Bob
Regards

Bob

Builds in progress

1/8 McLaren (Deagostini)
1/16 Stuka (Hatchete)
1/16 Zero (Deagostini)
davetwin
#5 Posted : 16 May 2016 19:46:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the build Bob.

With regards to an airbrush I a Harder & Steenbeck (H&S) man, they are great airbrushes with top quality engineering. I currently 3 H&S brushes, a Ultra 2 in 1 (lower end of the scale) going up to the Evolution CR Plus and Infinity CR Plus which as the higher end a real beauty.

It really comes down to how much you want to spend, I can highly recommend the Ulta 2 in 1 as an entry brush, you get two needle size and two paint cup sizes. This is a dual action brush which will give me much more control however will take a little practice.

At the cheaper end of the scale, but still a great brush, I would recommend a Iwata Neo, again this is a dual action brush and like the H&S a gravity fed brush. Personally I would recommend gravity fed over siphon.

Hope this helps as a starting point
arpurchase
#6 Posted : 16 May 2016 20:39:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Bob

I too am collecting the Falcon and probably will start it at about 55 like yourself.

As for a starter kit for an airbrush I started out with the Kit below and found it to be a great asset. Although the airbrushes provided with the compressor are around the cheap end of the market they do teach you a great deal and you can always upgrade the airbrush's to a better make when your more comfortable with using this medium there are loads on fleabay that are around this price and go for dual action as the control is better with practice in my humble opinion.

http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=posts&t=4242

I tend to like Iwata airbrushes and currently own a Neo, two HP-C Plus, one for oil based paint the other for acrylics and a top of the range Custom Micron.

Regards

Andy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

nightwisher
#7 Posted : 16 May 2016 20:41:06

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hello Bob, after 40 years of modelling on and off I recently took the plunge and purchased a cheapo compressor and an iwata neo ,I ignored everyone's advice and didn't practice on a cheap model and just dived straight in on my snowberry and haven't look back. It's not as scary as I thought, I will leave the recommendations to those who know more.Good look.
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
kwakermad
#8 Posted : 17 May 2016 09:57:06

Thank you for the airbrush comments, will get watching the online instructional videos.

As promised here are some of my milestone photos, forgive the dodgy photos they are taken in a badly lit room that I call my model room.

Here is the bottom hull ribs done, God how I now really hate little black screws.

Here is the lower layer of hull plating fitted, God now I really hate little silver screws.

And finally the second layer of plating on, and some of the little details.

I proudly dragged SWMBO through to see the fruits of my labour only to hear her exclaim 'THATS HUGE WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU PUTTING THAT?' (I forgot to tell her that it will be about a foot longer when finished, Ssh don't tell her). I showed her the following picture, which is what I have in mind, to which she said 'OVER MY DEAD BODY'

So without further ado it is with a heavy heart I have for sale a one owner, never abused, fairly low maintanence, 1970s model, red in colour wife for sale. Cheap or swap for Tamiya Insignia White. 😚
Regards

Bob

Builds in progress

1/8 McLaren (Deagostini)
1/16 Stuka (Hatchete)
1/16 Zero (Deagostini)
Martyn Ingram
#9 Posted : 17 May 2016 11:23:51

I hope you're wife doesn't read your posts lol cracking job through

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
kwakermad
#10 Posted : 17 May 2016 17:45:06

Don't worry Martyn she has no interest in building models mores the pity.

Anyway here is today's effort, did I mention how much I hate those little black screws lol. I can't go any further due to Deagostini not sending me issues 57 and 58, on back order apparently 😡 This being double frustrating as I am itching to see the ramp moving up and down 😭

I have only had one problem so far and that is the pins for the ramp jacks not being the tight fit they should be and so they keep falling out. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you deal with it? My idea is to put a blob of glue in the actuator pad before fitting the pin but thought I would check here first in case that will cause problems.

Bob
Regards

Bob

Builds in progress

1/8 McLaren (Deagostini)
1/16 Stuka (Hatchete)
1/16 Zero (Deagostini)
kwakermad
#11 Posted : 02 June 2016 21:28:32

Thanks for the airbrush recommendations, took them onboard and had a read of loads of reviews, and look at what I came home from work to yesterday. Got to love the postman.

Regards

Bob

Builds in progress

1/8 McLaren (Deagostini)
1/16 Stuka (Hatchete)
1/16 Zero (Deagostini)
Tomick
#12 Posted : 03 June 2016 07:06:26

Groups:

Nice buy, should be great German quality!
kwakermad
#13 Posted : 03 June 2016 07:43:16

Yes Mr T the only problem will be the biff holding it.
Regards

Bob

Builds in progress

1/8 McLaren (Deagostini)
1/16 Stuka (Hatchete)
1/16 Zero (Deagostini)
arpurchase
#14 Posted : 03 June 2016 20:20:30

Nice buy and should do you proud
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

kwakermad
#15 Posted : 07 June 2016 21:54:28

No progress to show at the moment, I'm at a standstill at the moment awaiting delivery of the photo etch I ordered last month and Deagostini have sent me issues out of turn, still waiting for 57 & 58, so no interior work and no exterior work.
Regards

Bob

Builds in progress

1/8 McLaren (Deagostini)
1/16 Stuka (Hatchete)
1/16 Zero (Deagostini)