Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Greys niece needs a doll house (update: not a real update) Options
greyhawk
#1 Posted : 04 June 2016 23:11:45

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

And now for something completely different.

So recently I found out my niece doesn't have a dollhouse.

Of course, this can't stand, so I ordered one.

I know nothing about doll houses, so I ordered one with all the bells and whistles and furniture and everything else one would ever need. And working lights. Of course it needs working lights.

Now I wouldn't be me, if I just bought a finished one, so I specifically ordered one that allows me the chance to build it myself.

Today my dollhouse arrived.

Yup.

That's 1037 parts right there. For 70 Euros.

Everything has to be built. EVERYTHING. Books, tables, lights, beds, pictures in their frames, EVERYTHING needs to be built. I'm either in heaven or in hell.

I also can't believe DeAgo hasn't stumbled upon this yet. They wouldn't even need to put much work into dividing this up for a partwork, as it's divided into a billion substeps already.

There's a 154 building steps in total, but a lot of these steps are really what you would do per issue of a partwork from the amount of work involved per step.

Here's what I did today. Promptly messed up the bottom plate by installing the decorative print not exactly straight, but I'm going to hide this with some veneer strips of wood. Or something.

Gandale
#2 Posted : 04 June 2016 23:32:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nice one, now I can see this Grandad having to make one for his Granddaughter....lol... Thankfully she's only 5 month old right now but will be watching to see how this goes together for putting into practice later.....lol.... Good luck with it...

Regards

Alan
greyhawk
#3 Posted : 04 June 2016 23:49:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Gandale wrote:
Nice one, now I can see this Grandad having to make one for his Granddaughter....lol... Thankfully she's only 5 month old right now but will be watching to see how this goes together for putting into practice later.....lol.... Good luck with it...

Regards

Alan

Don't start too late. With the amount of stuff in there I'm expecting this to be a multi-year project.
Tomick
#4 Posted : 05 June 2016 16:48:10

Groups:

greyhawk wrote:

I also can't believe DeAgo hasn't stumbled upon this yet. They wouldn't even need to put much work into dividing this up for a partwork, as it's divided into a billion substeps already.

DeAgostini did a Dolls House partwork in 2005, complete with lighting, fittings, floor/wall coverings and furniture etc

GilShapley
#5 Posted : 05 June 2016 18:17:24

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I built a two storey Dolls House for my Daughter (now 25) many years ago. Thankfully it has survived and my Grandchildren now play with it. I must admit thought it could do with a bit of TLC (Its on the list) . I have can remember quite vividly my good lady bring home one day a pack of individual roof tiles to be added to the house. Each one had to be glued on individually, bit like copper tiling the Victory.

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
arpurchase
#6 Posted : 05 June 2016 23:03:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks interesting, have fun with it
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gibbo
#7 Posted : 05 June 2016 23:07:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Well this is very different, looking forward to seeing how it goes, good luck with it.
Paul
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
greyhawk
#8 Posted : 06 June 2016 08:37:34

Tomick wrote:
greyhawk wrote:

DeAgostini did a Dolls House partwork in 2005, complete with lighting, fittings, floor/wall coverings and furniture etc

Great, now I have a new life mission to make this mine.
greyhawk
#9 Posted : 07 June 2016 23:17:50

Funny enough, for the first time during my routine ebay check I find parts for DeAgos doll house.

Anyway, on to the one I have.

I've wallpapered the first side wall which went orders of magnitude better and faster than the base.

I've also started work on the lattice windows, which leads me to a question. The window panes are cut from thin transparent PVC (I guess), then pre-lacquered pieces of wood are glued to the panes with the help of a template. The glue delivered with this kit is some wood glue. the wood doesn't really hold all that well against the panes it is used so thing it doesn't squeeze out. It will hold if it's so thick it squeezes out, but that doesn't look all that nice. If I try to clean it, I lose adhesion.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what to use as a glue instead and will not destroy the PVC panes?
greyhawk
#10 Posted : 19 June 2016 17:26:45

I have recruited a helper to guard the building spot against the intrusion of other models trying to claim this place. Hopefully any fights will not leave too much damage.

arpurchase
#11 Posted : 19 June 2016 20:02:23

Try something like this for your windows,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...9bbe2:g:1bUAAOSwKtVW1Z3Z
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

greyhawk
#12 Posted : 19 June 2016 20:24:45

arpurchase wrote:
Try something like this for your windows,

Awesome, this looks exactly like what I need. Thank you :-)