Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Lumpy Rear Diff Options
jaz9000
#1 Posted : 19 February 2014 02:19:44

Groups: Registered

Hi all, after putting the rear diff together several months ago i have realised it is way too lumpy. I have tried adjusting the cup joint for the prop shaft and i have stripped it down several times to make sure all is well. Has anybody else had this problem?
kenjara
#2 Posted : 09 May 2014 17:06:35

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I seem to have this problem as well. No matter what changes I make there is a definite sticking point when rotating the cup shaft.
Finished 3D Printer, RB7, Hummer, Skyrider drone & Combat tank collection

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Tomick
#3 Posted : 14 May 2014 14:41:53

Groups:

It could be that the Ball Bearing, which is installed on the Diff Ring Gear end, is very tight compared to the other end.

There is a possibility that it has causes a tight gear mesh, as it causes the Diff Unit to sit closer to the Drive Bevel 13T and reduces a necessary play (gap) between the Drive Bevel.

As shown in the photos below, by hitting the Diff Shaft from the other end by a hammer or similar (using a wooden block or similar as protection), the Ball Bearing should fit deep enough on the Diff Cap. And it should give the necessary play between the gears. When the gear mesh is too tight after the assembly, hit the Drive Shaft and see if the problem is solved.

If when rotating the Drive Bevel 13T, you may feel there is a high (tight) spot per rotation. As long as it rotates without much stress, it doesn't cause any problem running the model. Once the model is run, the rotation will become smooth.

Tomick attached the following image(s):
IMG_6083.JPG
IMG_6082.JPG
kenjara
#4 Posted : 14 May 2014 14:53:00

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks for the information. I will give this a go.

russell2
#5 Posted : 14 May 2014 20:41:24

Hi,

I followed the instructions and now have 2 smooth running drive trains. Thanks to all involved for this easy if apparently brutal solution.

Russell2.
kenjara
#6 Posted : 20 May 2014 22:25:15

That certainly helped thank you. I kind of thought the same as what they say where as soon as you run the model everything's going to fall into place anyway.

ncall1976
#7 Posted : 19 June 2014 09:14:54

i bought the savage bevel gear to solve problem, a lot smoother fit.
michu
#8 Posted : 06 March 2015 22:41:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Just wanted to confirm that I had the same problem, but after several rounds of dismantling and carefully putting it back together I still wasn't able to make it running smoothly. Neither the hammer trick has worked. I had to contact customer service and they were very helpful and sent me pack 02 again - big thanks to DeAgostini for that. Indeed, my second attempt was much more successful, and although at first I was afraid I'm making some kind of systematic error - the rotation has been lumpy again - after one very light hit with a hammer it now works perfectly. Now waiting for the pack 03.

This is a very satisfying build with all that gears and engineering :-)
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

oldsid
#9 Posted : 22 June 2016 00:40:02

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I tried the hammer trick with no success. Dismantled the case to look at the gears. It sticks at one single tooth of the bevel gear. i don't see anything wrong with that particular tooth but I tried to smooth it a little with a file. Still not any better. Guess I will just run it and hope it smooths out with use.