Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

15 Pages «<23456>»
HMS SURPRISE Build Log by Barry Options
BarryM
#61 Posted : 15 June 2016 16:10:16

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

So here I am showing off my building efforts to my wife and she says "how do you bend those bits of wood like that?" so I says "I soak em in water for a couple of hours then run this nifty little iron I have over them then bend em over a cat food tin..smugly"

Then she disappears and comes back with this little gadget, "why don't you try this hair straightener?", quick as a flash I say "because I want the planks bent" "just try it" she says in a voice an octave higher.
So I soak the plank for a couple of minutes and realize this is a Eureka moment, not only does it do it in a couple of seconds it's also easy to control the shape of the bend.....awesome, and I get to keep it 'cos she doesn't use it any more...Bargain.

Barry
BarryM attached the following image(s):
03-49 Plank bending 1 small.JPG
03-50 Plank bending 2 small.JPG
There's no time like the present.....
Gandale
#62 Posted : 15 June 2016 19:02:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

You see..... wives are clever....lol..... Great tip and thanks for sharing, pass on our thanks to your good lady.....

Regards

Alan
arpurchase
#63 Posted : 15 June 2016 19:58:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice tip and great work
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

BarryM
#64 Posted : 19 June 2016 18:22:41

Busy cutting out the gun ports....managed 5 this evening, probably take me a week at this pace. Also installing the wiring for the LED's...
05-02 Cutting the gun ports small.JPG
Martyn Ingram
#65 Posted : 19 June 2016 18:48:26

Looking good Barry coming along a treat

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Gandale
#66 Posted : 19 June 2016 22:24:54

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Lovely work Barry, just take your time with it and it'll be very much worthwhile....

Regards

Alan
Gibbo
#67 Posted : 19 June 2016 22:45:20

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

BarryM wrote:
So here I am showing off my building efforts to my wife and she says "how do you bend those bits of wood like that?" so I says "I soak em in water for a couple of hours then run this nifty little iron I have over them then bend em over a cat food tin..smugly"

Then she disappears and comes back with this little gadget, "why don't you try this hair straightener?", quick as a flash I say "because I want the planks bent" "just try it" she says in a voice an octave higher.
So I soak the plank for a couple of minutes and realize this is a Eureka moment, not only does it do it in a couple of seconds it's also easy to control the shape of the bend.....awesome, and I get to keep it 'cos she doesn't use it any more...Bargain.

Barry

I'm a hairdresser, why didn't i think of that ? Doh!!
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
delboy271155
#68 Posted : 19 June 2016 23:42:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Gibbo wrote:
BarryM wrote:

Barry

I'm a hairdresser, why didn't i think of that ? Doh!!

I bet more of us have raised babies than are hair dressers and still we don`t use bottle sterelisers as steamers.

I do, but maybe that`s cos I`m an oldie who can`t think of a better use.

LOL LOL LOL

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

BarryM
#69 Posted : 20 June 2016 16:53:15

Yep, there are times that I just sits, and then there are the less frequent times where I sits and thinks...never mind trying to think outside the box (whatever that means)

Then I was busy with the wiring and had a thinking moment...the interior lanterns, what if I obtained some 22cal brass bullet cases (5mm ID) cut them up a bit and fitted them onto 5mm LED's....

Barry
05-03 Lanterns 1 small.JPG
05-04 Lanterns 2 small.JPG
05-06 Lantern mounted small.JPG
ian smith
#70 Posted : 20 June 2016 17:06:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Barry.
Looking really nice, keep the pictures coming. hope you enjoy your new plank bender.
Ian
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
delboy271155
#71 Posted : 20 June 2016 19:42:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Ingenious work on the lantern.

WTG

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

BarryM
#72 Posted : 20 June 2016 20:18:19

Thank you gent's, I'll put the lamp away for awhile and concentrate on the gun ports, got 10 cut out on the port side three to go and then start the inner planking, not sure whether I should line the ports at this stage?? Think I will just make me feel better....then off to the starboard side.

Barry

BarryM
#73 Posted : 21 June 2016 19:02:52

Managed to get all the Port side gun ports cut out today then a change of plan, finished the LED wiring (lots of it)and resistor board (borrowed a couple of ideas from Johncal)..just got to tidy it up a bit..managed to take a couple of pics even the lantern glowing with my trusty old Sony Cybershot...amazed it still works..had to read the book again though..

Barry

05-06 Lantern mounted small.JPG
05-07 LED resister board small.JPG
05-08 Gun ports port side cut out small.JPG
delboy271155
#74 Posted : 21 June 2016 19:52:17

Hi Barry,

That looks great, well done.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

magpie1832
#75 Posted : 21 June 2016 22:57:55

Groups:

Hiya Barry.
Doing a mighty fine job. Looks terrific
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Gibbo
#76 Posted : 22 June 2016 00:51:34

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Barry
Love the LED's, they look fantastic.
Regards
Paul
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
Martyn Ingram
#77 Posted : 22 June 2016 08:06:51

Lovely work on the lamps very nicely done

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
BarryM
#78 Posted : 22 June 2016 18:46:21

Thank you gentlemen...enjoying myself here and beginning to understand the enormity of building one of these ships, I take my hat off to all of you guys who have undertaken one of these as it must be one of the most intricate and demanding of hobbies to attempt...I digress...
Here's about the sum total of my endeavors today, enough lamps for the port side, decided to do them now as fitting them at a later stage may have proved quite difficult..

Barry
05-09 Lanterns 4 small.JPG
05-10 Lanterns and brkts small.JPG
Gandale
#79 Posted : 22 June 2016 22:49:41

Looking sweet Barry, some really nice touches being added..... Well done...

Regards

Alan
BarryM
#80 Posted : 23 June 2016 20:59:06

Fitted the lanterns on the port side, fitted the first plank on the inboard side after painting and also a few licks of red on the top deck supports, also started lining the gun ports...managed four of them tonight..

Barry
05-11 Lanterns port & lining gun ports small.JPG
05-12 Lanterns port lit small.JPG