Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Another D51 paint question Options
oldsid
#1 Posted : 04 July 2016 22:18:40

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I just ordered the D51 complete kit. I have been reading the D51 discussion forum partly to decide if I really want to do this. I am just finishing up my Hummer build so need a project to work on when I finish the Hummer. I am also building the Harley Fat Boy but that is a monthly deal so will take a long time. Anyway back to the D51 with my questions:

1. What is the general consensus on whether to paint or leave it brass. Pictures I have seen here both look great.

2. Black paint obviously if I paint.... matte or flat black, or enamel like gloss or such? I have an airbrush so that is what I would use if I decide to paint.

3. Is it possible to paint before adding any shiny metal parts? I read one post in the discussion which said to paint and then remove paint from the shiny parts with Paint thinner. That does not appeal to me at all. Has to be a better way. I suppose masking is possible but that could also be a PITA.

So chime in anyone.... I will answer any and all posts addressed to me about this discussion.

Thanks, guys.

darbyvet
#2 Posted : 05 July 2016 00:55:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I painted mine, but have seen some great bare brass models.

If you are not painting you should wear gloves handling the model and a clear coat would be a good idea to prevent discoloration.Some parts are brass plated so you need to be careful if you want to sand and polish the metal.

If you are painting i would make sure you degrease the parts first.I use simple green for that.

I also used an acid etch primer to get good paint adhesion.I did leave off the parts I wanted to stay bare brass and added them after painting.

I used epoxy paint designed for spraying on car chassis.mt color was chassis black which is like a sating black and it has a bit of texture to it.It is really nasty stuff to use-you need a respirator and spray outdoors.I wouldnt use it indoors-too toxic.

I hand painted the interior of the cab and wheels and masked those areas off before spraying the rest of the train.

I think a combination of flat back and semi gloss black Tamiya paints would work very well.

Carl

oldsid
#3 Posted : 05 July 2016 05:18:55

I'll have to go thru the instruction books and see how it goes together and then decide if I want to paint. Would there be a lot of skipping ahead to get the main part of the loco built without the brass parts and would it get confusing. You said you painted before adding the brass parts. I suppose takes some planning ahead.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Sid
oldsid
#4 Posted : 05 July 2016 20:56:17

Did you paint the individual parts as you went along, minus the parts you were going to leave brass? Or did you assemble everything that was going to be black and then paint it. I am still trying to decide what I will do when the time comes. Probably less chance of screwing it up if I leave it in brass since I'm not the best painter.

How about the undercarriage, wheels etc... are they black out of the box, or do you have to paint them regardless of how you do the engine.
darbyvet
#5 Posted : 05 July 2016 21:20:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I waited until most of the train was finished and then painted .I painted the train before I attached it to the undercarriage and I hand painted the wheels.Some of the undercarriage is already painted, but the wheels I hand painted. I used citadel paints for the wheels because you can apply them with a brush and they dry without showing brush marks. I used citadels abbadon black for the wheels.

I was going to leave mine bare metal, but I got too many fingerprints on it and the brass started discoloring where I touched it. Another USA member built it and left it bare but he worse gloves whenever he handled the train and was very neat with glue etc...

Carl

arpurchase
#6 Posted : 05 July 2016 21:25:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Sid

I degreased the parts before assembly and then painted using an etch undercoat and after Railmatch Paint Weathered Black #2412 but not sure if you can get this paint in the USA. The wheels are not painted and will need to be masked, etch primed and painted with your choice of color. You could also use a latex based masking liquid like Maskol to coat parts and remove it after the parts are painted, example below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...937a:g:YBQAAOSwv-NWVFMT

Andy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

darbyvet
#7 Posted : 05 July 2016 21:43:52

Vallejo also makes a paint set to weather locomotives.I used it for mine.

You could use Vallejo model air black paint.That has a slight sheen to it and it airbrushes very nicely.

here is a link to Vallejos train weathering set of paints.

http://www.micromark.com...guNGX3c0CFddahgodpEAP4A

Carl