Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Nytetrain's Toyota 2000GT build Options
Nytetrain
#1 Posted : 14 June 2016 04:19:02

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hey guys,

Long time no see... My Falcon is on hold at the moment so I can concentrate on other things. I saw this on sale for 20% off so, I bought it. From the time I ordered it, until it arrived on the doorstep, was about a week. Pretty fast...for a US delivery. The box was a little smashed but everything inside was well packed and nothing was damaged.

MAKE SURE YOU READ THE INSTRUCTIONS COMPLETELY BEFORE YOU START THIS KIT!!!

DO NOT glue ANYTHING on the engine until told to do so. You end up putting parts on and then taking them off again several times while building the engine.

Front of engine showing alternator, water pump, crankshaft pulley and partially assembled distributor... don't bother with the v-belt as they tell you to put it on and remove it a couple times... just leave it till last to prevent damage or losing it

Carb and fuel rail side of engine...

Valve Covers and heater hose assembly...

Exhaust side of engine...

Front seats are assembled...

Parts I am not going to use right away are left in the original plastic and marked.

I lay out 10 issues at a time so I don't lose track

So far its a nice model to assemble. Some of the parts are too "shiny" for my liking and need to be toned down with some weathering to make them look more realistic. They fit together pretty good for the most part with the exception of the fuel sensor on the exhaust side which kept falling out until I glued it in place. The parts are nicely textured, such as the exhaust manifolds and the block itself, which is cast metal. There are some mold lines along the parts but I am not going to fuss with them on this build. Pretty happy with this kit so far...

Regards,

Ron
Best Regards,
Ron

On the bench: DeAgostini '67 Ford Shelby Mustang, Hachette Space Battleship Yamato 2202, Agora Models T-800 Terminator
Finished builds: DeAgostini Toyota 2000GT
In the Stash: Losing count...
michu
#2 Posted : 14 June 2016 06:00:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice start, ten at a time was my method too :)
I hope you'll share some details on the weathering you plan to do.
Cheers
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
k8 vnl
#3 Posted : 16 June 2016 09:48:24

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Your organised and i like the detail of that engine.
Built and building

All things Airfix & Revell.
stevie_o
#4 Posted : 16 June 2016 11:45:22

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

delboy271155
#5 Posted : 16 June 2016 19:48:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Nice start, hope you`re enjoying the build.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Nytetrain
#6 Posted : 14 July 2016 11:43:41

First off I said I wasn't going to bother with the mold lines in the parts. Well, the OCD in me took over and the fact that those mold lines were staring me in the face sent me into fits so, I removed them.

Used some rust wash on the exhaust manifolds to give them a patina. I like my builds to look like they have been on the roads at least a few times and not showroom new...

Used a homemade wash on the block to dirty it up a bit...

Used some 600 grit sandpaper to rough up the treads on the tires to make them look driven on... left is sanded a bit (still needs some work) Right tire is untouched.

Some shots of the engine with some weathering done...hard to see in the camera but it is there. When I finish weathering the engine and transmission I will give it a coat of flat acrylic to dull down the shininess.

Shots of the back storage area... I like that they flocked the interior...just adds to the quality of this models interior. Not sure why they added the tools... the knockoff is out of scale for the hubs. The hammer was used to hit the knockoff after it was slipped over the hub to help speed up tire changes. Apparently, this set up was left for the production models also. The spare is just a half of the tire so it fits under the carpet cover the tools anyways. The instructions tell you to put the inside of the wheel facing up but I didn't care how it looked so I flipped it over.

The wood grain detail is pretty realistic... except for that corner that peeled up. Just burnished it back down with a toothpick and it was fine.

You have to tap some of the holes in the chassis yourself. Make sure your tool is exactly parallel when you start tapping the hole. Give it a turn or two and then back it out a quarter turn to break the chip. Continue to repeat this until you feel resistance at the bottom of the hole. Back out the tap and blow out the hole with a shot of air to get he metal chips out. Then your good to go.

I am really enjoying this build so far. The quality and detail are amazing. Not too many headaches so far. I look forward to continuing this build. I will update as I get further along.

Ron
Best Regards,
Ron

On the bench: DeAgostini '67 Ford Shelby Mustang, Hachette Space Battleship Yamato 2202, Agora Models T-800 Terminator
Finished builds: DeAgostini Toyota 2000GT
In the Stash: Losing count...
davetwin
#7 Posted : 14 July 2016 12:34:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great start!

I love your weathering on the engine, not too over the top but very effective it really makes all that amazing detail pop
Nemesis
#8 Posted : 14 July 2016 12:40:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Fantastic start to your build, the subtle weathering is spot on, so easy to go too far. Well done.
arpurchase
#9 Posted : 14 July 2016 16:41:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking great and nice start
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

stevie_o
#10 Posted : 14 July 2016 18:27:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal