Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

15 Pages «<45678>»
HMS SURPRISE Build Log by Barry Options
BarryM
#101 Posted : 11 July 2016 08:09:17

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

He,he....that's why it took me so long to get around to doing it..I used a 4mm threaded rod not much room for error, felt the bit trying to deviate a couple of times but managed in the end a bit like drilling an oil well..

Barry
There's no time like the present.....
Gandale
#102 Posted : 11 July 2016 10:39:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Very nice work Barry, you have the patience of a saint.... Thanks for sharing your technique with the copper tiling, very informative....very well done indeed...

Regards

Alan
Gibbo
#103 Posted : 11 July 2016 11:45:23

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Barry, your copper tiles look great mate.
Regards
Paul
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
BarryM
#104 Posted : 11 July 2016 16:40:44

Thank's gents, everything I have learnt about model ship building is from this site, glad to be able to give something back.
I have made about a hundred strips so far that's 600 tiles think I'll need double that, my Sapele strips for the hull should be arriving this week some time...hmmm make or break time.
delboy271155
#105 Posted : 11 July 2016 19:23:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Barry,

Looks like your a very busyman at the moment, but seems your managing well looking at the recent results.

Well done for going the tiled route, they are looking very consistent with the use of the jig and a credit to your patience.

Keep it up, look forward to the next update.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

BarryM
#106 Posted : 15 July 2016 14:48:55

Thank's Derek,

Waiting for the hull planking to arrive..scheduled for Monday. Meantime been busy reading again and I think the planking thing is beginning to make a little more sense not to mention daunting. I measured all the former's and set about making a cad dwg with all the divisions on it, it's here I realized that every plank will have to be shaped, the only place they are 5mm wide is at the center of the longest former (15). This is going to keep me busy for a while, one mystery still eludes me, the "garboard"(why is it called that?) plank shape I've seen on most of the planking pictures. I haven't started yet but with the way I've done the marking mine seems to be evolving pretty much straight, will keep a close eye on it..

Barry
BarryM attached the following image(s):
07-11 Starboard planking cad dwg 1 small.JPG
07-12 Starboard planking cad dwg 2 small.JPG
07-13 Starboard planking marker strips 1 small.JPG
07-14 Starboard planking marker strips 2 small.JPG
Martyn Ingram
#107 Posted : 15 July 2016 20:29:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Barry the garboard plank is probably the most important plank you can lay as it keeps all of the other planks in line as it is the starting point. Having looked at your pictures I think you need to fair the bulkheads a bit more before laying the planks as their is a gap near the bow between the last plank and the bulkhead . Hope this helps rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
magpie1832
#108 Posted : 15 July 2016 22:53:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups:

I agree with Martyn, Just a little more fairing to get the planks to sit against a flat surface rather than an edge.
The Garboard plank is a difficult one to do. On my build I used a 10mm wide plank to make it but was a long process. It makes a massive difference to the planking when done though.
Are you going for the correct planking technique using stealers and drop planks?

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

jase
#109 Posted : 16 July 2016 07:46:07

Not sure why the plank next to the keel has that name

I stalling the garboard plank sets the run of planking for the rest of the hull, some meodelers will use a wider plank, as already stated due to the complexity of the bend and cut required.

One thing you can do is use some thick card to do a dry fit. Once happy it is correct and sits as you want you can use that as a template for your shaping

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
BarryM
#110 Posted : 16 July 2016 13:34:10

Thank you gentlemen for your much appreciated comments, I received my sapele planking yesterday P.M. all 5mm wide, 500mm long, I think I will require about 60 per side Deag supplied me with 132 of them, got to be careful again.

After reading your comments I'm going back to basics..although I'm going to copper plate the hull I still need to get a good smooth shape and lines similar to what you guys have achieved so no short cuts here which means using those stealers and such.
As I only have 5mm wide strips I'm going to try and glue 4 of them together to make up the 10mm wide x 1m long Garboard plank, I think I see where that shape comes from after I stretched a piece of thread where the plank will fit. I started 10mm up from the keel at the stern and finished at the base of former 10..see what you mean about a complex plank, probably a weeks work at my snails pace..here's a couple of pics just got to mark the formers..

Barry
07-15 Garboard plank shape 1 small.JPG
07-16 Garboard plank shape 2 small.JPG
BarryM
#111 Posted : 16 July 2016 22:14:16

Update on the Garboard plank...Fabricated a 10mm wide plank from my 5mm stock and took Jase's advise and made a cardboard cut out, I'll leave it overnight for the glue to cure, check the cut out in the light of day and then transfer it to the 10mm plank..11:10 PM here time to call it...

Barry
07-17 Garboard plank 10mm and template 1 small.JPG
07-18 Garboard plank 10mm and template 2 small.JPG
Gandale
#112 Posted : 16 July 2016 23:22:53

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great work Barry, coming along beautifully....

Regards

Alan
BarryM
#113 Posted : 17 July 2016 18:43:11

Got the Garboard-Starboard plank cut out and fitted (hope the port one is easier) just needs a little trimming at the bow, the card cut out gave a good indication and once the part was cut from the 10mm sapele only a little trimming is required..

Barry
07-19 Garboard plank starboard centre small.JPG
07-20 garboard plank starboard bow small.JPG
07-21 Garboard plank starboard stern small.JPG
arpurchase
#114 Posted : 17 July 2016 19:34:25

Looks good to me
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

BarryM
#115 Posted : 31 July 2016 17:47:53

Been busy with the Hull Planking (shudder) slow going but not as bad as I thought though...been down with some flue bug for the past week or so even slower going at the moment...here's a pic of where I'm up to..so far the only planks I've had to trim were the first 3 at the bow but I think that maybe about to change...

Barry
22 Hull Planking 1 small.JPG
23 Hull planking 2 small.JPG
Martyn Ingram
#116 Posted : 31 July 2016 17:52:21

Cracking job Barry looking very neat. Hope the man flu gets better

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
birdaj2
#117 Posted : 31 July 2016 18:23:08

Some very skilful modelling here.

Looks really good. Hope the rest of the build goes well.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
delboy271155
#118 Posted : 31 July 2016 20:12:12

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Looking very neat Barry.

Well done.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

arpurchase
#119 Posted : 31 July 2016 20:23:03

Your doing a grand job on the planking and dont worry too much if it looks rougher than a bears butt as the sanding back will transform the ugly duckling into a swan
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

johncal
#120 Posted : 31 July 2016 23:04:05

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Bending those boards back at the stern is no fun.I'm really glad for me that it's a distant memory, ha ha.

It looks really good though. Just keep on plugging away and you'll be done before you know it. You're really moving fast. It's funny how it takes a lot of figuring, but you just kind of figure it out as you go and it's not all that bad as you'd think.

Great job!!