Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

The Dam Busters: Will Jackson's remake of the iconic film ever get off the ground? Options
Tomick
#1 Posted : 04 August 2016 09:46:28

Groups:

On the 1st Sept 2006, it was announced that Peter Jackson would produce a remake of the 1955 movie, to be directed by Christian Rivers with production starting in 2008. Production has yet to begin.

Les Munro (the last surviving Dam Busters pilot) was signed up as a technical adviser to a project, which following his death in 2015, questions are being asked yet again whether Peter Jackson’s proposed remake of this iconic 1955 movie will ever get off the ground.

The Lord of the Rings director has already had 10 replica RAF Squadron 617 Lancaster bombers made in his native New Zealand and holds the movie rights.

Tom Hollander and Colin Firth have been named as candidates for the lead roles of Wing Commander Guy Gibson and Barnes Wallis.
Sir David Frost, who had bought the rights to Paul Brickhill’s book on which the film is based along with Mr Gibson’s 1946 memoirs, could not find anyone for the remake. After hearing Peter Jackson had the 1955 Michael Anderson film poster hanging in his office, he rang him and did the deal there and then.

However the project has been beset by delays ever since. Stephen Fry confirmed he was due to write the screenplay but then Peter Jackson was sidetracked with The Hobbit movies and has just completed the second Tintin movie due for release in Dec 2016, so the 75th Anniversary of the Dambusters raid (May 2018) may come and go before work even begins on a Dambuster remake.

Hopefully Peter Jackson will now focus on the Dambuster project as only two surviving Raid members remain alive - front gunner Fred Sutherland of aircraft AJ-N and bomb aimer George “Johnny” Johnson of aircraft AJ-T.

Peter Jackson did offer some hope in a 2014 interview when he said: “There is only a limited span I can abide, of people driving me nuts asking me when I’m going to do that project. So I’ll have to do it. I want to, actually, it’s one of the truly great true stories of the Second World War, a wonderful, wonderful story.”

On the 16th May 2008, a commemorative event to mark the 65th anniversary was held at Derwent Reservoir, Derbyshire, including a flypast by the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane. The event was attended by Les Munro and Richard Todd the actor who played Wing Commander Guy Gibson.

George ‘Johnny’ Johnson has had his autobiography published by Ebury Press - "The Last British Dambuster - George "Johnny" Johnson.

One of Jacksons replica Dambuster Lanc's shown below...
Tomick attached the following image(s):
2383807s-05May09.jpg
003.jpg
005.jpg
Dambustersremake.jpg
images.jpg
ModelMania
#2 Posted : 04 August 2016 17:37:16

Groups:

I'm desperate to see this film if it ever gets made, though I fear it may never happen?!

Given Peter's keenness on the 'Lord of the Rings' stories I think the Dambusters film would be more likely to happen if they rewrote history and pretended that the leader of the Dambusters was called Wg Cdr 'Bilbo Baggins' and the Möhne, Eder and Sorpe dams were located somewhere in Middle Earth?! Lol!!

Come on Peter, pull your finger out and get on with giving us a fabulous re-make of a fantastic movie!!

Kev