Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

15 Pages «<56789>»
HMS SURPRISE Build Log by Barry Options
BarryM
#121 Posted : 01 August 2016 17:18:32

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Thank's for the encouragement gents, much appreciated.....
I think I spend more time thinking than building, but then again 'sometimes I just sits'.
John, looking at your pic's I think there's a lot more 'Surprises' in store for me..I find every bend is a little traumatic, can't figure out but some planks bend easier than others and it doesn't seem to be associated with the grain or colour..or maybe it's just me being a little hasty..
The planks seem to be getting a little easier as I proceed, maybe getting used to it but probably because the radius of the bends get a little less.

Barry

There's no time like the present.....
johncal
#122 Posted : 01 August 2016 19:01:38

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

If you're spending way more time thinking than building, then you are on the right path.
magpie1832
#123 Posted : 01 August 2016 23:13:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups:

They were probably the hardest planks I had to bend. Get them nice and wet and they eventually go. I think I snapped a few just on the bend but once dry and sanded it was not visible.
Just a quicky when you start adding more planks at the bow start tapering them to no less than half the plank width. You will need to add a few stealers in but looks great when done.
Keep up your great work Barry.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

BarryM
#124 Posted : 04 August 2016 10:20:37

Been plodding along with the planking..slow process.
Chris....I tried to get my head around using stealers and ended up making long planks short, can't seem to get that right so I resorted back to plan B letting the plank take it's natural line and trimming it where it meets the adjoining plank. Hope I'm not painting myself into a corner here!!!!!

Barry
BarryM attached the following image(s):
29 Hull planking 8 small.JPG
30 Hull planking 9 small.JPG
31 Hull planking 10 small.JPG
32 Hull planking 11 small.JPG
johncal
#125 Posted : 04 August 2016 11:03:21

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Either way will work. It will depend on the look your going for. In my case I have copper plating so everything under the waterline is not visible and above is painted, so again not visible. In that case, you just want to do the right amount of sanding to be accurate looking. Keep in mind, on the real ships the planking is not that smooth. Look online and you'll see what I mean.

On the other hand, if you are keeping all the wood natural where the planks are very visible, in what I call a "furniture build" then the accuracy is more important as you can see the planks, as is a smoother finish which is all part of the expected look.

I thought you're coppering though, so you'd be fine.
BarryM
#126 Posted : 04 August 2016 11:49:45

Thank's for the advice John, yes I am going to copper the hull from the waterline down but still need a smooth finish on the planking as the self adhesive copper film is only 3 mil thick..

Barry
BarryM
#127 Posted : 07 August 2016 17:49:03

Got to one of those stages where "I sits and thinks" where to lay the next plank??
The natural lay on the keel side has been steadily moving from laying easily to the previous plank to a really complex compound curve....think I might go with the natural lay and then fill in the gap with tapered pieces..yep, gonna do that.
Been resisting the temptation to start any sanding..should be able to hang on for a while longer and make one big pile of sapele dust.

Barry
38 Hull planking 17 small.JPG
39 Hull planking 18 small.JPG
40 Hull planking 19 small.JPG
41 Hull planking 20 small.JPG
arpurchase
#128 Posted : 07 August 2016 17:52:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good and nice progress
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Martyn Ingram
#129 Posted : 07 August 2016 18:27:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Coming along a treat Barry keep up the good work

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
birdaj2
#130 Posted : 07 August 2016 19:33:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Barry

You are making a brilliant job of building this one.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
johncal
#131 Posted : 07 August 2016 19:48:44

Looks great. That should do nicely.

If you're going for the black painted hull, I would recommend looking at not only the movie version but some other Period Ships on the internet. You will find that they are a bit rough and not smooth at all. So if you're going for realism, keep it real and not too smooth!..... Above the waterline.
Gandale
#132 Posted : 07 August 2016 22:37:48

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking god Barry, you're doing a cracking job with this...

Regards

Alan
BarryM
#133 Posted : 17 August 2016 11:10:30

Thank's gentlemen...haven't had much time over the past week to spend on the Surprise but hopefully that will change, meantime here's a few pics of what I did manage...things started to get really cramped at the stern!!!!

The keel and other stuff should be arriving this week...once I finish the planking and see how the keel fits I can start some sanding, exiting times...

Barry
42 Hull planking 21 small.JPG
44 Hul lplanking 23 small.JPG
45 Hull planking 24 small.JPG
45 Hull planking 25 small.JPG
birdaj2
#134 Posted : 17 August 2016 11:20:19

Barry

Looking really good.

This really is a stunning model, such a graceful looking ship.

Hope it continues well for you and look forward to your next update.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Martyn Ingram
#135 Posted : 17 August 2016 11:41:06

Looking good Barry the hull is looking fab well done m8

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
johncal
#136 Posted : 17 August 2016 11:53:38

Looks fantastic. Keep up the good work!
Gandale
#137 Posted : 17 August 2016 21:57:41

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

You're doing a great job of this one, she's looking great....

Regards

Alan
davetwin
#138 Posted : 18 August 2016 09:49:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking really good Barry.

The planking looks very neat and tidy, great job
arpurchase
#139 Posted : 18 August 2016 14:22:59

Very nice work Barry
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Matelot one
#140 Posted : 18 August 2016 17:59:59

Looking good Barry, You'll be overtaking me soon at this rate!!
________________________________________________________________________________________

Built Mare Nostrum
Google Photo Album
Matelot (ˈmætləʊ) , Matlo or Matlow
noun
(Nautical Terms) slang chiefly Brit - a sailor