Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

15 Pages «<678910>»
HMS SURPRISE Build Log by Barry Options
BarryM
#141 Posted : 20 August 2016 16:07:26

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Thank you gent's...your support made me find more time (got the other nagging things sorted in double time), finally got the hull planking finished (not sanded yet though). The last two planks port & starboard were a tricky little blighters, the good news was that both of them were much the same size and shape, must have got something right....

Barry

BarryM attached the following image(s):
50 Hull planking complete 2 small.JPG
49 Hull planking complete 1 small.JPG
51 Hull planking complete 3 small.JPG
52 Hull planking complete 4 small.JPG
There's no time like the present.....
Matelot one
#142 Posted : 20 August 2016 16:12:21

Looking Good, I bet you'll be thinking, that it will be a shame to cover it up with copper tiles?
________________________________________________________________________________________

Built Mare Nostrum
Google Photo Album
Matelot (ˈmætləʊ) , Matlo or Matlow
noun
(Nautical Terms) slang chiefly Brit - a sailor

BarryM
#143 Posted : 20 August 2016 18:38:04

Got to admit the thought has crossed my mind a couple of times but then what would I do with with a box full of copper tiles...nah...copper tiles it is....

Barry
Gibbo
#144 Posted : 20 August 2016 18:57:53

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Lovely job on the planking Barry.
Regards
Paul
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
birdaj2
#145 Posted : 20 August 2016 19:28:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Barry

You have done a fantastic job on the hull planking.

Very well done
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
RobT
#146 Posted : 20 August 2016 20:28:11

She looks fantastic Barry.

Do you have any recommendations on where to look to learn how to do the LED lighting? I've just bought a complete Titanic model from a fellow forum member and i really fancy trying to light her.
davetwin
#147 Posted : 20 August 2016 22:23:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Really nice job Barry.

Rob, try here for LEDs for beginners http://www.instructables...m/id/LEDs-for-Beginners/
BarryM
#148 Posted : 21 August 2016 12:43:05

Thank's guys, couldn't have done it without your help...

Rob...Led lighting is very simple as long as you stick to the basic rules, there are 3 elements...
V = Supply voltage
I = Current
R = Resistance

You cannot connect an LED directly to a battery the current has to be limited to around 20ma (0.02A) otherwise you will smoke it and then back to the shop, here's a pic of the wiring and elements required....

As we know the current required (20ma) next we need to know the voltage you're going to use, I'll presume 9V DC (got to be DC i.e. from a battery) lastly what resistor? The voltage drop across the LED will be about 2V so we will need a resistor to drop 9V(supply voltage) - 2V(LED Voltage) = 7V

OHM's Law....R = V/I = 7/.02(20ma) = 350ohms (closest std resistor 390ohms)

The last thing to consider is the resister Wattage...

W = V x I.........= 7 x .02 = .14W 1/4W resisters are o/k. I used 1/2W resistors.

Here's a LED Pic...

LED Circuit.jpg
led dwg.png
BarryM
#149 Posted : 24 August 2016 17:32:52

Eventually after a couple of days of sanding mainly the Stem I managed to get the Keel parts to fit nicely, I was going to glue them in place before sanding the hull but decided it would probably be better to glue them after sanding...maybe glue the stern post in position, a bit more "Sits and Thinks" time.....

Barry
53 Keel test fit front small.JPG
54 Keel test fit rear small.JPG
Martyn Ingram
#150 Posted : 24 August 2016 17:44:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good my friend very nicely done

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
birdaj2
#151 Posted : 24 August 2016 18:20:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very well done.it looks fantastic.

Nothing wrong with sitting and thinking to make sure you have that pkan sorted n your head.

Looking forward to your next update.
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
BarryM
#152 Posted : 02 September 2016 15:54:47

Spent about 3 days sanding the hull still a little way to go yet....I glued the stern post into place to blend the planking in easier, just cover it with a bit of masking tape and it stops it from being sanded as well...just keep replacing the tape if it gets damaged.
Just a few places to touch up, used some sapele wood filler, cant see it after final sanding..about 20% left to sand on the port side then on to fitting the stem and keel pieces...should have that finished by this weekend then the copper plating after marking the waterline...I think I might give the hull below the waterline a couple of coats of acrylic metallic copper paint which will camouflage any small gaps there may be in the copper plating...

Barry
55 Hull sanding 1 small.JPG
56 Hull sanding 2 small.JPG
57 Hull sanding 3 small.JPG
arpurchase
#153 Posted : 02 September 2016 17:59:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Top job, its always nice to see how your hard work looks after sanding back and what looked average turns into something to be proud off.
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

delboy271155
#154 Posted : 02 September 2016 19:06:50

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Excellent work on the hull Barry.

All the effort is worth it in the end.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

birdaj2
#155 Posted : 02 September 2016 19:29:58

Barry

Its looking stunning.

Hope the build continues to go well.
Happy Modelling

johncal
#156 Posted : 03 September 2016 04:48:30

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BarryM wrote:
Spent about 3 days sanding the hull still a little way to go yet....I glued the stern post into place to blend the planking in easier, just cover it with a bit of masking tape and it stops it from being sanded as well...just keep replacing the tape if it gets damaged.
Just a few places to touch up, used some sapele wood filler, cant see it after final sanding..about 20% left to sand on the port side then on to fitting the stem and keel pieces...should have that finished by this weekend then the copper plating after marking the waterline...I think I might give the hull below the waterline a couple of coats of acrylic metallic copper paint which will camouflage any small gaps there may be in the copper plating...

Barry

I wouldn't bother going to all that trouble. If you get any gaps you can just throw some paint in the gap and wipe it off with solvent. That's way easier and faster. Also, if you're careful you shouldn't get any gaps. The foil works better than you think. I would however put a couple coats of sealer below the waterline to ensure that the adhesive on the copper foil sticks properly. Don't forget to sand lightly after and then wipe with a damp rag. It will stick like gangbusters.
Martyn Ingram
#157 Posted : 03 September 2016 07:57:38

Very nicely done on planking the hull Barry . Looking forward to seeing the copper plates go on. I must admit I have never done coopering on a hull as I tend to go for older ships and it certainly looks fiddley. Keep up the good work m8

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Gandale
#158 Posted : 03 September 2016 09:53:42

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Cracking job Barry, looking great...

Regards

Alan
BarryM
#159 Posted : 03 September 2016 18:01:53

Thank's gentlemen...yes amazing how the swan appears from the ugly duckling with a little sanding (or should I say a lot). Managed to get the sanding finished today and the Stem and Keel pieces fitted, just requires a little more sanding towards the stern to blend the keel in a little more.
John when you say you used sealer before coppering, was that Sanding Sealer?
Marked the waterline this evening, looking at a couple of pics of the real deal the waterline is at 13 feet from the bottom of the keel, converting that into real units relates to about 82mm on the model...looks about right. Lucky me I have a laser level which made things quite simple, once the model was leveled a mark on the Keel post both sides some 5mm plastic tape and presto...waterline, another hurdle overcome..

Barry

01 marking the waterline small.JPG
johncal
#160 Posted : 03 September 2016 19:07:19

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BarryM wrote:
Thank's gentlemen...yes amazing how the swan appears from the ugly duckling with a little sanding (or should I say a lot). Managed to get the sanding finished today and the Stem and Keel pieces fitted, just requires a little more sanding towards the stern to blend the keel in a little more.
John when you say you used sealer before coppering, was that Sanding Sealer?
Marked the waterline this evening, looking at a couple of pics of the real deal the waterline is at 13 feet from the bottom of the keel, converting that into real units relates to about 82mm on the model...looks about right. Lucky me I have a laser level which made things quite simple, once the model was leveled a mark on the Keel post both sides some 5mm plastic tape and presto...waterline, another hurdle overcome..

Barry

Any clear sealer will work. I used shellac.