Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

15 Pages «<7891011>»
HMS SURPRISE Build Log by Barry Options
BarryM
#161 Posted : 05 September 2016 14:40:21

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Shellac....."now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time" (Obi Wan) I was still in school the last time I heard it, when I looked it up found out it's made from some beetle secretion which then reminded me of the foul smelling wood glue we used which was melted in a really messy pot, that's when woodworking was only for the strong. Don't think I'm brave enough to use Shellac I'll just stick to a couple of coats of Polyurethane....

Barry
There's no time like the present.....
Martyn Ingram
#162 Posted : 05 September 2016 14:49:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice hi tech approach to getting the water line I still use a pencil and a bit of wood lol . I remember the smelly pot of glue at school l think it was made from bits of animals? Keep up the great work m8

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
magpie1832
#163 Posted : 05 September 2016 23:41:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups:

Looks well Barry. You've made a great job on the hull planking. Shame to cover it up.
Sanding sealer is a good one to use, I have used it many times.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

BarryM
#164 Posted : 08 September 2016 17:57:26

Don't think any of us would be building these ships if we didn't have non smelly glue products......Got the hull sanding finished at last and a final coat of polyurethane, this is when the wife tended to agree with Chris and said "My that looks great" and I said "No still got to put the copper tiles on" her jaw dropped in disbelief....now I'm thinking twice about this.

But then what am I to do with a container full of copper tiles so I take the plunge..this is not as easy as it looks, some pretty ugly 3 dimensional bends here, no turning back now....

This will keep me quiet for the next few days..

Barry

Martyn Ingram
#165 Posted : 08 September 2016 18:04:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Cracking job on the copper tiles Barry

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
delboy271155
#166 Posted : 08 September 2016 18:36:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Tiles look great.

You`re gonna need sun glasses soon with that glare though. LOL

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Gibbo
#167 Posted : 08 September 2016 22:02:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Lovely job on that hull Barry, looking forward to seeing the tiling complete.
Regards
Paul
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
Gandale
#168 Posted : 08 September 2016 22:14:08

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Shame to cover such a beautiful hull but must admit the tiling is looking fab too.... very nice work Barry.....

Regards

Alan
magpie1832
#169 Posted : 08 September 2016 22:33:03

Groups:

Excellent Job on the copper tiles. its going to look amazing when finished.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

johncal
#170 Posted : 09 September 2016 02:43:07

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks really great Barry! Keep up the good work....
Matelot one
#171 Posted : 10 September 2016 21:13:44

Very nice, and a lot quicker than when I did it!
________________________________________________________________________________________

Built Mare Nostrum
Google Photo Album
Matelot (ˈmætləʊ) , Matlo or Matlow
noun
(Nautical Terms) slang chiefly Brit - a sailor

davetwin
#172 Posted : 11 September 2016 07:18:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

As others have said I will be a shame to cover all that lovely work you've done with the hull planking but I'm sure the end result will be just as stunning.
BarryM
#173 Posted : 11 September 2016 21:20:41

Thank you gentlemen for all your comments, only about 4 rows of tiles left to do on the starboard side I'm leaving the keel and stem post until I've finished the port side. The copper strip goes on really easy just at the stern at about row 9 need to cut single tiles to get the curvature right. Cutting the tiles at the waterline was another challenge but easily overcome, I had used 3mm tape to mark the waterline so all I did was apply a piece of tape over the top on the tiles which gave me the cut line....here's a couple of pics..may need your sunglasses.

Here's the tape in place..

Remove the tape after cutting..

I'll give the whole thing a wipe with some rubbing alcohol when finished to remove fingerprints and stuff then wait for some copper oxide to take the shine off, anyone know how long this reaction takes ????

Barry

BarryM attached the following image(s):
06 trim at the waterline 1 small.JPG
07 trim at the waterline 2 small.JPG
08 trim at the waterline 3 small.JPG
delboy271155
#174 Posted : 11 September 2016 21:48:44

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Great job Barry

Some very useful tips included, well done.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Gandale
#175 Posted : 11 September 2016 22:08:27

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Beautifully done Barry, she's coming along a treat.....

Regards

Alan
Martyn Ingram
#176 Posted : 11 September 2016 22:10:07

Coming along very nicely the copper tiles look bril and the tape tip is one I will use

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
magpie1832
#177 Posted : 11 September 2016 22:18:00

Groups:

Nice work Barry, looking great.
Chris
On the bench

davetwin
#178 Posted : 12 September 2016 16:25:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good Barry!

I can't help the copper oxide question but I'm sure someone will be by soon enough to answer that
pemberg
#179 Posted : 12 September 2016 18:40:20

Great job on the tiling. The copper tiles on my victory started to oxidise after a few weeks although it will depend on temperature and humidity.
Graeme
BarryM
#180 Posted : 14 September 2016 20:10:05

Thank's again gents, been a little under the weather with a chest infection for the past few days Crying but managed to get the starboard side plating finished and put on a thin stripe of black paint at the waterline BigGrin

Barry
BarryM attached the following image(s):
09 Starboard plating complete 1 small.JPG
10 Starboard plating complete 2 small.JPG