Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

15 Pages «<89101112>»
HMS SURPRISE Build Log by Barry Options
magpie1832
#181 Posted : 14 September 2016 20:34:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups:

Looks great Barry, Sorry to hear you've been ill. Hope you get well soon.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Martyn Ingram
#182 Posted : 14 September 2016 20:40:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Get well soon Barry the starboard side looks bril Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
davetwin
#183 Posted : 14 September 2016 20:49:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very nicely done Barry Cool
Gandale
#184 Posted : 14 September 2016 22:43:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

A lovely piece of work Barry, nicely done.... Hope you feel back to your best very soon...

Regards

Alan
BarryM
#185 Posted : 21 September 2016 11:42:50

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Despite the (cough cough splutter splutter) Cursing I still managed to get the copper plating finished on both sides of the hull, only the keel and stem left now. BigGrin

But then I digressed, although the cut line for the copper at the waterline looked o/k I thought something else was needed to clean it up some more, after looking through loads of pics I found the answer on the HMS Surprise in San Diego..

There's a round lip fitted at the waterline where the copper ends, after scratching through my toy box I found a couple of meters of RG6U coax cable and after carefully stripping it ended up with the 1mm dia copper wire...perfect.BigGrin
Started by drilling a 1mm hole in the stem, a dab of thick viscosity CA in the hole then using a tooth pick about 50mm along the waterline, push the wire into the hole and bend the wire laying it next to the copper tiles hold it in position with a bit of masking tape for about 10min, then continue like that 50mm at a time........Cool

End result a very pleasing transition between the copper plate and the wooden hull..BigGrin

Another plus is that my next shipment 11 & 12 arrived and I haven't even finished with 9 & 10 yet, nice to have that buffer.

Barry

BarryM attached the following image(s):
11 Port & Starboard plating complete small.JPG
15 HMS_Surprise_(replica_ship)_bow_2 small.JPG
12 Bow showing copper wire detail small.JPG
14 Copper wire fitted to two thirds port side small.JPG
There's no time like the present.....
johncal
#186 Posted : 21 September 2016 11:52:42

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That's an interesting and creative solution. Looks great!
delboy271155
#187 Posted : 21 September 2016 16:11:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Great tiling Barry, very neat. Love

Also a brill idea for edging the tiles, WTG. Cool Cool
It would make a good addition to the model making Know-how section if you could put something together.BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Martyn Ingram
#188 Posted : 21 September 2016 17:30:55

BigGrin brilliant idea and a very neat if I build a ship with a copper hull I will definitely be pinching that idea Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Gandale
#189 Posted : 21 September 2016 22:52:57

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Now that's innovative, excellent idea and well executed.... One for the memory banks I think..... Very well done and thanks for sharing....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
BarryM
#190 Posted : 22 September 2016 13:50:44

Thank you gentlemen...love those Eureka moments especially when the plan comes together...BigGrin Should have the final bits of copper plating in place by tomorrow, it will be nice to see her the right way up again then onto the stern cabin.

Barry
BarryM
#191 Posted : 23 September 2016 10:41:18

Managed to get the copper plating finished today BigGrin , here's a couple of pics...on to the next part..

Barry
16 Bow copper plate complete small.JPG
17 Side copper plate complete small.JPG
18 Stern copper plate complete small.JPG
19 Side copper plate complete small.JPG
johncal
#192 Posted : 23 September 2016 11:55:24

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That looks just the way it should - perfect. Keep it up with the high quality standards.
BarryM
#193 Posted : 23 September 2016 21:23:48

Thank's John, had a couple of minor incidents but all in all not to difficult...definitely do it again if the chance arises, showed my wife your pic with the tweezers posing in it to which she commented "If yours ends up anything close to that I'll buy your next model"

Started with the stern cabin...hacked away some of the planking, doesn't look pretty but I think it will work. Had a small problem whilst bending the back of the cabin as I dropped it in some water to enable me to bend it (as suggested in the instructions) luckily I didn't leave it too long but even so the ply had started de-laminating. Not sure what to do with the side sections...maybe a short dip then slight bend and repeat until I get the shape...

Barry
johncal
#194 Posted : 23 September 2016 21:51:36

Don't soak it at all. Just dip the parts and then using a flat iron, just iron it while slightly lifting up on one end. That will bend it just fine. If the iron is hot enough the water just instantly turns to steam and steam the wood into shape. That's what I did.

If the back piece is screwed up, get another one sent to you. Better to pay to replace the part rather than proceed with anything less than perfect to start with. You've already got a lot invested in it.

Also, I used a small pointed file on the back piece with a straight edge and scored board lines into mine. It makes it look more like the real deal. Just a thought.

If the delamination is minor, just put glue on there and clamp it between 2 boards with waxed paper to keep it from sticking.It will flatten right out.
BarryM
#195 Posted : 24 September 2016 14:12:50

Thank's John...that bending tip worked a treat, got both sides shaped easily without a hitch....The delamination on the rear wall was mostly around the windows and then one corner, managed to salvage it o/k.

Barry
BarryM
#196 Posted : 25 September 2016 17:46:53

Spent the weekend on the next step the stern cabin, this should be a little easier than the other stuff thought I Blink no such thing as 'a little easier' with model shipbuilding Blink
After much deliberation I plucked up the courage to start cutting away at the stern planking....here's a bunch of pic's..BigGrin

No matter where I looked couldn't figure out where to cut the planking, in the end came up with the idea use the side bits as a guide.

Maybe not....after fitting the stern and side bits I needed to add a couple of bits back on to the planking..not too much of a train smash..
[img]http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee374/BarryR
Decided not to use the filler parts supplied and just cut out a piece of ply to close off the bottom..

Here's the end results...

Barry
01 Cut Planking small.JPG
02 Cut curved former small.JPG
03 Fit Floor small.JPG
04 Mark cut outs 1 small.JPG
08 Rear & sides fitted small.JPG
11 Side bottom small.JPG
12 Side bottom fitted small.JPG
13 Side small.JPG
15 Side rear small.JPG
Martyn Ingram
#197 Posted : 25 September 2016 17:50:32

ThumpUp very nicely done Barry looking good Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
antswain
#198 Posted : 26 September 2016 00:41:53

your Surprise is coming on a treat - well done

regards Ant
Current builds :

AL's HMS Surprise
Model Shipyards HM Cutter Mermaid
Mo
#199 Posted : 04 October 2016 21:06:35

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

great looking build, very tidy, hope to be back at mine this Winter.
Mo
n
Mo
Martyn Ingram
#200 Posted : 04 October 2016 21:54:19

BigGrin Hi Mo nice to see you back looking forward to seeing your update Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?