Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Frame 12 angle issue Options
greyhawk
#1 Posted : 24 September 2016 00:45:37

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Installing the transom support and poop deck on frame 12 right now, I think I'm getting what jase is aiming at.

The upper inner edge of frame 12 needs to be sanded down a little bit to remove the angle introduced due to it's position. Otherwise the poop deck will balance haphazardly on top of the frame 11 deck beam and frame 12 inner top edge. It will also completely miss the transom support. Worse, it will pull up the transom to too high a level.

By sanding off the angle the parts will have much more fit and support.

When one stands before the unsanded top edge it kinda feels like "Oh shoot, I installed this the wrong way around".

Disclaimer: Proportions in my 2 minute drawing are way off.
greyhawk
#2 Posted : 24 September 2016 13:18:51

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welp, there's always variations with wood I guess then. For me personally if I had not amended the top as above, the poop deck would be floating in mid air. The German official build also had to do similar adjustments, though less extensive.
Tomick
#3 Posted : 25 September 2016 08:11:16

Groups:

In the first photo below (German build), as marked by the red arrows, you can clearly see that top of Frame 12 and the aft deck supports have not been sanded and the top of Frame 12 not angled, and no where in the German build does it show the top of Frame 12 having been angled nor does it even mention such!

In the seccond photo (German build) which shows the deck glued in place, if you enlarge the image you can clearly see an angled gap between the top of Frame 12 and the underside of the deck as indicated by the red arrow, which indicated that the top of Frame 12 has been left as supplied (square cut).

I can see that in Stage 20 the german builder has filed the end of the deck so that it meets flush with the transom, but this has nothing to do with how the deck sits upon Frame 12 as indicated by your drawing at post #93

Perhaps new glasses might be an idea Laugh LOL
Tomick attached the following image(s):
26689533qe.jpg
26689536xk.jpg
RobT
#4 Posted : 25 September 2016 22:11:59

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I just wanted to put this here so as to not derail Jase's build diary any more, but Greyhawk states that he can see the necessary amendments to the top of frame 12 in stage 19 of the instructions, but if you look at this enlarged photo of stage 19, you can clearly see the angle in the picture.

Its up to everyone how they do it, but I just think it could be dangerous veering away from the instructions so much, when the angle is quite clearly shown.

jase
#5 Posted : 26 September 2016 21:23:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Greyhawk,

your basic assumption is not correct. i did not sand mine there is a gap but the banks cover it comfortably. not sanding the tops does not cause the false deck to be misaligned, in fact i would suggest if you sanded parts as you suggest the false deck would sit to low and not have the required support.

good to have the discussion though so novices are clear thanks for the topic

jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain