Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Metal Parts Options
Ninja-Bear
#1 Posted : 05 December 2010 13:27:28

Groups: Registered

Hi all, I'm new to modelling on this scale so forgive me if I post a lot of questions !
Regarding metal parts, I am assuming that rubbing the parts down with 800 grit sandpaper is to provide a key for the paint, is this the case, and if so how critical is it ? Also using a craft knife to rub the window and ladder recesses etc,where sandpaper can't reach, does the same job ?
When the two halves of a metal assembly are glued together I see that any gaps are filled in, with what is described in the PDF files as quick drying glue, yet no mention of that glue is listed in the parts needed. I had thought is the putty, that they say to get in issue one, the "filler" that you use, as I can see no direct reference to "putty" in the issue one pdf.

Thanks in advance for your help BigGrin
Tomick
#2 Posted : 05 December 2010 14:01:12

Groups:

Metal parts need to be keyed for the application of primer/paint etc to avoid paint chip/flake.

Glue and filler are always extra's for any kind of kit building as are primer/paint etc.

Ninja-Bear
#3 Posted : 06 December 2010 12:02:06

Groups: Registered

Confused Thanks Tomick, what I meant though is that I have putty, metal gel glue, and wood glue,is it the putty that is used to fill in any gaps in joined metal assemblys ? Also is the "quick drying glue" an item needed in addition to the items mentioned in the PDF file ? And if so can you give me an example of the sort of glue needed please.
Confused
Tomick
#4 Posted : 06 December 2010 13:13:34

Groups:

Correct, model filler is used to gap/joint fill.

A two part expoxy glue such as 'Araldite' can be used for the metal castings,and choose a fast set time depending on preference.