Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Ww1 dio help Options
kpnuts
#1 Posted : 26 October 2016 20:22:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi all as it was my birthday today my son bought me these.

He's head of history and casually dropped into the conversation that he was hoping they would be used in a commissioned dio for his school. The dimensions would be 4'×3' approx so will need more models, thing is he knows as much about modelling as I do about armour so I need a lot of help I have a 1/72 tiger moth could I use that in the same period, I'm pretty sure (without checking the stash not sure I have a glouster gladiator biplane in the stash also) not been an armour man the only tanks I have are a cheifton that's 1/35 and I'm pretty sure ww2 although I could use my forced perspective I used in the warspite gets a few scars dio) what other tanks and assorted vehicles would be used in a dio of this size, I have no idea at all, I will need to research the trenches and stuff, also can you tell from the markings on the tank where it was used, I think my son is thinking German trenches is the tank the tight markings for that and is the plane right also (blimey I can see this getting complicated)
Ken's the name modeling's the game.
birdaj2
#2 Posted : 26 October 2016 20:42:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Ken

Tiger moth is 1930's so a bit late for this period. Similar with the gladiator.

As to vehicle you have a good british tank in your gifts and nothing stopping you doing one in german markings because they often used captured kit.

Have a look here as there is some good 1:72 from the likes of emhar with a german tank and british artillery setup

https://www.wonderlandmo...ld-war-1-models/?page=2

Scan down the page as its a mixed scale selection but there is 1:72 in there.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Plymouth57
#3 Posted : 26 October 2016 22:56:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Ken!

The biggest problem you've got is that the figures and the tank don't fit well together. Airfix (to their great shame) never produced later war figures with steel helmets. Both the British and the Germans are 'start of the war' era with cloth caps for our boys and leather helmets for the Hun. The tank is a Mk1 but by the time they first appeared both sides were equipped with steel helmets.
The Eindekker and the Triplane would be fine, the Eindekker was also an early aircraft but did soldier on to the very end.
Personally I would either do a diorama of the first battles of the war before the trenches appeared, maybe the defence of the canal bridges before the retreat westwards (no tank though and the Triplane would be out of place too) or else replace the figures with much better ones from HaT (check out the Plastic Soldier Review website for full info on all the different sets)

Best of luck!

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
birdaj2
#4 Posted : 27 October 2016 07:11:59

ken

Forgot to add this one last night for you

http://www.amera.co.uk/product.php?range=s

They make vac formed bases and the like and produce some trench sections that might be of interest too to.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach