Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Another HM victory build diary Options
davidtmartin
#1 Posted : 26 October 2016 15:12:58

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi everyone, Names Dave, This is my first build of a wooden ship, of any description.
looking at all the great work on this site, I have a lot to learn.
I'm going to attempt to undertake the cutaway build, therefore my first question is should I physically plank the floor rather than just draw planks, how much additional detailing, would be required without going over the top,
and also the reference material.

davidtmartin attached the following image(s):
pic 1.jpg
Tomick
#2 Posted : 26 October 2016 15:16:31

Groups:

Welcome to ModelSpace and hope you enjoy your build Cool
Spal
#3 Posted : 26 October 2016 15:36:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome aboard Dave, she's a great ship i'm sure you will enjoy building her.

Al
Nemesis
#4 Posted : 26 October 2016 15:52:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the forum Dave.BigGrin I am sure I saw in one of the many members build diaries someone had planked the cutaway floor, if you have a look through them I am sure you will find the info you need and more!BigGrin
Gandale
#5 Posted : 26 October 2016 20:22:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Welcome to the forum Dave, you have chosen one of the best kits on the market to build so will wish you the best of luck with it... Cool Cool .. As you have mentioned you intend doing the cut out version then there really is no need to plank the lower decks. If you look at the Official build (link below) you will see why.

http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=posts&t=4345

You'll find by following the Official build diary it will be very helpful to you....

Can I also ask you to reduce the size of your images to 600x450 pixels, that size will mean they will fit on the screen... Cool Cool

Hope this helps..

Regards

Alan

stevie_o
#6 Posted : 26 October 2016 20:51:04

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to Modelspace Dave, there can never be too many Vic builds as they always end up so differentBigGrin

You are in safe hands here as there is a wealth of experience, diaries and pics to use. Good luck with the build and look forward to more.

Steve
Garth
#7 Posted : 27 October 2016 06:06:06

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum. Glad to see another Vic build.

Regarding the section, the level of detail is up to you. I would also suggest going through the various build diaries and find something that you like and take it from there.

Looking forward to following your build.

Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
pemberg
#8 Posted : 27 October 2016 08:43:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum. As has been said before this is a great kit and if you follow the instructions and official builds you should have little trouble producing a fantastic model.
Graeme
ian smith
#9 Posted : 27 October 2016 12:03:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Dave.
welcome to the forum. look forward to seeing your progress.
Ian. Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
davetwin
#10 Posted : 27 October 2016 16:27:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the forum Dave.

It looks like you've gotten off to a great start. The great thing about these kits are the instructions, they're written in such a way that someone like yourself that has no experience with these types of builds will be able to turn out a stunning show piece.

Best of luck Cool
leedsfromsouth
#11 Posted : 27 October 2016 18:28:40

Welcome Dave this is the place for all the tips and know how you will need..
delboy271155
#12 Posted : 27 October 2016 19:16:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Welcome to the forum.BigGrin

Enjoy your build, I look forward to seeing your updates.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

davidtmartin
#13 Posted : 28 October 2016 11:43:39

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Many thanks for the warm welcome, however I have my first issue, after reading some posts about warping, I decided to check my frame, as you can see in the photo I have a slight curve, do I need to de nail the first deck
and like other people have done use boiling hot water to soften the glue, all advice is very much welcome
thanks.
davidtmartin attached the following image(s):
IMG_1290.JPG
Gandale
#14 Posted : 29 October 2016 10:22:03

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi David, this is what we would term as a banana boat and is normally a result of not having the keel set in a build jig before setting the ribs and decks in place. Links to build jigs you may find helpful...

http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&t=20425

Having a straight keel is probably the most important part in building these kits, it is from the keel where everything else hangs and all measurements originate from. Looking at what you have here then I'd be looking at stripping back, set the keel into a jig ensuring its straight and true, then pin the decks in place. On any build I do I leave the keel in my build jig for as long as possible, at least until I have some planking rows in place....Cool Cool

Can you also please ensure you pics are no larger the 600450 pixels, saves us having to scroll up/down/left & right simply to look at a photo...

Hope this helps..

Regards

Alan