Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

12 Pages «<34567>»
Gils HMS Victory - Cross Section Build Options
stevie_o
#81 Posted : 10 November 2016 21:16:09

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

ian smith
#82 Posted : 11 November 2016 16:56:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Gil.
Really nice clean looking build. look forward to seeing more of this one.
Ian Cool Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
GilShapley
#83 Posted : 15 November 2016 11:31:20

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Issue 133

Orlop Deck Finished and stained dark oak

I have decided to paint the bulwarks white as I seem to remember from my last visit to the Victory that this was the colour scheme. It makes sense because it must have been a dark place and any reflected light would be welcombe.

Holes cut in the deck, no major issues here but pay careful attention to step 2 and make sure you glue these planks along their edges.

The bulwarks will require another coat of white but this will be added once the rider tops and knees are in place.

Issue 134

Orlop pump well, Only thing I can say here is make sure you have the parts correctly orientated, it is easy to get them the wrong way round.

With the riders and knees I decided to replace those provided with ones I have make from some pine strips using the ply ones as templates. Went to the hobby shop for some 4mm wood and nearly died at the price of a small piece, so off to the DIY store and purchased a 3 metre length of 4mm X 12mm which will do the job nicely and plenty left over for other projects. I find this pine nice and easy to work. Will add a coat of white paint to these parts before gluing in place and then add a final coat to the bulwarks

Nice fiddly job coming up, Making the seaman's chests, looks like fun

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

GilShapley attached the following image(s):
No27.jpg
No28.jpg
No29.jpg
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
GilShapley
#84 Posted : 19 November 2016 14:18:52

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Have now fitted the rider tops and knees and installed the orlop pump well

Final coat of white paint added where required.

As to what paint to use. I tried Admiralty Dull white but found this far to thin, it bled under the masking take tape and I had to rub down the deck and restain. In the end I bought a tester pot of white interior wall and ceiling paint £1.99 for 75 ml (admiralty paint is approx £2.00 for 18ml) I found this emulsion much thicker and no problem with bleeding, its dries nice and quick as well

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
No30.jpg
No31.jpg
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
Martyn Ingram
#85 Posted : 19 November 2016 16:50:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin very nicely done Gil and a good tip on the paint looks good Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Spal
#86 Posted : 19 November 2016 20:17:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Lovely job Gil BigGrin

Al
Nemesis
#87 Posted : 19 November 2016 20:24:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very neat and tidy, looks superb!
Gandale
#88 Posted : 19 November 2016 22:06:30

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking great Gil... I found the same with Admiralty Dull White but persevered with it.... Blink Blink .. Great tip using a tester pot....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#89 Posted : 19 November 2016 22:07:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Very impressive work as usual.

Well done. Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

magpie1832
#90 Posted : 20 November 2016 01:15:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups:

Excellent work Gil. Look forward to seeing more.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

tf64
#91 Posted : 20 November 2016 10:43:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very nice work Gill, I can see you are enjoying this build.

Regards

Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

ian smith
#92 Posted : 21 November 2016 14:00:31

Very nice work Gill looking the business.
Ian Cool Cool BigGrin
GilShapley
#93 Posted : 21 November 2016 20:23:54

The build has reached the stage where some of the "furniture" needs to be constructed, in this case the seaman's chests. This is one of those cut a bit, glue a bit, and wait jobs. I sometimes wonder if I spend more time waiting for the glue or paint to dry then actually modelling. I can understand why some of you have more than one build on the go (Mmmm thinks, can I convince SWMBO Naa)

I have made 7 so far and may make some more later but for now back to the main build.

No32.jpg
darbyvet
#94 Posted : 21 November 2016 20:29:17

Magnificent chests Gil. that sounds a bit rude!!

Carl

Nemesis
#95 Posted : 21 November 2016 20:30:11

Nice work on the chests, they look fantastic!BigGrin
Martyn Ingram
#96 Posted : 21 November 2016 20:40:27

Drool lovely work Gil the chests look brilliant Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
z8000783
#97 Posted : 21 November 2016 20:41:50

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Beautiful work Gil.
Garth
#98 Posted : 22 November 2016 05:47:18

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Gil,
Great job on the chests.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
Hans
#99 Posted : 29 November 2016 09:40:55

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Beautiful work there Gil. Those chest look great.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
ian smith
#100 Posted : 29 November 2016 15:25:05

Hi Gil. the cases look fantastic well done.
Iam Cool BigGrin