Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
HMS Victory in peril Options
bripfc
#1 Posted : 11 January 2011 11:22:10

Groups: Registered

i saw this in the local paper yesterday

Britain's most iconic warship is rotting away and needs a multi-million-pound repair to save her.
Nelson's flagship, HMS Victory, is leaking and is being gradually pulled apart at the seams by her own weight, according to maintenance documents and a structural survey undertaken by the Ministry of Defence.

i have included a link for the paper(portsmouth News)

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/new...tory-in-peril.6685026.jp
Brian

Current Builds
HMS Victory
HMB Endeavour
HMS Hood
PLAY UP POMPEY!!!no wise cracks
piot007
#2 Posted : 11 January 2011 11:27:22

yeah i read about this a while ago. sad, very sad. Serious money needs spending on her. They have to rely on handouts from lottery i think.
i dont know what weapons will be used in ww3 but ww4 will be sticks and stones.
bripfc
#3 Posted : 11 January 2011 11:35:45

you say that? but i thought it was still a commissioned ship so it should be down to navy by wrights,but i supose with the defence cuts,thats not going to happen. so will this be the next bit of history we sell off to some forien buyer???Crying Crying
Brian

Current Builds
HMS Victory
HMB Endeavour
HMS Hood
Mike Turpin
#4 Posted : 11 January 2011 12:55:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

It is a really serious situation, unfortunately in this PC-correct world that we live in, many people don't see where the priorities should be. If we loose Victory she can never be replaced at a later date. I regularly get angry at the way in which our archaeological and historical sites are given over to the 'developers'.

We should be proud of Great Britain and all that it represents. When one looks at the money spent on other projects (dare I mention the 2012 London sporting event??), the money needed to save Victory seems little in comparison. We need to keep her in the long term and she will be a credit to this country long after the Olympics has become just a set of statistics to generate questions on TV quiz shows.

The real question is how does one make the public aware of this and shake the conscience of a nation?

Mike T
haggisKiller
#5 Posted : 11 January 2011 13:18:06

Groups:

It seems almost criminal that the Victory is slowly being destroyed with no outside help to stop it.

But it's funny how another famous sailing ship, the Cutty Sark, was not only being restored, but when it was badly damaged by fire, everyone called for it to be saved.

The Victory is an important part of, not only English Naval history, but British naval history, and as such should be preserved so that future generations can marvel at the workmanship of an iconic ship.

To do anything less would be a disgrace.

Look around the world and you see many other countries almost moving heaven and earth to preserve their history.

Why cant we?
alantait
#6 Posted : 11 January 2011 14:31:56

i quite agree, once she starts to go there will be no recovery,its time we looked at priorities, stop handing out aid to other countries in easy handouts, lets think about our own heritage, and attract people to our country, i am all for ensuring that people get help when disasters strike, but some of the money we hand out? what do other countries do, sit back and say the Uk will come to help, leave it to them their the experts. we lose so much because we do not invest in all our architectural, archalogical and cultural heritage. it would be a disaster to lose her, maybe our fat cat bankers will donate their bonus payouts (it would only take 2 or 3 to rebuild her) 9 or 10 million ha ha
current builds

victory,endeavour,thermoplye,constitution
Trotsky
#7 Posted : 11 January 2011 15:56:06

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

http://www.snr.org.uk/index.htm
H.M.S Victory
H.M.S Victory X Section
H.M.S Surprise under the bench
D-51
jase
#8 Posted : 11 January 2011 21:59:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Mike Turpin wrote:
It is a really serious situation, unfortunately in this PC-correct world that we live in, many people don't see where the priorities should be. If we loose Victory she can never be replaced at a later date. I regularly get angry at the way in which our archaeological and historical sites are given over to the 'developers'.

We should be proud of Great Britain and all that it represents. When one looks at the money spent on other projects (dare I mention the 2012 London sporting event??), the money needed to save Victory seems little in comparison. We need to keep her in the long term and she will be a credit to this country long after the Olympics has become just a set of statistics to generate questions on TV quiz shows.

The real question is how does one make the public aware of this and shake the conscience of a nation?

Mike T

Well if we feel that strongly, and i agree with the sentiment, and in economic terms Victory is a major tourist attraction, why don't we do something about it? It is easy enough to start a petition on face book then you can post the petition on the 10 downing street website the office of the prime minister is obliged to read your concerns and reply with what action they will take, bet you could even get the Portsmouth newspaper on board... just a thoughtMellow
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
thomasmoult
#9 Posted : 11 January 2011 22:31:54

jase wrote:
Mike Turpin wrote:

Mike T

Well if we feel that strongly, and i agree with the sentiment, and in economic terms Victory is a major tourist attraction, why don't we do something about it? It is easy enough to start a petition on face book then you can post the petition on the 10 downing street website the office of the prime minister is obliged to read your concerns and reply with what action they will take, bet you could even get the Portsmouth newspaper on board... just a thoughtMellow

I was actually thinking of something like this earlier. I think it is definitely something worth considering?

Tom
petpole
#10 Posted : 12 January 2011 00:27:03

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Dont know about you all comrad ship builders but how many of us are there on this forum and how many of use on facebook if we can all get together and set up a site to lodge a campain surley sooner rather than latter is the most prudent way to go, is there a way we can make a small campain group to set things up from the sites members and lead a reconised pertition and posible fund raising if the government will not help.
Builds in progress: HMS Victory.HMS Surprise.
Completed builds: Revell London Bus 1/24.
Builds to do:Sovereign of the seas, Hms Albion.
jase
#11 Posted : 12 January 2011 15:31:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

petpole wrote:
Dont know about you all comrad ship builders but how many of us are there on this forum and how many of use on facebook if we can all get together and set up a site to lodge a campain surley sooner rather than latter is the most prudent way to go, is there a way we can make a small campain group to set things up from the sites members and lead a reconised pertition and posible fund raising if the government will not help.

Interesting idea about fund raising. Ok I am up for that not sure how we go about it I guess we start with finding out who wants to get involved and who knows somthing about setting it up on facebook
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
jonny7england
#12 Posted : 12 January 2011 18:43:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I'm all for the campaign, count me in...ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
haggisKiller
#13 Posted : 12 January 2011 21:12:53

Groups:

Me too............hate facebook, but will do it to help the Victory
bripfc
#14 Posted : 13 January 2011 09:53:28

count me in BigGrin BigGrin
Brian

Current Builds
HMS Victory
HMB Endeavour
HMS Hood
bripfc
#15 Posted : 13 January 2011 10:09:22

just found this in yesterday's day paper?

Prime Minister urged to help protect HMS Victory

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/new...urged-to-help.6687366.jp
Brian

Current Builds
HMS Victory
HMB Endeavour
HMS Hood
Tomick
#16 Posted : 13 January 2011 11:20:44

Groups:

Lonestar Spirit
#17 Posted : 13 January 2011 11:34:32

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi guys!

I created this today, but need some admins to help promote and run it, if anyone is interested, please pm me.

HMS Victory Preservation and protection campaign
Ship Builds on the go

Yamato - DeAgostini Subscription - Highly Recommend This Model
AKAGI - DeAgostini Subscription - Highly Recommend This Model
RMS Titanic Lifeboat (Kind Gift from DeAgostini Crew)
bripfc
#18 Posted : 14 January 2011 12:09:34

Hi Lonestar check the page out looks good so have you been able to work out how to put a campain on yet.
Brian

Current Builds
HMS Victory
HMB Endeavour
HMS Hood
Lonestar Spirit
#19 Posted : 14 January 2011 12:26:20

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Not really, that's why I need help lol I mean if were all seriouse about protecting HMS Victory, surely we can all chip in so to speak, not money but the campaign.
Ship Builds on the go

Yamato - DeAgostini Subscription - Highly Recommend This Model
AKAGI - DeAgostini Subscription - Highly Recommend This Model
RMS Titanic Lifeboat (Kind Gift from DeAgostini Crew)
jase
#20 Posted : 15 January 2011 00:57:23

[quote=Lonestar Spirit]Not really, that's why I need help lol I mean if were all seriouse about protecting HMS Victory, surely we can all chip in so to speak, not money but the campaign.[/qu

Lonestar you are a lion amongst men this is a good thing you do. I have posted a plea to everybody urging them to write to their MP to raise the issue at PMQs. this is step one everybody with a face book account should add it to their wall next step is to email everybody you know and ask them to support the page by adding a comment of support once we have a few hundred we then call for the organisation of a rally, a march on downing street to present our petition having invited the press along
-Mark Twain