Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Millennium Falcon Customised Build page 2 Options
Tomick
#1 Posted : 13 November 2016 13:05:56

Groups:

Continued BigGrin....
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 13 November 2016 18:38:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Now onto the seating area. This needed to be cut down to the correct size to give it a more accurate feel to this area.
Pictures 1 & 2. The first picture shows the seating area in its instructed position. I then moved it around and marked off where I was to cut. By moving it around this way, you will not have to cut any of the back-seating pieces.

Pictures 3 & 4. Here I cut the lower seats and the second picture shows their new positions. Note, you will have to cut and sand off the notches on the bottom as these will now not fit, however, leave the notch on the small piece and place it into the respective hole on the flooring.

Picture 5. Here it is again with the back seating glued in place.

Pictures 6 & 7. I also filled in any holes with poly cement, caused by cutting the two pieces.

I then cut some fine/thin plastic card, that will go on the end of the stool area. Reversing the card before gluing to the seat, I drew some lights with a sharp scribe to give it an embossed look once I turned it back over to its correct position.
Once glued into place, sand down to make the edges smooth.

Picture 8. Both seats were then primed before painting and placed in their correct potions as a test.

Pictures 9 & 10. Here is the finished seating, painted and weathered.
Markwarren attached the following image(s):
Photo 91.jpg
Photo 92.jpg
Photo 93.jpg
Photo 94.jpg
Photo 95.jpg
Photo 96.jpg
Photo 97.jpg
Photo 98.jpg
Photo 99.jpg
Photo 100.jpg
Markwarren
#3 Posted : 17 November 2016 00:32:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Now to the hold area computers. In this section I will be improving the supplied console and scratch building the stand-alone console, I have seen in various pictures located near the rear wall/corridor leading to the ramp.
Picture 1. First, the supplied console. Some improvement is needed, and I will be adding fiber optic cables with red, white and yellow lighting, some of which will flash.
Here is the supplied console with various parts glued in place.

Picture 2. I then add some extra parts make from plastic card and shrink tubing.

Picture 3. Once these have been glued in place, I use a 0.5mm drill piece and carefully drill 65 holes where the fibers will go. I then primed ready for painting.

Picture 4. A hole was drilled in the screen ready for one of my UV LED bulb.

Pictures 5,6 & 7. Before placing the fiber optic cables, I hand painted the front on the main computer. Here it is finished. I also tested the LED, although it looks a little purple in the picture.

Pictures 8 & 9. The next couple of pictures show most of the fiber optic cables in position. Note: I mushroomed the ends of the fibers, using a candle, as shown in one of my earlier posts.
I also used Bondic glue, great for this kind of work. Easy to apply, and using a UV light, sets in seconds holding those fibers in place. Note: be prepared to set aside several hours to attach the optic cables. (Candle lit, night in!!!, not quite what I had in mind.)

Next up, I will finish off the fibers and attaching the LED bulbs.
Then onto the stands-alone computer desk.
Photo 101.jpg
Photo 102.jpg
Photo 103.jpg
Photo 104.jpg
Photo 105.jpg
Photo 106.jpg
Photo 107.jpg
Photo 108.jpg
Photo 109.jpg
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 20 November 2016 19:45:28

Photo 1. The final set of fibers are inserted into the computer panel. Now to sort them out into different colours.

Photo 2. Here I have cut the bottom of the computer panel to allow the cables to feed through. I have also separated the fibers into six areas with shrink tubing. Note: when using heat on the tubing, take care as it will not take much heat to destroy the fiber optic cables.

Photo 3. This is a picture of the underside.

Photo 4. Now onto the bulbs and wiring loom that will power the unit. First, I chose six different bulbs as shown here.
Orange
Red
White
Rainbow Effect
Flashing Red
Flashing Yellow

Photo 5. Next the wiring loom, shown here

Photo’s 6 & 7. The final pictures are the finished panel with all lighting attached.

Here is the You Tube video to give you an idea of how it looks.

https://youtu.be/zyjtVtmG8yA

Next the stand-alone computer.
Photo 110.jpg
Photo 111.jpg
Photo 112.jpg
Photo 113.jpg
Photo 114.jpg
Photo 115.jpg
Photo 116.jpg
Markwarren
#5 Posted : 22 November 2016 21:58:45

Picture 1. Using some reference pictures, I have tried to scale the computer console to the correct size.
Here is a scaled drawing of how I wanted it to look. When drawing the scaled sketch, it looked far smaller than I had imagined.

Pictures 2 & 3. Then I cut the pieces using plastic card, then reinforcing the side panels before gluing it together.

Pictures 4 & 5. Some more reinforcement is needed before attaching the top pieces. The second picture is with the piece attached.

Pictures 6,7 & 8. Now to add the detail. As you can see I have used shrink tubing for the computer screens, as shown in a previous post.

Pictures 9 & 10. Then it is primed ready for the final detailed painting and lighting effects. The first picture shows the scale of the piece, and just how small it really is.

Photo 117.jpg
Photo 118.jpg
Photo 119.jpg
Photo 120.jpg
Photo 121.jpg
Photo 122.jpg
Photo 123.jpg
Photo 124.jpg
Photo 125.jpg
Photo 126.jpg
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 23 November 2016 18:37:50

Picture 1. I have now sprayed the console with Metalcote paint and polished before applying some detailing. You can also see the white LED bulb and micro connector which will give the lighting effect to the two screens.

Picture 2. Before attaching the light, I fitted some silver aluminium foil to the inside to give a better illumination once lit.

Picture 3 & 4. This is the underside of the console once the cables and light had been fitted. The second picture shows how the connectors attach.

Pictures 5 & 6. These pictures show the finished computer console with all the detail painted.

Picture 7. Couldn’t resist showing the two computers side by side each other, powered and working.

Next, I will be showing how to use razor blade covers as grills on the bulkheads before turning to the corridor sections.
Photo 127.jpg
Photo 128.jpg
Photo 129.jpg
Photo 130.jpg
Photo 131.jpg
Photo 132.jpg
Photo 133.jpg
Markwarren
#7 Posted : 06 December 2016 01:09:19

As stated in my last post, I will be working on the hold area, giving it a little more detail, whilst using most of the supplied parts. First were the bulkheads. I liked the idea of a vent system, so I used some razor blade covers I found lying around.
Pictures 1,2 &3. As you see in the first picture, I’ve placed the cover on the panel. As this is the bulkhead where the computer console will be, I decided to cut the cover as it was too large for this area. I then marked the cover where it will be cut.

Pictures 4,5 & 6. The next pictures show the cover cut and the difference in size to the original. The final picture shows the cut down version in place on the bulkhead panel. You can also see that I have sanded the cover, this will make it easier to apply the primer paint first before adding detail.

Pictures 7 & 8. The final pictures are the grills painted with all the added detail. I did not cut the covers when applying them to the larger bulkhead. I have also inserted some printed paper inside the grills, covering the holes at the front. This is to defuse the LED lighting that will go in from the back of the panel.

Next, I will be posting how to make some cargo barrels and other detail that will make up the final details in the hold area.
Picture 9. Here is a bendy straw I used to make some piping.
Photo 135.jpg
Photo 135a.jpg
Photo 138.jpg
Photo 138a.jpg
Photo 139.jpg
Photo 140.jpg
Photo 141.jpg
Photo 142.jpg
Photo 143.jpg
Markwarren
#8 Posted : 06 December 2016 12:18:07

Pictures 1,2 &3. Here is the template for the printed grills I used inside the covers. The last two pictures area of the light in place at the rear of the bulkhead and computer console below lit. One is lit with a torch shining on it to show the internal grill pattern.

Picture 4. This is the start of some grills that will be placed around the hold area. Note, the little screwdriver, couldn’t resist.

Photo 1.jpg
Photo 2.jpg
Photo 3.jpg
Photo 4.jpg