Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages «<678
Tom's Build Options
birdaj2
#141 Posted : 11 October 2016 08:40:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

That does all look very good and its certainly an interesting and unusual kit.

Display cases are always a problem mainly in terms of the cost.

Not sure how tall your armour is but cornwall model boats sell this:

http://www.cornwallmodel...splay_Case_Section.html

Might be worth considering, and i am sure you could source this in the US from one of the model stores.

Its also made under the artisania latina brand in different types of wood.

http://www.artesanialati...s-and-equipment/frames/

And while its a link i have not used so unable to add my recommendation i came across this the other day

http://www.modelshipcases.com/
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
arpurchase
#142 Posted : 11 October 2016 20:00:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looking great and your right by the end the lacing gets easyer to doCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

tnequette
#143 Posted : 11 October 2016 20:06:36

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks Tony.

The model will end up about 36" high, 16" deep and 18" wide. I really won't know until the helmet crest is attached and the leg guards are put down in front of the tassets. My homemade wooden box is also quite heavy as it was made out of 3/4" hardwood. He will be a chore to move around but without a case it will have to covered to prevent dust.

So, I will probably build one myself, trapezoidal in shape, stained hardwood, with a routed grooved frame, glass top and sides, solid base and a solid back covered with a suitable Japanese motif of some sort (recommendations are welcome). The plate window glass is easy to get and not too expensive.

Would really like to find or build a scale sword set and maybe a pole flag to include.

THEN, where the wife allow me to put it?Confused LOL

Tom
tnequette
#144 Posted : 28 October 2016 21:48:09

Hi Gents,

Last package has arrived, Pack 12. But NO DISPLAY BOX. If Tomick sees this please let me know how to still get it. Other than that, we shall proceed.BigGrin

Tom
tnequette
#145 Posted : 14 November 2016 01:09:13

I have been a little slow in getting started on this Pack but things have been a bit interesting on this side of the pond for the last 10 days. It has been very interesting.

Well, there is not a whole lot romantic about doing the leg guards. Excellent instructions. The only thing I did different was in the lacing of the armor to the foundation fabric. The amor assumes it own shape once laced together and does not lie flat. It worked better for me to lace the perimeter all the way around and then do the center. No bid deal. I was surprised at the hours spent on this - more than expected.

One more to go!

tnequette attached the following image(s):
12-1 Leg Guard  .JPG
12-2 Leg Guard.JPG
12-3 Leg Guard.JPG
ian smith
#146 Posted : 14 November 2016 14:39:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

HI Tom.
Looking fantastic, look forward to seeing some pictures of the finished armour. your hard work has really paid off. IanCool Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
arpurchase
#147 Posted : 14 November 2016 19:39:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nicely done I also used cardboard roles from loo paper covered in black tissue paper as central supports for the leg guardsCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#148 Posted : 14 November 2016 21:28:18

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

A very nice piece of work Tom, I've always been impressed with this as a finished display piece.. Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
birdaj2
#149 Posted : 14 November 2016 21:50:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Beautiful model you have yourself there.

Really like the detail on the material parts you have used.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
tnequette
#150 Posted : 15 November 2016 22:28:13

Thanks to all for the kind comments. Andy, you gave the idea on the toilet paper rolls. Covered them with black paper, sprayed them with black paint and stuffed them with black tissue paper. Works good. Nice to have something to tie the leg guard bands.
BigGrin

Tom
tnequette
#151 Posted : 06 December 2016 02:40:44

Greetings,

I'm a bit slow on getting Date finished but Holidays and Honey Do"s do tend to get in the way of the important things.

The second leg guard is now finished. No surprises or problems. Just follow the instructions. The only tip I would offer on these guards is to be careful not to lace the plates too tightly. Leave a bit of slack so they can bend a little.

Getting close but still no storage box. Guess I will have to contact MS.

Tom
12-4 Leg Guards.JPG
tnequette
#152 Posted : 06 December 2016 18:23:57

DONE !!!

Wow, did it! Finished old Date about an hour ago.

The Pole Holder was simple. I was disappointed to see this part was plastic but looks good, polished well. I'll ask this again in the general samurai folder but how long would the flag pole be? I'm guessing the real ones were either wood or bamboo. The only flag I seen for this purpose for Date's family was black with a gold disk centered on it. I think I would like to add this to the final display.

The helmet cord was very close to being too short. Be very frugal when closing the ends, you need every millimeter. Another 5 cm would have would have made this step easier. BUT, it is on! Crest slides on. Oh, the instruction are fuzzy as to how the clip is to be attached. Which end goes where, etc. Take a close look at the inside cover of this booklet. Good profile pic which will help.

I will write a summary but basic stats for the build are: 12 month subscription (received in 11 BigGrin), start date: 29/12/2015 and finished 06/12/2016. Man-hours including my wooden display box is 532. A case will be needed and it will have to be BIG. Am anticipating 590mm W X 380mm D X 920mm H. I will add this part to my diary as it happens and add it to the total project hours.

More pictures in a better setting later.
12-5 pole Holder.JPG
12-6 Finished Model 1.JPG
12-7 Finished Model 2.JPG
delboy271155
#153 Posted : 06 December 2016 19:12:30

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Excellent finish and in very good time for the amount of hours put in.

Well done.

Cool Love Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

tigerace
#154 Posted : 06 December 2016 19:47:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Wow thats an excellent buildBigGrin quite big aswellBlink hope you`ve got a good spot picked out to display itDrool Love well doneCool Regards Phil
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

davetwin
#155 Posted : 06 December 2016 20:06:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

It's been a real pleasure following your build of this. Your patience and skill have really paid off resulting in a stunning finished article Love Love
arpurchase
#156 Posted : 06 December 2016 20:16:11

BigGrin Very nice finish and well done, having one myself you have to see it in the flesh to realise how imposing a model he is and certainly a show stopper as people see him on displayCool

tnequette
#157 Posted : 07 December 2016 00:42:33

SUMMARY

Thanks to all your comments and help. This model is completely different from anything I have ever done. Also I must praise the forum system and for me the monthly subscription method was excellent. Good work and good breaks. The decision to invest $715.00 US net after all deals, etc. was not a simple one. This was more than I have ever put into any single model. In fact, I drooled over it for a year before plunging in. This kit is an exercise in assembly versus fabrication - very different from any standard kit. It will challenge you.

The first pack was started on Dec 29, 2015 and the model was completed on Dec 6, 2016. I spent 470.5 man hours on the model itself. Cost was $1.52US per hour - cheap. If you read my diary you will see I built my own wooden display base. Wood was on hand and hardware was about $80.00US and hours to build was 61.5. Who knows what the case will be or hours to build, but I shall add it to this summary when finished. The case is not really optional, you will have to have one to display this model.

My build report covers each stage, good, bad and frustrating. You may be interested in the man-hours spent per pack. Experience in lacing makes the task easier and faster as time goes on.

Pack 1 18 hrs
Pack 2 34 hrs
Pack 3 52 hrs
Pack 4 29.5 hrs
Pack 5 50 hrs
Pack 6 41.5 hrs
Pack 7 58 hrs
Pack 8 38 hrs
Pack 9 36 hrs
Pack 10 36.5 hrs
Pack 11 33 hrs
Pack 12 39 hrs

It was a great modeling experience and very unique.

Now, what to do next?

Tom
tnequette
#158 Posted : 22 December 2016 01:00:35

Greetings to all and thanks for all the support I have received.

Date has been moved to the living room for the Holidays and I need to find a feather duster. After the First I will be starting on a display case and will add to this post. But now he is done and a few pictures are being posted on the Finished Build Gallery.

A really good and learning experience and a highly recommended kit.

Tom Nequette