Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Hans vs D51 Options
Hans
#1 Posted : 01 December 2016 14:40:56

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Oh dear, the spark returns and you start building again and the first thing you do, is subscribe to a new modelLOL. Ordered last week, 7 days later "Good day Sir, a delivery for you". SWMBO will not be pleasedCursing. Finished the HMS Victory a year ago and lost my MOJO, have been tickering with the Endeavour Cross Section, to keep my hand in itBlushing, but it has returned Drooland I thought I might try something new so here goes!!!!!!
Hans attached the following image(s):
20161201_152223.jpg
20161201_152153.jpg
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
Nemesis
#2 Posted : 01 December 2016 14:50:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This is a fantastic kit and looks superb in the metal or painted finish. Good luck on your build.BigGrin
pemberg
#3 Posted : 01 December 2016 15:02:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This is a great kit and builds into an impressive model. I left mine unpainted and it looks great.
Graeme
Gandale
#4 Posted : 01 December 2016 15:19:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great to hear you're back building again Hans, missed seeing you around and of course the posting of your progress.... I'll be following all the way..... Good luck with it...

Regards

Alan
birdaj2
#5 Posted : 01 December 2016 15:47:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hans

Hope you have some fun with your build.

I have been going this one and what i particularly like is you can dip in and out of the build without having to set up loads of gear to get on with the build.

Hope it all goes well for you. If there is one small tip i would offer that would be leave the number pkate off the front of the boiler if you intend to paint as that will makes things just that litlke bit easier.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
delboy271155
#6 Posted : 01 December 2016 17:25:51

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Good luck with the new build Hans.

Cool Cool Cool Cool

Great choice

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

davetwin
#7 Posted : 01 December 2016 18:05:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very nice choice, will build into a stunner Cool

Have you decided if you are going to paint it or leave it in Brass?
Spal
#8 Posted : 01 December 2016 19:01:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great choice Hans BigGrin hope you enjoy it, as a matter of interest are you thinking of getting the display cover that fits over the display base ?

Al
Hans
#9 Posted : 01 December 2016 20:02:24

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thank you all for the welcome back.

Tony thank for the tip I think I will be going the brass way, as I have a particular love of brass and copper. I might have a look at weathering it slightly , just for effect.

Al. I am one of those that love making my own cabinets(woodwork another hobby)and covers so will probably go that route. Do not believe in forever dusting my models, as I do not trust others to do it.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
arpurchase
#10 Posted : 01 December 2016 20:34:26

BigGrin Have fun with it and its a great looking model when finishedCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Hans
#11 Posted : 26 December 2016 21:01:26

So far so good.
Have received two packs alreadyLove and have had some great fun Confused putting it all together. Having decided to go with the brass and all its bling I am going to have to investigate how to polish up with all the finger prints etc on the brass and copper. So far I have completed
1. The number plate and smoke box door
2. Smoke box and boiler hinge joint
3. Chimney and water feed system
4. The first driving wheels and coupling rods.
5. Spark arrester and blast pipe
6. Front Deck
7. Maintenance hatch and lamp hooks
8. Release lever, front end and iron guards.

As this is my first build not of a wooden nature, I am amazed at the weight and quality of the parts. The instructions are excellent and do not have one complaint or complication at this stage. I am thoroughly enjoying this build.
20161226_111001.jpg
20161226_111027.jpg
20161226_111337.jpg
20161226_111403.jpg
Rgds, Hans
Current Build:
Gandale
#12 Posted : 26 December 2016 21:33:07

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

looking good Hans, lovely work...Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
arpurchase
#13 Posted : 26 December 2016 21:38:05

BigGrin Hi Hans

Glad your enjoying the build and nice start. You now have a couple of choices you can carry on the construction wearing white cotton gloves or degrease the parts before assembly and use a clear metal primer like Tamiya's metal primer or Mr Hobbys metal primer.Be carefull when polishing the parts to remove finger prints ect as some parts are only brass plated and cleaning with too much vigor will remove the plating.

Tamiya 87061 metal primer

Mr Hobby B-504 Mr Metal Primer

Both are hard to find but give good results.

You could also add a coat of clear coat once the model is completed one I like to use is Alclads gloss clear coat although this is a spirit based gloss it gives great results although you will need an airbrush to apply it.

http://www.hiroboy.com/A...310--product--3545.html

Hope this helps and doing a google search may help in getting the best prices for the above examples.

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Hans
#14 Posted : 06 January 2017 14:17:33

Thank you Alan and Andy for looking in.
Thanks for the tips Andy. I will investigate which will work the best for me.
File Attachment(s):
20181028_184721.jpg (4,084kb) downloaded 35 time(s).
Rgds, Hans
Current Build:
Hans
#15 Posted : 28 October 2018 18:27:50

Hello all, has been a while since I posted on the forum however have been busy tinkering with D51 and so far have reached Stage 68. It has been an interesting and satisfying build do far.
20181028_184707.jpg
20181028_184712.jpg
20181028_184717.jpg
20181028_184721.jpg
Rgds, Hans
Current Build:
Gandale
#16 Posted : 29 October 2018 00:27:12

Great to see you making steady progress Hans, she's looking fab.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
arpurchase
#17 Posted : 29 October 2018 08:01:43

BigGrin Looking good and starting to come together nowCool