Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Making a start Options
Tiswas
#1 Posted : 31 August 2010 21:28:04

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

At long last I have been able to start my build and have started with the hull frame.
Evewrything was going smoothly until I came to issue No:8, when I found that I had 2 bits of 20b and no 21b. I fitted this into the hull frame but found it was fractionally short, so got onto DeAg today and they are sending another issue 8. Here are some pic's to show my progress.
TIS

Son of Bulwark
#2 Posted : 31 August 2010 22:51:52

Groups:

Hi Tiswas! BigGrin

Keep up the good work, at least you found the problem before you glued the rib sides on and fixed the deck. How is your rib 15 is it shaped right looks like it might be another sanding job like the rest of us!, in a bit here! add a bit there!.

And so it begins!Laugh

I like what I see, look forward to seeing more.

ThumpUp Darron
Tiswas
#3 Posted : 03 February 2011 16:42:41

Have not done anything much due to ostereosis of the spine between my shoulder blades which prevents me from bending over my work table for too long. Am undergoin further tests to determine the extent of it and then will have the relevant medication to remedy it, hopefully?
Here are my attempts so far and I seem to have hit a snag or two. Hopefully, someone will be able to shed some light on where I have gone wrong and I hope that you Tomick will be better qualified as to what I can do??

[/img]

When I came to start the lower planking of the hull around the bow, I found that the gap between the 1st three planks was just 1mm, so just carried on in the usual way, tapering those planks as I went. My question is: What do I do next? Do I carry out the procedure issue 32, page 12 from step !?
MY next problem is at the stern as you can see from the pic's:

When checking my model against Issue 33, I find that I somewhere, have gone wrong because you can see, I have gone further round with too few planks? Now, will I be able to get round this, or will I have to bite the bullet and strip those three planks out and start again??? Any suggestions ship mates.
Enjoying my build immensly but getting frustrated because I can only do a little at a time.
TIS (in a tiswas!!!)
benny
#4 Posted : 03 February 2011 19:32:07

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

hi tis,hope your aches and pains will get sorted out,good luck with that...on your second to last photo it looks like your planks are not secured flush with the ribs (BOTTOM PLANK LEFT HAND SIDE)the plank looks to be away from the rib at the bottom, if i am right take that one off and taper to fit..maybe the others are the same..cheers benny...by the way glad to see you have started your diary
cheers benny
CMB
#5 Posted : 04 February 2011 11:29:30

Hi,
I had much the same problem and despite removing the planks several times could not get them to lie correctley as per the instructions given.
After about a week of flustration decided on some drastic action.
You will possibly find that the next plank over laps the first three by some margin,
Mine did and I removed the planks and tapered them all to suit, but this made them pointy at the end and did not look right.My solution was to very slowly trim the first three layers back to where the overlaping plank lay in order that further planks would follow in line. Picture attached, this is a close up showing the join which when sanded will be OK. Repeat on other side and you should be fine and dandy.
I know this is not strictly to the book but other than stripping all the planking back and refairing the stern section could not see any other way.
I hope this is of some help.
Happy buildingBigGrin
CMB
CMB attached the following image(s):
SV400003.JPG
SV400004.JPG
Tiswas
#6 Posted : 04 February 2011 17:03:55

Thanks Benny and CMB for your suggestions. I am inclined to follow your advice CMB but would appreciate some input from Tomick, so if you read this Tomick then can you please help??
Would welcome your comments.
Tomick
#7 Posted : 04 February 2011 18:14:05

Groups:

The stern strips appear have not been tapered, and the last of the strips appears not to be seated at the frame side.

If you want to avoid a strip you could do as CMB suggests, or strip and re-look at the stern fairing then re-lay, but ensuring there is adequate taper for them to sit neatly upon the transom, and don't let the any planking shortfall gap beneath the gallery get any wider than 2mm.
saintsman123
#8 Posted : 04 February 2011 20:02:50

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I'm in no way an expert, and don't know if its any help, but with so many people looking at double planking, perhaps you could just carry on regardless, and then try and get the finish better with some veneer
Come on you Jimmies
Tiswas
#9 Posted : 05 February 2011 16:53:09

thankyou guys for your input. Will strip out the two problem planks and start again. Any views on what I have done and what needs to be done at the bow?
TIS
karl1113
#10 Posted : 05 February 2011 20:48:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

hi tiswas,as you are having probs, with the stern,get that right first,advice given so far is excellant,the bow is a different kettle of fish,look at darrens threads,he show exactly how to go about it,you will need to use droppers from the word go.to stop the clinkering effect,even if the first plank goe's round the bow nicely you still need to taper,so the next tapered plank starts to rise up the bow.this compound curve helps stop clinkering,I found it best to work with three planks at a time,and working out the taper to each one,and determining if droppers are needed.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Tiswas
#11 Posted : 12 February 2011 16:58:23

Thankyou Karl, will look at Bennys good work. Will follow your idea, on my next layer (fourth) will work with the dropper and hope it works out.
TIS