Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Receiving my 1st box delivered tomorrow... Question about glue to use. Options
PLlavaz
#1 Posted : 28 December 2015 02:09:18

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hello,

My name is Pablo and I was supposed to get my 1st box shipped by Christmas but there was a problem with my order and had to reorder it. My box is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I'm really excited!!

My question is, can anyone recommend a specific glue brand to get? I know I need to get cyanoacrylate glue aka super glue but looking around online, there are so many brands out there, that I am not sure which one to get.

Can someone please advise?

Thank you.

Regards,
Pablo
darbyvet
#2 Posted : 28 December 2015 02:28:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Pablo,
welcome to the forum.I am forum support for USA so let me know if I can help in any way.

There are tons of different superglues.You can use the very thin type or the gel type and some cure faster than others and some come with accelerators to speed up the glue setting.I generaly like the gel because it is easy to control and sets quickly.Sometimes I will use the thinner stuff if I have a very small piece to attach.I usually squeeze a little out onto a palette and then use a toothpick to pick up a small amount and place it where needed.If I am joining painted parts I scrape the paint off the gluing surfaces t get a good bond.

Carl
PLlavaz
#3 Posted : 28 December 2015 02:48:20

Thank you Carl,

That was great information you've provided me. Im looking around online now and I was wondering if you could recommend a specific brand name? I'm thinking the gel type.

Thank you again.

Regards,
Pablo
Nytetrain
#4 Posted : 28 December 2015 04:30:19

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Pablo,
Welcome to the forums and to this build. I personally use Zap. It's cheap, comes in different viscosities and is readily available at most hobby or craft stores. But you could use really any super glue like Gorrila glue or Loc-tite.

Ron
Best Regards,
Ron

On the bench: DeAgostini '67 Ford Shelby Mustang, Hachette Space Battleship Yamato 2202, Agora Models T-800 Terminator
Finished builds: DeAgostini Toyota 2000GT
In the Stash: Losing count...
darbyvet
#5 Posted : 28 December 2015 15:09:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Pablo I buy mine from Lowes and it is the Loctite gel.I have used Zap too and it is excellent.

Carl
PLlavaz
#6 Posted : 28 December 2015 16:18:12

Hello everyone,

Thank you very much for all the replies. I just got some Loctite super glue gel this morning at Home Depot. Now, patiently waiting for my package!!

Regards,
Pablo
Apophis
#7 Posted : 28 January 2017 03:26:05

Super glue is great to use on kits that need it.
If you really want do a great clean job use a liquid cement, but those can be expensive if you buy by the ounce, so what do you do? Easy, go to your local hardware store or lowes or Home Depot here in the states, go to the plumbing area and pick up a can of pvc cleaner, you can get a good sized can pretty cheap and you can transfer a small amount to a bottle and apply with a brush.
That type of glue is called MEK and when applied will melt the type of plastic the falcon is made of fast and will dry fast and if you get some on an area where you don't want it, just let it dry and it won't ruin the kit, and you will save money.
delboy271155
#8 Posted : 28 January 2017 04:31:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Pablo, BigGrin

Welcome to the forum.BigGrin

Looking forward to seeing some of your build.Cool

REgards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

BradM73
#9 Posted : 30 January 2017 06:48:11

Welcome to the build, Pablo!

As far as glues go, any "super" glue which is Cyanoacrylate (also called CA glue)is what you want. I'm not sure about Gorilla Glue, but I use Lock-tite super glue and it works perfectly. Stay away from other "model" glues because they don't dry fast enough and also they don't adhere to the plastic used in this kit.