Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Best Upgrades for specific parts Options
TheKraken
#1 Posted : 14 January 2017 23:28:33

Groups: Registered

So I'm looking to upgrade a few components of my Falcon in areas where I feel I could get the most bang for my buck. I'm hoping that builders who may have already done this can help me with a short list.

If you have done any of these please respond with your assessment of what you used and with plenty of pictures.

1. Window Glass: I know quite a few people simply won't have any in their cockpit and turret windows. I'm hoping to find someone who might have made thinner alternatives with actual hands on experience with them.

2. Engine Grille: Also aware there wasn't one on the prop but a plain strip of plastic simply doesn't the engines justice in my mind. I've seen several photoetch and 3d printed ones. I'd really like to see someone's final take on it.

3. Turret Alternatives: Again, I've seen some impressive designs for 3d printed ones and wondering if any stood out from the crowd in terms of quality.

Thanks for any contributions.
TheKraken
#2 Posted : 30 January 2017 22:09:59

Anyone stateside offering Vacuformed window replacements?
BradM73
#3 Posted : 31 January 2017 00:19:58

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

The best part upgrade I could possibly recommend is a 3D printed cockpit that is actually correct, compared to the two travesties that we were given by DeAgostini as parts for the kit. If you want your Falcon to truly look the part, than a 3D printed one is the way to go.

There are several options available, and all are good, but if you go this route, spend the extra money and go with the Frosted Ultra Detail versions as it will save you hours of work in priming and sanding a lower quality print.

As far as the windows, the original replica didn't have windows, so I'm not putting them in mine. I don't know of anyone who has done any vacuforming, though I've seen others use pieces of acrylic or other plastics to make custom windows. I think one person used the plastic from a water bottle.

As far as engine grilles, Paragraphics has a good kit available, and there are even some 3D printed ones as well. The original prop didn't have them either, so if you're going for an exact replica, that might be a consideration. Otherwise there isn't really a wrong answer.

And for the turrets, the ones supplied with the kit are practically identical to the original prop turrets as well. However we can clearly see from the movies that the turrets from the prop and the full sized turrets were different, and there are also several 3D printed options available if you want to go that route. It's a simple issue of finding the ones that are available for the DeAg kit and picking the set you like the best.

Definitely go with a 3D printed cockpit. You'll be glad you did!