Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

R2-D2 customised build page 1 Options
Tomick
#1 Posted : 19 December 2016 11:04:12

Groups:

The R2-D2 customised build is not intended to be a "rivet counters" build, but a tribute to what is probably the most iconic Droid in movie history!

Any questions on the Customised build should be posted into the R2-D2 discussion topic.
http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=topics&f=448
Tomick attached the following image(s):
sfondo-collezione.jpg
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 08 January 2017 20:49:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Welcome to the custom build for R2-D2. With this custom build, most of the customising will be made through different painting techniques and weathering. I have decided to give R2-D2 the "battered" look as we all saw him at the beginning of ANH. Any questions about this build should be posted into the R2-D2 discussion topic.

The original R2 unit, built for the films, used an off-white colour, almost giving it a cream look. This was great for the film production, and with all the lighting they used made R2-D2 look white. As I want R2 to aesthetically look correct I will be using "Rust-Oleum" Satin White aerosol.
The blue parts I will be using a combination of paints to give it that blue/purple metallic gloss look, and I will be doing a full painting guide if anyone wants to have a go.
More in the way of what paints to use will follow later, as I’m still at the experimental stages at the moment.
The weathering will be done with Mig oils, giving R2 a sandy rugged feel.

Anyway, that’s all to come, but first I have filled down the seams on the metal parts before a primer paint is applied.

Markwarren attached the following image(s):
Photo 01.jpg
Markwarren
#3 Posted : 15 January 2017 19:12:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Picture 1. After deliberating what colours I will be using here is a picture of some of the paints I will be using.

Pictures 2,3 & 4. After sanding down the metal parts in my earlier post, I then primed the pieces and painted them with silver metallic paint.

Picture 5. Once I had given then 24 hours drying time I then used some Mig starship filth oils to weather the parts to give them a more natural look.

Photo 01.jpg
Photo 02.jpg
Photo 03.jpg
Photo 04.jpg
Photo 05.jpg
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 15 January 2017 19:23:54

Here are the results of my colour experiments for the blue parts on R2-D2.
Pictures 1 & 2. First, I used the old proto type part I got back in last March. I sprayed the piece with grey primer and then sprayed it with an adhesion promoter. This will help the paint adhere to the metal and resin and help to give a hard finish.

Picture 3. I then sprayed the part with Tamiya Blue metallic and gave that 2 coats, drying it for around 15 minutes between each coat. The picture shown doesn’t really show the blue very well.

Picture 4. Once this was dry, around 15 minutes, I then sprayed with Tamiya translucent purple.

Pictures 5,6 & 7. It was then finished with three coats of clear gloss varnish, allowing 25 minutes between each coat. The piece was touch dry after 30 minutes, but will take 24 hours for the hard finish.

As you can see it was not too dissimilar to the un-painted part in colour, but felt it came out a little too purple.

Pictures 8 & 9. So I decided to paint a second part using a different variation. Again, I painted the parts with grey primer and the adhesion promoter. Once these were dry I then sprayed the pieces with silver metallic paint. This was to bring out the metallic look in the paint that would be applied over the top.

Pictures 10,11,12,13,14,15,16 & 17. Once this was dry, I then painted with metallic blue and then one coat of purple. This was then followed with three coats of clear varnish.
Here you can see the metallic look a little better and depending which way you look, it either looks bright blue or more purple in different lights.

Picture 18. The final picture shows three pieces together.
First part is the row is the more metallic one, second is the original un-painted part and the last one is the more purple one.
I will probably go with the more metallic blue one as it looks more aesthetically correct.
Note, the pictures shown don’t really do the colours justice. I have done a small video to give you more idea.

Video Link

https://youtu.be/lQXw8DX8wp4
Photo 06.jpg
Photo 07.jpg
Photo 08.jpg
Photo 09.jpg
Photo 10.jpg
Photo 11.jpg
Photo 12.jpg
Photo 13.jpg
Photo 14.jpg
Photo 14a.jpg
Photo 16.jpg
Photo 17.jpg
Photo 18.jpg
Photo 21.jpg
Photo 22.jpg
Photo 23.jpg
Photo 24.jpg
Photo 25.jpg
Markwarren
#5 Posted : 29 January 2017 20:23:50

I have decided to give the R2 unit a beaten up look as seen in the early Star Wars films. First, I wanted to respray all the component parts, so when weathering with the oils I will be using, will give a better more authentic effect.
Picture 1. I started by spraying all the parts with a primer paint.

Pictures 2 & 3. The white pieces were then sprayed with a silver paint and then some Humbrol Maskol applied and set aside to dry.

Pictures 4 & 5. Then onto the blue leg parts. Again, these were panted silver, left to dry and then the silver parts masked off, before painting the blue/purple paints. I again used Humbrol Maskol and put to one side to dry.

Note: Once the blue and purple paint had been applied, I let it dry for a while and removed the Maskol before I sprayed the parts with clear gloss.

Pictures 6 & 7. Next, I sprayed the white parts with a white matt paint, left to dry before peeling off the Maskol.

Picture 8. Before test fitting the metal parts and piecing everything together, I used some oil paint to the inner areas.

Pictures 9 & 10. Here are all the parts painted, and will be left for several days for the paint to harden off before any weathering can be done.

Pictures 11 & 12. And here, I have temporary fitted the parts together to give some idea of how it will start to look.
The final picture shows the customised part against the supplied part as it is.
For those eagle eyed people, yes I have fitted one of the metal parts the wrong way round on the supplied piece.

Next, I will be weathering the part to give it more depth as well as using some sand pigment.
Photo 26.jpg
Photo 27.jpg
Photo 28.jpg
Photo 29.jpg
Photo 30.jpg
Photo 31.jpg
Photo 32.jpg
Photo 33.jpg
Photo 34.jpg
Photo 35.jpg
Photo 35a.jpg
Photo 36.jpg
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 04 February 2017 20:26:53

I decided that I had overdone the blue part with the worn areas, so I re-sprayed and was not as heavy handed with the Humbrol Maskol. The reference pictures I am using, show the leg parts very pitted, whilst the rest of the R2 unit is not as bad. I guess it’s because the legs parts are more likely to get knocked a bit more.
The paints I used were Mig Starship filth, my favourite colour, dark mud and a Mig sand colour. I will leave it to dry for a few days and then spray it with a satin varnish.
Photo 39.jpg
Photo 40.jpg
Photo 41.jpg
Photo 42.jpg
Photo 43.jpg
Photo 44.jpg