Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

TechnicMan's Artoo Build Options
TechnicMan
#1 Posted : 16 January 2017 12:00:12

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi all

This is the first time I've ever subscribed to one of these magazine part-build projects, they get a lot of negative press and are expensive when you add the cost up. However, the opportunity to build my own R2-D2 was too good to pass up!

Got my first two issues on Saturday and I have to say I am really pleased by the quality of the parts so far; I certainly wasn't expecting many of them to be cast in metal. So, really impressed so far and enjoyed putting the first few parts together. Looking forward to getting the next two issues BigGrin
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 16 January 2017 12:06:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Welcome to the forum. BigGrin

I`m sure you`ll enjoy the R2 build and hope to see some pics of progress in the near future.

Enjoy the experience.Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Tomick
#3 Posted : 16 January 2017 13:07:21

Groups:

TechnicMan wrote:
Hi all

This is the first time I've ever subscribed to one of these magazine part-build projects, they get a lot of negative press and are expensive when you add the cost up. However, the opportunity to build my own R2-D2 was too good to pass up!

Got my first two issues on Saturday and I have to say I am really pleased by the quality of the parts so far; I certainly wasn't expecting many of them to be cast in metal. So, really impressed so far and enjoyed putting the first few parts together. Looking forward to getting the next two issues BigGrin
Welcome to ModelSpace, hope you enjoy your stay with us and your R2 build.

The "gutter press" tend to roll out the same old scaremongering each and every year. All partworks are expensive in terms of overall cost, but if you add up the annual cost of a typical newsrag, it equates to a few hundred pounds which generally ends up in the bin or as tomorrows chip paper and nothing to show for the outlay Blink

Markwarren
#4 Posted : 16 January 2017 13:15:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Welcome to the forum. The R2-D2 build is a really good choice. I look forward to your progress.ThumpUp
pemberg
#5 Posted : 16 January 2017 15:05:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the forum, looking forward to seeing your build progress.
Graeme
davetwin
#6 Posted : 16 January 2017 17:46:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the forum,p and great choice of kit.

They are expensive but when you look at the magazine with all the information that is included and the hours of fun it doesn't actually work out that bad Cool

Hope you enjoy your build, will you be doing any form of modifications or building as is?
Nemesis
#7 Posted : 16 January 2017 18:32:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your time here, and looking forward to seeing your build, R2 seems to be a very popular choice.BigGrin
Spudtrooper37
#8 Posted : 16 January 2017 18:49:20

Welcome aboard,

As you say the parts so far are spot on. If you you weigh the cost up against a pack of fags or booze, at least you have something to show at the end.

Any plans on whether to build standard or customise?
Darren

Have an AWSOME day and may the Force be with you always 😉

Building: Millennium Falcon https://forum.model-spac...sts&t=14381&p=7 - Building: BTTF Delorean - Building: Dom's Dodge Charger
- Building : X-Wing https://forum.model-spac...aspx?g=posts&t=34899
Spal
#9 Posted : 16 January 2017 21:11:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the forum BigGrin hope you enjoy your R2 build.

Al
Impman66
#10 Posted : 16 January 2017 21:50:51

I justify the cost by looking at it as an investment. Also, as others have said you have something concrete and usable, and dare I say it sought after at the end of the subscription.
If you build it he will come

Built - Eaglemoss 3D Printer. Building - R2D2

National league Champions 2017
FA Cup Quarter Finalists 2017
Moonman
#11 Posted : 19 January 2017 18:08:17

Welcome to the forum. I think you will quickly discover that the forum members are wonderfully supportive and talented individuals with a shared passion. I was hooked on the MF shortly after receiving the first four issues so it was a "no brainer" when I heard about the R2D2.
magpie1832
#12 Posted : 19 January 2017 20:18:37

Groups:

Welcome to the forum. Great choice with r2.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Coser
#13 Posted : 29 January 2017 15:30:32

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Technicman.

I am also collecting the R2 but have not started my build yet. I want to see if I can customise the paintwork and I need better weather here in the UK before I can do that. Will be following your build with interest until I can get started.

It is true that this collection is expensive at around £900 to complete. But for a fully autonomous driod, that's amazing value
Current Builds
Eaglemoss: Ecto-1, BTTF Delorean [Installing Mods]
Hachette: T800 Endoskeleton
Agora Models Shelby Cobra 427 [Plate 031]
BanDai 1:5000 Imperial Star Destroyer
AMT 1991 U.S.S. Enterprise Bridge [Installing Mods & Lights]

Finished Builds
Deagostini: R2-D2 [Never getting batteries]
TechnicMan
#14 Posted : 05 February 2017 14:01:28

Hi guys!

Thanks for all the enthusiastic messages, it's great to know there's an active community out there ready with help and advice.

I received my parcel containing issues 3 and 4 this week and have just finished putting them together. Slightly hampered by the lack of black printing on the construction pages of issue 4, but it's all on the official diary on here anyway so no worries there!

All good so far, the blue and red LEDs look great through the diffuser cover BigGrin and the leg is looking good, and surprisingly heavy, which all adds to the feeling of quality.

Part of me wants to save up all the parts until then end and then have one big build session! But that's not realistic, so I'm thinking maybe I should take out a second subscription and keep that one, then I can build it all at once and maybe do some customisation too... Anyone else done that?

Anyway, I'll attach some pics if I can work out how!

Cheers for now,

Julian
File Attachment(s):
IMG_20170205_123901.jpg (1,124kb) downloaded 25 time(s).
IMG_20170205_123939 (1).jpg (1,418kb) downloaded 25 time(s).
delboy271155
#15 Posted : 05 February 2017 16:11:19

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Julian, BigGrin

Good to see a start of your R2 build.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

To get your pics to appear just resize them to 660 pixels width and they should be fine.

Congrats on your "Blue" medal for starting your diary.Love

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

rj1265
#16 Posted : 05 February 2017 19:15:17

Welcome to the R2 club !

Personally I don't think about the overall cost - its the time spent per month & enjoyment I get out of building is what makes them value for money ( It was tough justifying to myself let alone the wife nearly £200 on the 1/32nd Tamyia Spitfire and Eduard 'Big Ed' Photoetch set ... !!), its less than 1 Indian takeaway for 4 , 7 pints of beer , 1/2 a nice meal out with my wife ( we still have those :) )

TechnicMan wrote:
Part of me wants to save up all the parts until then end and then have one big build session! But that's not realistic, so I'm thinking maybe I should take out a second subscription and keep that one, then I can build it all at once and maybe do some customisation too... Anyone else done that?

Saving all the parts and then starting the build process can be daunting - I am still looking at a very large box with 1/2 the Falcon in it!!

I Look forward to seeing your progress BigGrin BigGrin
On the WorkBench : DeAg Millennium Falcon , Deag R2-D2
To Build : various 1/72 , 1/32 WW II Military Planes
TechnicMan
#17 Posted : 23 August 2017 16:31:34

Hi guys, been a while since my last post, but been very busy moving house and sorting family stuff!

Am catching up now though and still very impressed with the quality of the model. I am finding it difficult to work out which screws to use sometimes though; it would be nice to have a picture of them all with a ref/name so that it's easier to identify them.

Anyway, just put the projector unit together (issue 29) and I'm not getting any images produced Sad. Looking on the main forum I see there are others having similar problems (although I'm not even getting the Luke image) so I've posted on there to see if I can get it resolved.