Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Countach Right Door Options
rjfk2002
#1 Posted : 25 January 2017 05:25:14

Groups: Registered

Has anyone tried to install the right door (pack 24) on the Countach? I just tried this evening and am running into a fit problem. The left door fits perfectly but the right is way off. It almost seems misshapen. I am curious if anyone else has run into an issue

Rich
Eagle
#2 Posted : 25 January 2017 13:25:44

Red Medal: Red Medal

I had issues with it; too loose and won't latch very well-- finally used double sided tape to hold it in position- I keep mine in display case with other side facing out--if anyone has a solution I'd love to see them post it.

rjfk2002
#3 Posted : 25 January 2017 14:01:55

Thanks for your response. Does your door follow the contour of the body? I have the same looseness and latch issues but also the lower half of the door is not flush with the body. I will post some pics later. Everything so far has fit together perfectly so it seems odd to me. I need to take the front assembly apart to see if the door sits properly on its own to confirm
davetwin
#4 Posted : 25 January 2017 21:12:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I haven't gotten that far myself, have you got some photos you can share as it might help others who got that far to diagnose the problem.
rjfk2002
#5 Posted : 26 January 2017 04:34:44

Sure. This is my first post with pics so hopefully it came through.

The pics are slightly out of order. Starting with the second you can see both doors. The left (driver) door fits perfectly - nice and flush on all the edges. The right is angled off the body slightly. When I use my finger to pin it to the body you cans see the results in the first pic. The bottom of the door doesn't follow the contour of the body. The way the hinge is constructed it's hard for me to imagine that the hinge is improperly angled thus creating this skew but who knows. I welcome anyone's thoughts/views

Davetwin, one piece of advice on the doors. Put masking tape along the edges between the doors and the hood (both sides). Installing the front takes some effort and the doors can swing around and ding up the paint. I learned this the hard way unfortunatelyBlushing
rjfk2002 attached the following image(s):
IMG_2434.jpg
IMG_2436.jpg
stevie_o
#6 Posted : 26 January 2017 12:01:32

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Rich
I have been looking at my completed build and with the doors unlatched there is a fair bit of lateral play, and when the doors are allowed to drop on their own they do seem to sometimes rest in the same position as yours. The difference is that mine will lock into place as soon as they are pushed inward.

Seeing as the hinge only fits in one way then I doubt this could have been fitted wrong. Does the door stay in the open position on its own? This should mean that the hinge and hinge lock are fitted correctly.

Im wondering if this could be a problem with the lock not engaging rather than the hinge being mis-aligned? With the door open does the lock move in and out when the lock button is pressed?

Steve
jquest64
#7 Posted : 26 January 2017 16:16:51

Yeah I agree with Stevie_o. I dont think it's the hinge but the latch.
My doors close into position like that but then the latch holds them in close.
Hopefully that is it, you might be able to address it without taking the whole body off.
rjfk2002
#8 Posted : 27 January 2017 01:26:52

Thanks gents for responding.

The door unfortunately does not latch when pushed in. The latch doesn't seem to catch on the left side. Steve when you open the doors do they stay in the upright position on their own? Mine do not, they both flop down and have to be held up by hand. Perhaps that is the issue with my build. When you first attached the doors to the fenders (before putting the assembly on the main body) did they stay in the upright, locked position? If that is the case then I should take the entire front assembly off and examine the hinge and door locks carefully.

Rich
stevie_o
#9 Posted : 27 January 2017 12:35:55

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

It seems that you have a couple of seperate problems here, the doors should stay in the upright or open position on their own, even when attached to the front section only (before being joined to the main body). This is because you fit the hinge lock to the the front section in stage 79 before the front attaches to the main assembly.

The other problem is that the door lock is not latching - did you perform the lock test as per step 35 of stage 78?

I think it is looking like some dis-assembly is going to be required - you need to take the front section off again and check the door hinges are on the right sides (L or R) make sure also you fitted the door hinge locks correctly (steps 16-18, stage 79) this is the part that holds the door in the up position.

If your locks are not moving freely then the doors will also need taking apart to loosen the screw and plastic washer on lock part A. This part could be tricky as the door inner is push fitted into place.

Im sure it can all be fixed, just needs a bit of work to put right. Dont forget to mask your paintwork when taking it apart to avoid scratches.

Steve
rjfk2002
#10 Posted : 29 January 2017 22:50:51

Thanks Steve for your assistance. Your explanation is really helpful. I will also consult your build guide as I redo the doors.

I have started to disassemble the front end to fix the hinge lock. It was not easy getting that front fender off, but after 10 minutes of wiggling/tugging it came off. I will let everyone know how it progresses
rjfk2002
#11 Posted : 12 February 2017 17:57:35

A quick in process update.

I disassembled the front end and found my first issue. On the left door the hinge was not seated properly. The screw is slightly askew. I need to rethread to get the hinge seated properly. This explains why the door didn't fit with the body. The second issue was the hinges on both doors were too loose. This is why the doors wouldn't stay open. The arm on the hinge should be loose enough to rotate 90 degrees but tight enough to stay in the forward position. By tightening the hinge the door now works with the hinge lock to keep it upright. When I close the door there is a snapping sound as the metal door moves through the hinge lock. I checked with Steve and this is normal.

I will update again after I reassembled everything to confirm it works. I hope this is helpful for the other lambo builders out there

davetwin
#12 Posted : 13 February 2017 22:05:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Glad you got it sorted Cool
Gandale
#13 Posted : 13 February 2017 22:30:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Its always great to hear when a problem has been resolved, makes everything so worthwhile..... Well done....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
rjfk2002
#14 Posted : 16 February 2017 04:19:56

OK I'm almost there... I reattached everything and the right door fits but is super tight. The left door almost fits flush but the door lock mechanism pushes it out slightly.

The first pic shows the door when I press the lock in - everything is flush. The second shows what happens when the lock engages. I think I need to shave/reshape the door lock slightly to get it to fit.

My assembly/disassembly process has shown me there is an alternative way to assemble the front end. The instructions suggest that the builder attach the doors to the front fender and then attach the enter assembly to the body. I found this to be very cumbersome and difficult to get the struts to fit through the slots. You need an extra set of hands and even then its a tricky. It is possible to instead leave the doors off, attach the front fender to the body and then attach the doors. By flipping the model over you can still get to the screws that hold the door in place. I found this to be a much easier way to assemble everything.
rjfk2002 attached the following image(s):
IMG_2475.jpg
IMG_2474.jpg