Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Robi not balancing quite right after build Options
sbondi
#1 Posted : 02 March 2017 05:38:11

Groups: Registered

Now that I got past the initial intro (thanks to the replies in this forum :), my Robi can do lots of things, but FAILS on various balancing moves:

Talk/Listen

> Successfully talks
> Successfully responds
> FAILS to turn to person speaking, especially with “Come and face me"
> Successfully sings

Sit

> FAILS to sit up from laying down
> FAILS to sit down from standing position
> Note: Ends up on back with legs perpendicular in the air - appears to be in correct final position when pushed onto butt

Stand

> FAILS to stand from laying down
> FAILS to stand from sitting position
> Note: Ends up on back with legs straight - appears to be in correct final position when picked up onto feet

Walk

> Successfully walks forward
> Successfully walks backward

Exercise

> FAILS sit-ups (barely lifts up back), and FAILS when standing
> Completes push-ups, but FAILS when standing
> Successfully dances
> Successfully cleans
> Successfully kicks ball
> FAILS the balancing game (good for most of it, but falls on face towards the end)

Hopefully someone can help me with an adjustment that fixes it all! :)
sbondi
#2 Posted : 02 March 2017 12:06:29

To be clear, I have 5 balancing issues with Robi that I hope are all related, and 1 microphone issue:

1. not properly SITTING DOWN (when requested to sit, when requesting sit-ups, etc.)
2. not properly STANDING UP (when requested to stand, when done with sit-ups, when done with push-ups, etc.)
3. falling at the end of BALANCING GAME
4. falling face forward to start PUSH-UPS (although completes push-ups successfully before failing to stand back up)
5. not bending up much for SIT-UPS (may relate to properly holding legs)
6. not facing person speaking (e.g., COME AND FACE ME)

And in all cases (e.g., sitting issue, standing issue), Robi's body seems to end up in the correct position, but on his back instead of butt when trying to sit, and on his back or stomach instead of on his feet when trying to stand. Meaning that it seems to be a loss of balance in the trajectory from the current position to the final one.
darbyvet
#3 Posted : 02 March 2017 15:48:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Hi there,
there is some information on pages 537 and 538 of the assembly manual about balancing.If that doesnt help you may need to disassemble and make sure all the servo connections are properly seated and all of the screws are tightened properly.

I had an issue with one of Robis arms and I discovered one of the servo leads wasnt properly seated and it led to intermittent issues.

Carl

sbondi
#4 Posted : 02 March 2017 18:53:16

Thanks, I will look into that :)

Although, I can not understand how he can perfectly walk (forward and backward) AND dance, but not manage to sit and stand :( Again for sitting and standing, I am pretty sure his body ends up in the correct position, since when I shift him into his final orientation (roll him from his back to butt when sitting, and from his back to his feet when standing), he looks fine! It just seems like in his transition from his current position to the sitting position or standing position, he loses his balance a little :(
darbyvet
#5 Posted : 02 March 2017 19:21:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

my guess would be that when he is walking his center of gravity is not changing as much as when he tries to sit up so he is naturally more likely to fall during standing up, especially if one or more of his servos is not moving properly. Did you go through all of the testing before final assembly? Are you sure his neutral positions all correct.There is a section in the instruction manual showing exactly how to ensure all of the limbs are in the correct position. You balance issue doesnt seem to be one that has been commonly reported and thousands of these little guys have been built.

Carl

sbondi
#6 Posted : 02 March 2017 20:43:06

Well, it is disheartening to know that this is not common, since I felt like I followed all instructions and tests carefully and had hoped that this was a common situation of something people did not do perfectly that I could quickly resolve :(

In my case, all the tests passed at each stage before I moved to the next stage. Including in an early test finding that one arm was not moving correctly, disassembling it per the instructions, finding/fixing a screw that was not tightened enough and was obstructing a servo from fully moving, re-assembling it, and finally confirming that it then worked :)

And yes, I confirmed all the neutral positions at each stage in the build and before my current tests. Again, note that I believe his final positions end up correct - it is just the path in between that seems to have an issue. Although again, he can do his full dance sequence (perhaps one of the coolest things about him with the fast and dexterous human-like movement :) and return to neutral with NO problem. Not to mention walking forward or backward, then stopping in a neutral position.

I hoped that I would not have to go to the worst case scenario of disassembling almost all of him to check every servo, and them reassembling him almost from scratch :(
darbyvet
#7 Posted : 02 March 2017 21:04:06

I would maybe start with his legs first.Check those and see if it solves the issue.I would also look at his back servo closely.It is a bit tricky to see that moving properly when you test his upper body before final assembly.

It also may help if you can take a video of him trying to stand viewed from the side rather than the front and some video of him walking.

Carl

sbondi
#8 Posted : 03 March 2017 04:48:33

Sounds like a plan :)

I will mess with it on the weekend, and hopefully include all videos of what it can do and what it can't to see if that solicits any more specific ideas :)

AdamE
#9 Posted : 20 October 2021 23:31:07

darbyvet wrote:
Hi there,
there is some information on pages 537 and 538 of the assembly manual about balancing.If that doesnt help you may need to disassemble and make sure all the servo connections are properly seated and all of the screws are tightened properly.

I had an issue with one of Robis arms and I discovered one of the servo leads wasnt properly seated and it led to intermittent issues.

Carl

Where is the assembly manual? I have PDFs of all the pack build manuals and those pages only go up to 403 :-(

Thanks
darbyvet
#10 Posted : 21 October 2021 05:13:37

you may have a different version than I did.Unfortunately all my Robi magazines were ruined when by basement flooded recently so I dont have a way to post a copy of them.I will ask admin if there is a way to get a copy

Carl

admin
#11 Posted : 21 October 2021 21:55:07

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

I’m on it.

Mark
darbyvet
#12 Posted : 24 October 2021 01:35:35

thanks to our amazing Admin Mark here are the sections on balancing Robi.Please let me know you have any questions.
darbyvet attached the following image(s):
robi1.JPG
robi2.JPG
robi3.JPG
AdamE
#13 Posted : 30 November 2021 23:51:50

Thanks to Admin Mark!

I managed to find the pages in the PDFs too for anyone who wants to be able to see them full size - They are Pages 400 to 402 in PDF 18

Going to try the foam packing as I have been checking everything else and apart from the falling on dancing and some movements he is good to go!

That'll be the next one revived.

Then I can get on with the next one which had a dead English VR board and IR Board - so annoying as English VR boards are like gold dust! Have posted something up about the dead board on a separate thread.
AdamE
#14 Posted : 18 December 2021 22:43:19

I put the small black pads under the servos in the feet as described in the section, but he still falls when he dances etc.

It's very strange.
AdamE
#15 Posted : 18 December 2021 23:12:52

OK another update!

I put some external stick on pads (probably 1.5mm worth) under the front edges of his feet and he now dances without falling... so his center of gravity must be off.

What is also weird is I noticed that he seems to occasionally fall forward if I tell him to 'switch off' - just before he attempts to sit backwards - like his legs lose the powered state....

He is super frustrating as everything else seems fine!