Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

A decent silver paint for brushing? Options
roymattblack
#1 Posted : 01 March 2017 12:03:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Does anyone know of a good silver paint that will brush, 'like it used to'...?

I remember Humbrol silver as being just about the best.
It went on like milk, covered in one coat and dried to a nice silvery/ally finish.

Now, it's like trying to paint with oily treacle.
It strings horrendously, and after more than 10 seconds you can't over coat it as the second coat pulls off the first.
It goes gloopy and gluey in the brush withing 30 or more seconds.

I've also tried Revell and it's just as bad.

Is there a good silver paint that will brush on easily and smoothly?
All larger parts - and some small - of my models are painted via spray but there are times I need to brush bits.
It's driving me nuts.

Roy.
Tomick
#2 Posted : 01 March 2017 12:26:44

Groups:

This metallic set from Vallejo is getting some rave reviews though be mindful its a resin paint which needs ispopropyl to clean brushes and thin for airbrush use
http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&t=21881

Andy used the gold on his Cobra wheels..
http://forum.model-space...ts&t=22011&p=10

Humbrol day's in Enamel were great, in acrylic I dont rate them or Revell

roymattblack
#3 Posted : 01 March 2017 15:04:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Thanks for that Mr. T.
I'll have to give them a try.
darbyvet
#4 Posted : 01 March 2017 15:56:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

The games workshop paints are also pretty good.They are not that shiny, but brush on nicely without any streaks and dry really quickly.

Carl

greyhawk
#5 Posted : 01 March 2017 19:15:13

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Revell metallics need to be stirred (not shaken) really really well. When you think you're done repeat for the exact same amount of time. If they have any chance to sit, the pigments will cling to each other. Open a box after half a year and the pigments will be one big blob sitting in a lake of carrier.

Well stirred they actually brush on really well and don't suffer so much from Vallejos "Every silver colored Model Air metallic looks the same" problem. I tend to use them for spot work a lot.

EDIT: One thing to watch out for is to not dilute them too much. In fact I tend to use them straight from the can.
roymattblack
#6 Posted : 01 March 2017 19:21:40

Thanks Mr G.

I have a tinlet of Revell silver - either 06 or 90...
It seems like a silvery glue.
Extremely 'stringy, greasy and gloopy.
I do shake the bejabbers out of it.

However - I'll give your stirring suggestion a try and see how it work out.

Many thank, Roy.
greyhawk
#7 Posted : 01 March 2017 19:30:51

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Yup, shaking does nothing, it just throws the blob of goo up and down. Stirring works the carrier back into where the pigments have bonded to each other.
stevie_o
#8 Posted : 01 March 2017 19:40:50

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

darbyvet
#9 Posted : 01 March 2017 19:49:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

stevie_o wrote:
AK's true metal is the one for meBigGrin I have the Old bronze and Steel and they are amazing. When dry it can be polished too.

Needs to be used on primed surface though -

https://www.emodels.co.u...nteractive-metal-paints

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPNGFAgWmGU

Steve

yes we have something similar in USA called rubnbuff. I will be building a steampunk submarine using the rubnbuff wax based paints soon.

Carl

jase
#10 Posted : 01 March 2017 22:16:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

stevie_o wrote:
AK's true metal is the one for meBigGrin I have the Old bronze and Steel and they are amazing. When dry it can be polished too.

Steve

I Have to agree Steve I have been using them since release and they are very very good

Jason
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
magpie1832
#11 Posted : 02 March 2017 00:53:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

darbyvet wrote:
stevie_o wrote:

Steve

yes we have something similar in USA called rubnbuff. I will be building a steampunk submarine using the rubnbuff wax based paints soon.

Carl

Humbrol did one years ago that when dry you could buff it, the hard you buffed the deeper the shine.
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

roymattblack
#12 Posted : 02 March 2017 18:36:16

I'm going to try the Vallejo stuff.

I had a go at stirring the clappers out of my tin of fairly new Revell silver as suggested.
It made no difference whatever.
Still a gooey, gloopy 'stringy' gunge that leaves silver 'cobwebs' everywhere whenever you move the brush.

As the saying goes: 'The tin, is in, the bin'...

Roy
davetwin
#13 Posted : 02 March 2017 18:38:12

I have one colour only from the AK set Steve mentioned and have to agree it's fantastic stuff.

I have however just ordered the Vallejo set also mentioned above BigGrin