Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Will the entire series be like this? Options
Coser
#1 Posted : 20 March 2017 21:54:16

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Sorry for the newbie question, but will the entire series be like this? I mean, part one gets the big, shiny, BRG bonnet. That I can understand. But why also a hubcap, the front chrome piece, and the badge? Why the hubcap and not something so we could attach the other parts to the bonnet?

Part two includes some parts for the engine, and the base of one of the seats. Nothing that connects to anything else from part 1, or apparently, part 3. This I can actually understand the most. Give the prospective customer a look at the detail on the engine, and "Leather" after all.

Part 3 is another 2 part build, the steering wheel and the centre boss for it, and a tyre.

When does the build settle down to something we add to on a week-by-week basis? I am also building the Eaglemoss Delorean, and we have a rolling chassis by issue 15 of a 130 issue partwork. What is the prospect of either that or having completed the engine by then for the E-type?

I love the car, the model looks great - I picked up a copy of issue 1 to check it out, and the quality is excellent, but I don't want to get into something where I may have parts from issue 1 still waiting to be connected 3/4 of the way through - I don't have much room and I tend to lose things unless I'm super careful.

Current Builds
Eaglemoss: Ecto-1, BTTF Delorean [Installing Mods]
Hachette: T800 Endoskeleton
Agora Models Shelby Cobra 427 [Plate 031]
BanDai 1:5000 Imperial Star Destroyer
AMT 1991 U.S.S. Enterprise Bridge [Installing Mods & Lights]

Finished Builds
Deagostini: R2-D2 [Never getting batteries]
birdaj2
#2 Posted : 20 March 2017 22:37:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I have not seen a break down of how the parts are likely to be supplied but if it follows the 4 test editions from last year then issue 4 would have you starting the first wheel construction and while i do not know what issue 5 will bring i would expect it to complete the first wheel.

If that is the case you have your first tyre and magnetic hub cap which would all fit together very well.

Any partwork i have ever subscribed too will have "quieter" periods with simpke and quick assemble as well as more involved areas that require more build time.

I have never had a model were you are left with nothing to build when the oarts arrive.

Best thing to prevent lost parts would be a lidded box, maybe plastic of the sort you can pick up from the likes of argos, wilco, and many other suppliers.

Hope you consider this one because from what i have seen so far its going to be a good one.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Geoff44
#3 Posted : 21 March 2017 01:57:21

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

All these part builds seem to start like this, where you always get parts that don't come together until a few months into the build. The Honda CB750 was similar with the first four issues. As Tony has explained, some issues will contain parts that have to be put to one side until later and other issues you get a few parts that can be assembled in one session.
BUILDING - HONDA CB750 - HAYNES V8 VISIBLE ENGINE

NEXT BUILD - JAGUAR E-TYPE

GEOFF
Coser
#4 Posted : 21 March 2017 08:12:56

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I understand that you don't always get parts that add on to previous editions. The Eaglemoss Delorean issue 1 was the rear panel and nothing has been done with that since. The first issues are to draw people in to starting the collection.

Having said that, however, 15 issues in we have a full rolling chassis. 4 of those issues were full wheels, another 4 were the complete suspension units, one was the steering system, and another was the main chassis. It feels like things have been going together quicker on that than it will with the Jag as issue 1 has you combine a whole 2 parts, as will issue 3. It just makes it seem like the project is being dragged out.

Yes, I expect an issue or two with shinies to get the interest up - and this project has plenty to show off after all, gorgeous paintwork, leather seats - but how about an issue with plenty to build for us engineers? Something to give you a feeling of acomplishment and to say you have actually started the build rather than started a collection of parts?

Having said all that, I'm still 98% sure I'll get the entire thing. An E-type Jag in BRG, what's not to love?
Current Builds

Finished Builds
roymattblack
#5 Posted : 21 March 2017 09:27:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

A major factor with the E Type is that the car has no chassis so to get it 'rolling' in a few months really will not happen.

To get the wheels on, it would need the main body shell, front firewall and complete engine frame, plus the rear diff cage, all components that go with it and all suspension parts.

I can't see a shell with 4 wheels on it until around 2/3 of the way through due to the construction of the car.
Coser
#6 Posted : 21 March 2017 10:00:09

Roy, please don't think I am obsessed with having a rolling chassis. I was only using that as an example of the visible progress with the Delorean. It gives me a sense of accomplishment to see it apparently moving so quickly. There has been a much larger amount of construction in each issue than there appears to be with this.

I know there is not a chassis with the E-Type, but that should not stop visible signs of progress.

I have already said that I understand that the first few issues are to pull the customers in, but issue 3 is the first full price issue and all you get is the steering wheel and a tyre? That is seriously putting down the value of this collection just at the point the cost goes up.

I am definitely going to get one, but with R2 and the Delorean on my plate at the moment, it's going to have to be the last I sign up for.
Current Builds

Finished Builds
Tomick
#7 Posted : 21 March 2017 10:22:53

Groups:

Coser wrote:
It just makes it seem like the project is being dragged out.
In actual fact, the DeLorean takes 30 weeks (7 months) longer to construct than the Jaguar (DeLorean is 130 issues, Jaguar is 100). This means that in actual fact the Jaguar will be complete before DeLorean despite DeLorean going on sale back in Dec, and therefore you could say that the DeLorean is very stretched out in taking over 7 months longer to complete. Blink
Coser
#8 Posted : 21 March 2017 11:34:56

No, not really. Greater length of time to construct =/= less progress =/= being dragged out.

If the car in BTTF had been an E-Type, the situation would have been reversed, with the E-type taking 130 issues and the Delorean only being 100.

I find it quite reasonable that a car with added nuclear reactor, all that cabling, changes and additions to the interior would take much longer than a same scale 'stock' car.

It seems quite believable to me that 100 issues would make a 'stock' Delorean and 30 issues are for the modifications to make it into a time travel machine.

From the first issue, you can only combine 2 parts, the third issue you can't touch anything as you won't logically be able to put the centre boss into the steering wheel until AFTER you have attached the steering wheel to the steering column. The boss presumably being used to cover up the screw that was used to do so.

Issue 3 alone of the Delorean, we had a complete wheel to construct. I know that the E-type has much more intricate wheels, but we will also have demonstrably LESS progress at a point where we have completed 3% of the build.

I just wanted to know "With what issue does the construction begin in earnest?" and I don't believe that's an unreasonable question to ask. I am an engineer by profession and enjoy constructing things. I have no wish to end up collecting disparate parts for half the time, and actually building the model in the latter half of the build. If it's going to be like that, I'd rather wait until it's released as a full kit and do it then.

I am also not going to be deflected by attempts to say that this will complete before the Delorean. I know that. The Delorean will end up costing over £1,100 rather than the £900 ish of the Jag, but that also has no bearing on when the actual assembly will start to kick off.

If I had just got a simple answer to my question in the original thread, this would never have required it's own thread, and quoting me out of context doesn't answer my question either.

It's not like I asked you for Boyle's 1st Law (Don't eat greasy foods.) and if that answer is "I don't know." then it's better than I have gotten so far.
Current Builds

Finished Builds
birdaj2
#9 Posted : 21 March 2017 12:32:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Coser

I guess it is a difficult one to try and answer and I suppose for me the answer to your question would be we start in earnest with the build from issue 1.

Its 100 issues to complete the model and as I referred to earlier I have only had the advantage of seeing the first 4 issues which certainly from issues 1-3 have fairly simple assemble requirements.

Issue 4 will take some people slightly longer because you have to start lacing in the wires for the first wheel parts. Logically I would expect issue 5 to complete that wheels build.

While there will be a lot of parts to assemble over the course of the 100 issues I am not sure there will ever be a point that you will have "hours worth" of build time with masses of parts arriving in one go. What we are aiming for is a complete E Type Jag model and that only gets to that point at the end of the subscription.

Its one of the reasons I opted for this one having never made a kit of this type before because for me time is always against me and the I like the fact that its going to be quicker (per issue) to put together albeit over the course of the 100 issues.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
roymattblack
#10 Posted : 21 March 2017 12:58:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

I'm guessing that 'serious' assembly will start once there's an engine cradle.

The entire front end and engine could be built onto it without the body shell.
Once we get the lower floor and firewall, then the BIG build could start...

Other than all of us guessing, I suppose the answer really is 'I don't know'.
mattsr
#11 Posted : 21 March 2017 13:00:56

Just get on and build it? Enjoy it issue by issue and it will all come together in time. I really don't see what the problem is. Confused
Coser
#12 Posted : 21 March 2017 13:05:34

Thanks Tony. Best answer I seem to have gotten so far.

I'm just not impressed so far that the number of pieces to actually assemble seem so limited so far.

Issue 1 2 pieces connected and only a few seconds of work. Store everything.

Issue 2 6-7 pieces to connect and then store everything

Issue 3 nothing to do, just store the parts.

If you are correct and by issue 5 we will have completed a single wheel, I'll cheer up, but still the chilling thought is that there are 5 of them in this build. 2 issues a wheel means 10% of the build is wheels, but I'm actually happy with that given the intricacy of doing wire wheels and not just a plastic hubcap, 3 screws a tyre and the alloy main wheel section.
Current Builds

Finished Builds
Tomick
#13 Posted : 21 March 2017 13:15:23

Groups:

The length of a collection is not determined by kit content, its length is determined by making a return, i.e. the BTTF costs more to produce and therefore needs to run longer, this does not mean that its content has more parts compared to another same scale kit.

You mention you have enough on your plate with R2-D2 and BTFF, perhaps the best way forward for you on the Jaguar is to follow the Jaguar official build, which is being updated in advance of customers receiving parts. Where you can determine if its supply sequence and assembly meet with satisfaction. http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=topics&f=478
Or perhaps you could store your Jaguar issues and build in blocks of issues which is what many modellers do so as to provide longer modelling sessions.

More involved Jaguar E-TYPE assembly gets under way across issues 4 & 5 with the assembly of the first spoked spoked wheel & tyre, which many builders looking forward to the spoking of and is a first for a partwork model.

6-8 is the assembly of the first door, 10-13 is the assembly of the carb and engine block.

I am sure you will be happy with its build.
Coser
#14 Posted : 21 March 2017 14:08:07

Thank you Tomick, that's exactly the information I was looking for.

I did not need to be told about the economics of the situation, nor did I say I had enough on my plate. The hours I have to build things like this are far greater than the time I will spend on them, but I don't want to stretch myself financially to the point where I need overtime from work to get from month to month, hence the fact that I can only afford 1 more addition to the builds I have recently taken on. Other than that I will be building some other things, some of which I already have, some I will be buying over the coming months as I finish saving for them. Some will appear as build diaries on the site.

With the knowledge that the first wheel is issues 4 & 5, and that from then on it does seem that assembly continues in blocks - a door, more work on the engine - then I am more than happy. subscription will be going in tonight.
Current Builds

Finished Builds
Tomick
#15 Posted : 21 March 2017 14:16:29

Groups:

I'm sure you'll enjoy it Cool
Coser
#16 Posted : 21 March 2017 19:46:34

Subscribed, and got the confirmation. Just waiting for them to confirm the payment and I will start receiving issues. Can't wait for those wheels, they're fantastic.
Current Builds

Finished Builds
Geoff44
#17 Posted : 21 March 2017 21:12:12

I have been reading through these comments and I can understand that there isn't much to do with some issues as there are with others.
I started subscribing to my Honda build eighteen months ago and had to cancel work on it after the first four months, due to an illness, which put me in hospital for a few months. After that, I was still not well enough to continue building my model, even though I had received lots of parts over the time I was unwell. It is only in the past five or six weeks, that I have been able to carry on with the build, from where I left off. But one consolation is the fact that I now have plenty to be going on with, because I have just received pack 18. So far I have reached the stage where I have just completed the stage of assembling all the exhaust pipes together. I have quite a bit to do to reach pack 18 and just spend a few hours each week with my model, because I am still not 100% well enough to do too much at once.

The good thing about all this, is the fact I have lots of parts to work with and can build as much or as little as I want, without having to wait for parts. It will probably take me at least three to four months to catch up, bt which time I will be receiving the final parts for the completion.

I did intend doing a build diary on my Honda, but under the circumstances at the time I wouldn't have been able to keep it up.

However, I will be doing my Jag build diary which I have already set up. My health is improving daily, so hopefully I can get back to spending more time modelling again. Being retired, I can work at my leisure as time is no problem.

GEOFF
Coser
#18 Posted : 22 March 2017 09:45:31

Geoff,

I'm sorry to hear that you were not well enough to continue your build, but glad that you are getting better.

I myself am a Hypertensive, Depressive, Diabetic with Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis and Sleep Apnea who suffers from stress induced migraines.

I used to be very active in modelling Games Workshop's "Warhammer 40K" range, but feel that is too small for me now.

I am enjoying the builds I currently have up on this site, and plan on putting up more work as the weather improves here in the UK - mainly full kits of various subjects (Mainly SF, but I have a boat I want to get to work on as I have not tackled that sort of subject since I was about 12 years old [I'm now 48]).
Current Builds

Finished Builds
Geoff44
#19 Posted : 22 March 2017 13:33:18

Coser
Thank you for your comment. Yes disability can be a pain at times, when it prevents you from doing what you like doing, but somehow you get by. You are still a youngster compared to my 73 years. LOL

GEOFF