Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Best CA glue for brass Options
eebygum
#1 Posted : 28 March 2017 14:58:28

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Guys

I have just ordered this model D51 unfortunately there are non in stock, but a quick question, I would like to try and do it without painting it. If I do what is/are the best Make/type of CA glue to glue the brass parts?

Thanks in advance

Rgds

Terry
FINISHED BUILDS---- HMS Victory--Bismarck--Battleship Yamato-D51 Steam Train--Pocher Ferrari Testarossa--Soleil Royal--Schnellboot S-100--StageCoach 1848--HMS HOOD-- Delorean (Back to the Future)
darbyvet
#2 Posted : 28 March 2017 15:48:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I would recommend 2 part epoxy not CA for the brass parts.Quite a few of the brass parts of used CA on fell off and the white powder residue you get with superlgue will be visible on the brass parts

Carl

davetwin
#3 Posted : 28 March 2017 20:56:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I'm building the C57 myself, I'm using Araldite 2 part Epoxy resin for all the gluing.
jase
#4 Posted : 28 March 2017 21:18:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I use Devcon two part adhesives, I find them very good. but has also been using gorilla glue with very effective results.

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
eebygum
#5 Posted : 28 March 2017 22:21:16

Thanks Guys for the info, really appreciated. I'm not sure that the model is available anymore (BummerMad Angry

Thanks again

Rgds

Terry
FINISHED BUILDS---- HMS Victory--Bismarck--Battleship Yamato-D51 Steam Train--Pocher Ferrari Testarossa--Soleil Royal--Schnellboot S-100--StageCoach 1848--HMS HOOD-- Delorean (Back to the Future)
eebygum
#6 Posted : 29 March 2017 12:47:01

Hi Folks

Just Had confirmation from Admin(Tom) that the full kit is available and I will be receiving it shortlyBigGrin BigGrin BigGrin Happy Days

Rgds

Terry
Mustang
#7 Posted : 29 March 2017 19:38:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Now I'm sure some of the veterans are going to Scared at this.

But I use loctite super glue on my kits, I used it when I build my Flying Scostsman O gauge on most of the brass bits and the white metal parts I had no issues with clouding/whiting or parts not staying together, I built it about 6 years ago and it's still all holding together in one piece.

I also use it on the plastic kits for fixing eduard parts and white metal bits, including the Harrier I'm building at the moment.

I personally believe it's down to the user and the way it's used, on brass bits as long as there clean and you have ruffed up the two surfaces of the parts they should glue together and not come apart.

I've even used it to secure a clear plastic canopy to a kit without any effect to the clear part.

It down to the amount of glue you use, you can get these ca applicators but me I just use the tip of and old scaple blade.

I also use 2 part epoxy resins but that's more for parts that need a lot of strength when finished.
My Favourite Building:- 1919 https://forum.model-spac...=339517&#post339517 -

Current Build - 0-6-0 https://forum.deagostini...=351803&#post351803 Enterprise D - https://forum.deagostini...=posts&t=35768&

Built:-. HMS Bounty, RMS Titanic, MP4-23, Flying Scotsman, Aston Martin DB5, Honda CB750, Mustang, R2-D2, Jaguar, DeLorean, Testarossa, Stage Coach plus many plastic kits.
Dry dock no room to display:-. Bismarck, U96.
To build:-
. HMS Hood. HMS Victory. Cutty Sark. SoS, Lancaster bomber. DR1 Triplane. JU-87. Plus many many plastic kits.
eebygum
#8 Posted : 29 March 2017 22:11:52

Thanks for the info Mustang

Rgds

Terry