#61 Posted : 27 April 2016 07:33:59

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Thanks John!
Garfield59
#62 Posted : 02 May 2016 22:14:24

So after having my PC fixed and returned to me a week later than scheduled I discovered that I had managed to lose all my documents - including my Victory photos.

Thankfully I managed to recover virtually everything using a wonderful piece of software called "Recuva".

I am therefore able to post a few pictures of the port aft quarter where I had to cut away the planking from the ribs to make the por and starboard sides level. I still need to take some pictures of the completed repair and the start of my porthole cutting.

More pics soon!

Garfield59 attached the following image(s):
DSCF2717_640x480.jpg
DSCF2723_640x480.jpg
DSCF2722_640x480.jpg
Gandale
#63 Posted : 02 May 2016 23:14:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great to see you back and posting pics again....

Regards

Alan
Garfield59
#64 Posted : 03 May 2016 22:34:56

Not much progress on lower deck gunports but I have started several with the intention of trimming and finishing them all. I'm drilling a series of 2mm holes inside the gunport outline; cutting between the holes with a knife and finishing with a file of sanding stick.

I have attached a couple of photos showing the intact port aft corner and the beginning of gunports. Pack 4 is due this month so I had better get my act together.

Will keep you posted.

Gary
Garfield59 attached the following image(s):
DSCF2728_640x480.jpg
DSCF2729_640x480.jpg
DSCF2731_640x480.jpg
DSCF2732_640x480.jpg
Gandale
#65 Posted : 03 May 2016 22:58:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nice work on the gun ports Gary, the method you are using to cut them out is probably the best way to do it.... Well done, keep the pics coming....

Regards

Alan
z8000783
#66 Posted : 04 May 2016 05:56:59

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Looking good Gary. It's a bit of a haul doing these but at least they're easy. Slow but sure as ever. You can always take a little more off but it's harder to put it back.
ian smith
#67 Posted : 04 May 2016 13:52:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good Gary. keep the pictures coming
Regards Ian
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Garfield59
#68 Posted : 22 July 2016 08:32:21

Well a new job and lots going on around the house mean I haven't touched the model for almost two months. However, I'm hoping to get back to the gun ports in the next week or so.
I've just been catching up by reading your many posts and am now looking forward to posting pictures of progress soon.
I'm pretty sure Box 5 is due soon so that will be another reminder to get my backside into gear!
Regards
Gary
Garth
#69 Posted : 22 July 2016 09:11:37

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Gary,
Glad to see you back again. Just read through your build. Its certainly coming on nicely. Good work - Well done, and keep the pix coming.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
Garfield59
#70 Posted : 08 November 2016 23:22:04

Hi everyone!
It's been a long time since I have done anything to the model but tonight I cut out some more of the lower gunports so we're back in business!
However, I noticed that when working on some openings the adjacent planking seemed to be flexing so I made up a thin PVA solution, put the model on her side and brushed it over the planking around the gun ports. It should get into any small gaps between planks and provide some reinforcement.
Well boxes 4,5 and 6 are stacked up and 7 is due at the end of this month so I have plenty to get on with.
Work is likely to get busier as Xmas approaches but I will try to spend an hour or two on the Victory model on those days when I am not working.
Will post photos once there is some obvious progress.
Regards, Gary
DaDokta
#71 Posted : 09 November 2016 09:26:48

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Gary!

Glad you are back with her!

It`s generally a good advise to apply diluted wood-glue throughout the inside of the hull for more stability - not just around the gun-ports.

Keep up the good work!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
Garfield59
#72 Posted : 28 November 2016 09:31:36

Box 7 has arrived and is sitting in a pile with the rest! However I have made some progress and completed the lower gun port openings. In several places the wood between openings seemed fragile and so I have been adding diluted glue to give a bit more strength.
I also noticed that a couple of the aft frames are no longer vertical where they stick up above the planking. I guess that's what happens when you leave the model off the building dock for ages with various temperature changes during different times of the year. Victory is now back on the building dock and I will pull them back into shape with some removable temporary structure before I continue planking.
Hope to post some photos soon and make some progress this week as I'm not at work but when I go back the shop will be preparing for the Xmas rush so no chance again for a few weeks.
Gary
Garfield59
#73 Posted : 28 March 2017 07:54:44

Well, time flies when you're busy! Box 9 arrived yesterday and I still need to complete gun ports! Lots going on recently mean Victory has been neglected but I do want to get started again very soon. I do dip into the forum now and again to see how familiar names are getting on.
I will post photos as soon as I get back into shipbuilding mode.
Looking forward to reporting progress soon.
Gary
magpie1832
#74 Posted : 28 March 2017 20:18:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks great Garfield, nice work on the gunports, they are time consuming to cut out but look great when done.

Chris Cool Cool
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

jase
#75 Posted : 28 March 2017 21:12:33

Looking forward to your next update

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
NikonD60
#76 Posted : 02 April 2017 12:01:27

Looking good Gary and good to see you back.

Our builds are running more or less alongside each other so I know where you are coming from. Cutting the gun ports is a long and repetitive job (wait until we have to line them!) but as you go on with the planking, you can see the ship starting to take shape and this encourages you to move forward with it.

I have just finished the upper planking and I'm about to start on the lower hull.

Good luck,

Alan.
Today is the tomorrow you wished for yesterday!