Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Classic races - Monaco 1965 Options
Zeptrader
#1 Posted : 12 March 2011 17:20:55

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

I suppose I’d better start by explaining the footage, I’ve been collecting now for near on 10 years, but its only been on DVD format for the last 5 years. I received some years back a DVD recorder so transferring the old vhs tapes was quite easy. Looking at the end result is ok but I knew it could get better.
I found a guy that sells these classic races on DVD and decided to build the collection again, starting with the races I’ve heard about (Classic GP), then fill in the gaps, believe me he has loads.
I got some 9 DVD’s in the post the other day and started with the race I’ll review here.

Monaco May 30th 1965 (round 2)
This footage is a recent find (last year) up till then its been a programme called ‘Wheelbase’ consisting only Thursday practice footage with interviews, bit like Top Gear of its day, some great interviews with Graham Hill and Jackie Stewart (in his first full season). Wheelbase runs only for 25 mins and shows the track and a rainy session. Again this can be found on the net via youtube or the like’s. (TYPE: Wheelbase – 1965 Monaco GP) and look for the videos.

The new dvd has a running time of 1hr 36mins and is of course black & white with natural sound, only the engine sounds and occasional interview.

It starts with an introduction with Phil Hill, then moves onto the cars being pushed to the grid slots, some familiar faces present, the cleark of the course calls his famous open air meeting with the drivers (talking in French) Lorenezo Bandini, Jo Siffert, Jo Bonnier, Richard Attwood are amongst the drivers huddled in a circle to listen to the rules of the start. “Only”, he says “and only after I count 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and drop the flag will you go, be careful”

The camera pans out to the starting grid, true to his words he counts, but damn he left it very close to move out of the way.

The two BRMs made the best starts and so Hill(3) led Stewart (4) for the early part of the race chased by Bandini, Surtees, Brabham and McLaren.
At this point I got to say Jackie Stewart gave Hill are serious early race, right on his gear box by less than a cars length at one point.

On lap 25 Hill was coming up to lap the private Brabham of Bob Andersonwhich was going very slowly because of a mechanical problem. Hill had to go up an escape road to avoid hitting the backmarker and he dropped to fifth place. This again was not shown of the footage but can be viewed online.

Stewart led for the next four laps and then had a spin at Ste Devote and dropped to fourth, just ahead of Hill. This left Brabham in the lead, the Australian having worked his way up past the two Ferraris, but he went out with an engine failure soon afterwards and so Bandini was left ahead.

While this was going on Hill was making progress, having passed Stewart and then Hill.

On lap 65 he(Hill) took the lead from Bandini while Stewart closed on Surtees and took third place on lap 77. Two laps later there was a dramatic incident when Paul Hawkins spun his private Lotus at the chicane and went into the harbor. He emerged unhurt. (not shown on footage)

Hill duly recorded his third consecutive Monaco victory, and probably his best drive ever.
1 - Graham Hill – 2hrs 38mins 39secs
2 – Lornezo Bandini – 2hrs 38mins 43secs
3- Jackie Stewart – 2hrs 39mins 21secs
As for the quality of the footage, some tape interference that does spoil this great race but I’m not worried, this is a classic buy some margin.

Best for me to mention that non of these dvd's are for sale or trade, they are my personal collection, thanks:)