Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages 123>»
Birdseye View of the Trinidad Options
CaptnBirdseye
#1 Posted : 19 April 2017 09:39:40

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Folks!
After a bit of procrastination, i have today taken the plunge and subscribed to the Trinidad! Love.

I have ordered and built the larger of the 2 Hobbyzone model slipways (could have done with a build diary for that too LOL ), and now eagerly awaiting my first delivery. I would like to try to build her with minimum paint, so as to show the natural beauty of the wood, but i guess it depends on how well i get on (paint would cover a multitude of sins!). I will update this diary when i can.

I would like to thank everyone who helped contribute to this decision to build the Trinidad, and look forward to hearing your comments and, obviously, your help.

Regards
The Captn.

CaptnBirdseye
#2 Posted : 19 April 2017 10:55:25

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Here is a photo of the jig. As others have said, it is massive! Bought from Hobbies
Limited of Norfolk. Very well built mind, just sparse instrutions. Should be able to accomodate this build.
Thanks for looking.
The Captn
CaptnBirdseye attached the following image(s):
IMG_0480.JPG
birdaj2
#3 Posted : 19 April 2017 14:52:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Well you certainly look set with all the right bits and pieces.

Hope you get a lot of enjoyment with this build.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
CaptnBirdseye
#4 Posted : 19 April 2017 17:22:08

birdaj2 wrote:
Well you certainly look set with all the right bits and pieces.

Hope you get a lot of enjoyment with this build.

Thanks Tony, your not wrong there! I am sure it will be a pleasure looking at all of the build diaries BigGrin

regards
The Captn
arpurchase
#5 Posted : 19 April 2017 19:19:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice choice on the Trinny and the stand/dry dock should do you well.

The trinny has some nice different coloured hardwoods in the kit aswell as for the X-section so with some carefull building you will get to show these off. The hull is double planked so dont worry too much how the first layer looks it just needs to be flat and well glued so the second planking sits just so. It may also be easyer to fit the dummy gunport blanks and the ladder block before the planking goes on it just makes them easyer to place.

You could consider using Danish oil for the decks and shellac for the hull or just use a good varnish Using either or all will give a great finish.

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

davetwin
#6 Posted : 19 April 2017 19:49:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great choice with the Santisima Trinidad.

I have a work in progress of it myself, although it has come to halt a little while ago and now struggle to find time to continue. I'm probably going to have my father in law complete it for me as he has built the Victory and Sovereign of the Seas.

The Trinidad is a great looking ship and contains lots of really nice different types of hard wood to really enhance the finish Drool

I hope you enjoy building her Cool
CaptnBirdseye
#7 Posted : 19 April 2017 19:53:48

Hi Andy thanks for the encouragement. Funnily enough I though when reading the build why the dummy gunports are not fitted earlier, as you say it looks easier to do it before the hull planking.
Regarding paint vs plain, I'll just have to take my time and see how it comes out at the time BigGrin

Regards
The Captn
CaptnBirdseye
#8 Posted : 19 April 2017 19:56:51

davetwin wrote:
Great choice with the Santisima Trinidad.

I have a work in progress of it myself, although it has come to halt a little while ago and now struggle to find time to continue. I'm probably going to have my father in law complete it for me as he has built the Victory and Sovereign of the Seas.

The Trinidad is a great looking ship and contains lots of really nice different types of hard wood to really enhance the finish Drool

I hope you enjoy building her Cool

Hi Dave
Thanks for viewing. Shame about not having the time to finish your model as it is coming on great guns ( all 140 of them lol). At least if your father in law can complete it she'll be going to a good home.

Regards
The Captn
jase
#9 Posted : 19 April 2017 20:12:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Glad you took the plung, will be following and happy to help further if you need anything

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
CaptnBirdseye
#10 Posted : 19 April 2017 20:50:31

jase wrote:
Glad you took the plung, will be following and happy to help further if you need anything

Jase

Thanks mate, I'm sure I'll need it BigGrin I meant to ask....how come you only got the cross section?
Regards Gray
jase
#11 Posted : 19 April 2017 21:23:47

CaptnBirdseye wrote:
jase wrote:

Jase

Thanks mate, I'm sure I'll need it BigGrin I meant to ask....how come you only got the cross section?
Regards Gray

I purchased the cross section as a separate kit not through DeAg. its a great kit in it own right and a great addition to the full ship, sure you will enjoy building it. With Victory the cross section was at the end of the series not sure if it is the same for your trinny.

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Gandale
#12 Posted : 19 April 2017 23:02:29

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Think you've chosen a first class build, this is one I have in my stash too and one day I'll get round to building her... Look forward to seeing how you progress so good luck with the build and enjoy the experience....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Tomick
#13 Posted : 20 April 2017 09:11:01

Groups:

Look forward to seeing your progress Cool
arpurchase
#14 Posted : 20 April 2017 15:26:13

BigGrin Hi You may find the link below useful as it gives the correct roll out of parts:-

http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&t=13387

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

CaptnBirdseye
#15 Posted : 20 April 2017 16:06:02

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi You may find the link below useful as it gives the correct roll out of parts:-

http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&t=13387

AndyCool

Thanks Andy, i had noticed that from looking thru the build diaries before i ordered.I just thought that as it had been raised a long time ago DA would have rectified it by now. Confused

regards
Gray
arpurchase
#16 Posted : 20 April 2017 17:25:14

BigGrin The roll out will not change because its the inclusion of the x-section parts that has thrown things out.

If the x-section was supplied at the end of the build like the Victory one was then the sequence would be ok. It was highlighted as a guide for builders only just in case of any confusion.Cool

CaptnBirdseye
#17 Posted : 25 April 2017 20:39:00

Stage 1
Look what arrived today!!! Love
Well, made a start but I think I've made the caulking on the decking too dark (used a marker pen instead of pencil).
Have to see what it looks like when I sand it down.
Otherwise generally quite happy so far Cool
CaptnBirdseye attached the following image(s):
631ED79F-CEB3-4F97-A421-1457E09A22E9 (Medium).JPG
7665D989-1BE5-4A0A-ADD5-2ABC6A5B2470 (Medium).JPG
20854A71-9418-457E-8E68-E1D92044D1C2 (Medium).JPG
A12C61B0-C7C6-423E-BF78-A494A9E93CA8 (Medium).JPG
birdaj2
#18 Posted : 25 April 2017 20:59:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good start to your build.

It looks like you have opted to use the newer smaller build board? Its a nice addition to the larger one they make and will serve you well over the years with some of the smaller models you might go fir.

Hope you have some great enjoyment from building this one.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Martyn Ingram
#19 Posted : 25 April 2017 21:00:17

BigGrin Looking forward to seeing your build Cool . I have used marker pens and they do tend to bleed into the wood so I only use pencil now Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
arpurchase
#20 Posted : 25 April 2017 21:02:09

Blink The pen you have used has bled into the wood so no amount of sanding will straighten out the caulking lines. Best to have used a pencil to do this its a mistake I made also many moons ago apart from that the planks are tidy and well laidCool