Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Neil's Victory Build Diary Options
darkwoodster
#1 Posted : 18 April 2017 22:35:07

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hello Gang,

This has been a while coming. I started my Victory build about 18 months ago. So I've been meaning to start a build diary and i've finally got round to it.

I'll tell you my motivation to build this model. When I was 15 I asked my Mum & Dad for a model of the HMS Pandora for christmas. I was lucky enough to receive my wish. However soon after opening the box, I realised I was way out of my depth, I didn't have the correct tools, confidence or experience to take on such a challenge. Then came my super hero, my Grandad was a keen model builder, but had never built ships. He said he would help me build it. He did just that and together we completed a wonderful model (95% him/ 5% me). I kept it proudly in my house until when I was about 23, when I worked in my local furniture shop, I put it on display in the window to help attract customers. It was in there about a month when a customer came in and offered me a chunk of money for it. I was struggling financially at the time. I regrettably sold it. It was heart breaking telling my Grandad. This has been one of my greatest regrets of my life. My Grandad went on to build another 8 ships because he loved it so much, but sadly past away shortly after this.

2 years ago I was on a mission to find the person who bought the Pandora to hopefully buy it back. It is a long story but I was sadly unsuccessful. I knew my Grandad loved the HMS Victory but never built the model. So in sincere memory of him. I decided to take on the mission to create what he would have loved to create.

This is my first proper build of this kind. So i'm very much a novice. However I have learnt so much from the challenges I've faced.

Here are some photos leading upto my progress to date:
File Attachment(s):
IMG_2718.JPG (596kb) downloaded 60 time(s).
IMG_2983.JPG (579kb) downloaded 42 time(s).
IMG_2984.JPG (506kb) downloaded 41 time(s).
IMG_2985.JPG (589kb) downloaded 43 time(s).
IMG_2986.JPG (578kb) downloaded 41 time(s).
IMG_3033.JPG (556kb) downloaded 42 time(s).
IMG_3034.JPG (538kb) downloaded 42 time(s).
IMG_3102.JPG (283kb) downloaded 41 time(s).
IMG_3227.JPG (551kb) downloaded 42 time(s).
IMG_3228.JPG (604kb) downloaded 40 time(s).
IMG_3229.JPG (465kb) downloaded 39 time(s).
IMG_3230.JPG (548kb) downloaded 60 time(s).
Gandale
#2 Posted : 18 April 2017 22:51:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Neil

Looks like you've been progressing very nicely with this and very pleased to hear you're enjoying the experience.. all looking good....Cool Cool

It would be easier for members to see your pics if you resize them to 600 x 450 pixels or make sure the file size is no larger than 140kb. If you stick to this you will see your pics appear on your diary rather than members having to download them to view..... Cool Cool

Keep the pics coming, I'll enjoy following your progress....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
darkwoodster
#3 Posted : 18 April 2017 23:15:35

Sorry about attaching the images. I have figured out how to post them properly, hopefully. So here goes again:

birdaj2
#4 Posted : 19 April 2017 09:22:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That is a very touching story and makes your build even more special.

It all looks like it is coming along very well and that little launch looks fab.

Hope it all continues to go well for you.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
pemberg
#5 Posted : 19 April 2017 11:33:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Coming along nicely, keep up the good work and keep the updates coming.

Graeme
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 19 April 2017 14:58:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice update, this is one ship I love to see come together.

Regards
Mark
Spal
#7 Posted : 19 April 2017 16:44:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That's coming along nicely Cool keep up the good work.

Al
delboy271155
#8 Posted : 19 April 2017 17:51:23

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Having read your story, that has to be some motivation to help you on your way with the Vic.

I wish you good luck with the rest of your build and Congrats on your "Blue" medal for starting this diary.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

arpurchase
#9 Posted : 19 April 2017 19:20:45

BigGrin Good luck with the build im sure you will make a great job of herCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Garth
#10 Posted : 20 April 2017 12:26:24

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Neil,

Congratulations on a great build, your planking is looking superb.
My sympathies for your loss.
Looking forward to following your build.

Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
jase
#11 Posted : 20 April 2017 13:00:22

Your progress is great so far, lots of support on the Forum if you need it

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
NikonD60
#12 Posted : 20 April 2017 16:46:41

Great build so far Neil.

Good to see that you started your diary and I look forward to your updates.

Alan.
Today is the tomorrow you wished for yesterday!
darkwoodster
#13 Posted : 20 April 2017 17:43:15

Thank you for the words of moral support :-)

I'm now on with the last 10 planks. It's getting exciting. It's a great relief to finish the more tedious tasks. But in saying that I have found the planking process quite therapeutic.

I have been inspired by Steve's build and plan to copper tile the hull with copper tape. Here is a test piece I've prepared with and without weathering. I'd love to know your thoughts and advice.

Many thanks,

Neil