Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Millennium Falcon airlocks Options
bandersnatch
#1 Posted : 06 May 2017 22:43:07

Groups: Registered

Has anyone else have trouble fitting the airlocks to the Falcon?
I can't get them to fit.
TheKraken
#2 Posted : 07 May 2017 04:37:14

Odds are, you didn't have the small flat sidewalls immediately on either side of the airlocks placed in all the way and completely flush. I heard of a lot of people having that problem before I got to it. I made it a point to be sure to pop them all the way in (which requires a fair bit of force). I didn't have the issue but certainly see how it can be a problem if you don't get them all the way in there.
Corellian Hyperdrive
#3 Posted : 14 May 2017 16:19:19

I can't believe how crappy the attachment is for the airlocks. Four little glued pins are fine to hold them on, but what's going to happen later when somebody tries to pick up the entire 27 pound ship by placing their hands there? Those crappy little pins are going to break loose and the ship is going to drop like a rock. The airlocks are the most common places to grab for lifting but are the absolute weakest attached parts of the ship. They are poorly designed and should have been screwed on.
davetwin
#4 Posted : 14 May 2017 16:47:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

You are right in saying the air locks are not held on by small pins, this is because they are not designed to hold the weight of the whole model being lifted.

In fact, every time I have moved my Falcon, which was a lot while building it, I used one hand in front of the airlock on one side and one hand behind the airlock on the other so that the weight is distributed through the whole model via the internal structure and panels screwed to it.
Corellian Hyperdrive
#5 Posted : 14 May 2017 21:00:06

As builders, we know where the ship is strong and where it is weak. We know better than to lift by the airlocks or mandibles. But what about second hand owners and non builders who don't know the danger of the flimsy airlocks? I can foresee many a falcon being badly damaged or destroyed from unintentional drops resulting from people trying to move it by placing their hands in the logical position, (which would be one on each side of the ship) i.e. the airlocks, and having one pop off unexpectedly. Can the ship's structure survive a fall from 3 feet?
I certainly would not care to find out.