Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Some advice please on how to build Options
azzhatmax
#1 Posted : 16 May 2017 23:19:07

Groups: Registered

Hello everyone.
I am finally on the last leg of the collection 1 more delivery to go then the build time starts.

My Q is- What would be the best way to go about building it all up

i.e do i build it like a model as in issue 1 fits on to issue 2 and so forth or do i have to build each individual issue and store that particular build.

Are their any actual complete build plans as in a step by step complete guide

Only reason why i ask all this is that myself and my son have not looked at any of the issues as yet because we want to build it all up together, my sons only 12 so i imagine i will end up doing most of it lol

Any advice is more than appreciated
Many Thanks all
Mike.
Bill-Devine
#2 Posted : 16 May 2017 23:28:56

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I guess the first thing you really need to decide is are you going to build the kit as it came or are you going to upgrade things i.e. like adding fiber optic or 3D printed upgraded parts?

If you are building as is just going through issue by issue should work out just fine.

Personally I have been upgrading my Falcon so I have jumped between issues for doing this. My work is slow going as I have other things I am doing that I have to divide my time to do. Currently building a second 3D printer and thinking about the design of a third 3D printer along with golfing and playing some games on my XBox One.

Best of luck on your build you will find a lot of useful information here in the build diaries.
Make things as simple as possible but not simpler... - Albert Einstein
Metal Mech
#3 Posted : 16 May 2017 23:29:30

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The instructions were designed to be built in order of magazine. However you can skip around if like it just means some backtracking later. I chose to build the frame sections first and then work on the panels. Plan to do interior last if I even do it at all.

I remember that there was talk of a complete instruction manual being sent to us after it was done but haven't heard any more about it.

DeAgostini kit builds:

Millennium Falcon: 18% Complete
Shelby GT-500: 28% Complete
Thunderbird 2: 13.75% Complete
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 16 May 2017 23:43:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

I would at least read through the magazines and plan your build, as it has been planned in Order of issues. The frame and two halves assembly will need to be done step by step. Cockpit and inner parts can be build as you like, but you will need to build some parts and attach them before building another section. The cockpit and inner areas are built at the start of the issues, then stored for later after building the frame and hull pieces, so you could build these later before when you have finished the frames.
But I would definitely urge you to read and plan your build. Be careful if you intend to build later parts first, as some of the parts will need to be fitted in order, as they will not be accessible later.
Enjoy your build with your son and please post your progress.

Regards
Mark
azzhatmax
#5 Posted : 17 May 2017 09:29:00

Many Thanks to you all for your advice.
I will certainly build it all issue by issue as it makes sense
Ideally yes i would love to upgrade some of the optics and LEDs but we will see.
I will post our build progress as we go.
Thanks once again guys.

how do i post progress pics in hear by the way
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 17 May 2017 10:02:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Hi Mike.

Follow this link here, regarding uploading photo's.

How to upload Photo's

Regards
Mark
Moonman
#7 Posted : 18 May 2017 12:29:29

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Mike,

Mark is dead on with regard to his advice. I was faced with the same question but quickly found that this kit is sufficiently well designed and each installment does proceed in a logical progression. I just recently noticed however, that when upgrading the LED lighting, planning ahead can save a lot of headache. Some upgrades are better facilitated when select components are not permanently installed. For example,the paragrafix upgrade to the rear engine LED grills should be added before you complete the installment of issue 91-94 (I hope I remember this correctly).

In any event, enjoy the build, take your time and decide to what extent you wish to upgrade the kit before proceeding.