Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

SOOO tempted Options
roymattblack
#1 Posted : 18 May 2017 21:26:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

First off, I'm not a huge sci-fi fan.
That said, I do love Star Wars (not the later three rubbish movies without the original cast) and - dare I say - Star Trek.

I've been peeping at the Falcon builds and I have to say I'm really tempted by it.
The only thing putting me off is that it's SOOO BIG!

My 'cave' is already stuffed to the seams with gigantic cars and there are many more on the way.
Thunderbird 2 is also a possibility, and the Falcon - well - just nowhere to put it.
If I had wall space, I'd fix it flat to the wall but even that isn't viable.

Then there's the potential X-Wing.
Oh dear.
What on earth will I do if DeAg ever do a monumental Star Trek Enterprise...???
darbyvet
#2 Posted : 18 May 2017 21:36:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Go for it.Its big, but it is also fairly flat.You can put it into a coffee table

One of the partwork companies did a Star trek Enterprise kit a few years ago and apparently it didnt sell well at all.

Carl

davetwin
#3 Posted : 18 May 2017 22:01:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

It is an amazing build, but yes, it is MASSIVE!! You do have the option of mounting it to the wall with the wall bracket if need be
birdaj2
#4 Posted : 18 May 2017 22:02:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I feel for you on this one Roy.

I keep seeing more and more that i want but i am running of of room to even store them un-made.

Agree with you on star wars as the later films just seemed to lack something. Maybe the fact that the early ones were just so ahead of their time in evey sense that they could not be bettered despite advances in film making.

Its very much like some of the old comedy programnes such things as dads army, on the buses - the list goes on (people groaning now saying what is he on) What you had were people that knew how to act (they had been brought up on it), they knew how to follow a script, and then you had people that could write a script.

Sadly (and its me getting old) the holy trilogy above usually lacks one or other element in my book.

And as much as i loved star trek that became so watered down in terms of how it diversified into so many directions although one of the phrases i have adopted is called "the star trek syndrome" which i credit jean luc piquard for. He always says "make it so no 1", never a clue how no 1 will do that and do you know in my industry i work with people who demonstrate the "star trek syndrome" to the letter BigGrin

live long and prosper (although our hobbies will probable make use poorer people in terms of money but happier in terms of pleasure snd enjoyment)
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Tomick
#5 Posted : 18 May 2017 22:07:44

Groups:

darbyvet wrote:
Go for it.Its big, but it is also fairly flat.You can put it into a coffee table

One of the partwork companies did a Star trek Enterprise kit a few years ago and apparently it didnt sell well at all.

Carl

It was DeAgostini and did not progress beyond its test in Japan
roymattblack
#6 Posted : 18 May 2017 22:13:48

Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Just as well!!!
I'd be skint! lol.
Tomick
#7 Posted : 18 May 2017 22:17:31

Groups:

Even the "Star Trek Experience" in the USA closed down an no plans to reopen it, perhaps its popularity is over the hill?
darbyvet
#8 Posted : 18 May 2017 22:29:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

There is still Star trek continues for fans of TOS.It is quite good.

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/aboutus.html

Carl

darbyvet
#9 Posted : 18 May 2017 22:42:44

There is also this place near to where I live.Havent made it there yet

https://www.startrektour.com/

Markwarren
#10 Posted : 18 May 2017 22:45:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

The Falcon, is by far the biggest model I have built. It sits in a display case in the spare room, now known as the Star Wars room. I didn't wall mount it as I didn't want the dust getting to it. Although I have yet to finish it, it is an impressive piece of kit and well worth it.

Mark
Metal Mech
#11 Posted : 19 May 2017 03:55:59

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

darbyvet wrote:
There is still Star trek continues for fans of TOS.It is quite good.

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/aboutus.html

Carl

There is also a new tv show called Star Trek Duscovery this fall.

On topic it's an awesome kit and I plan to put it in a coffee table.

DeAgostini kit builds:

Millennium Falcon: 18% Complete
Shelby GT-500: 28% Complete
Thunderbird 2: 13.75% Complete
roymattblack
#12 Posted : 19 May 2017 07:59:46

Thanks for all the input guys.

As an aside, I also watch Star Trek continues and it's flippin' good.
The lead actor has nailed Shatner's Kirk.
(The ships councillor is quite - ahem - 'nice' too...)
darbyvet
#13 Posted : 19 May 2017 14:20:23

roymattblack wrote:
Thanks for all the input guys.

As an aside, I also watch Star Trek continues and it's flippin' good.
The lead actor has nailed Shatner's Kirk.
(The ships councillor is quite - ahem - 'nice' too...)

yes I was surprised how good it was for an amateur production.I believe that is why (?) NBC has allowed them to keep making more episodes.

Carl